1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealership transaxle fluid change nightmare

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by liquidtenmillion, Feb 17, 2017.

1. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2015 Toyota Prius and it has 30,000 miles on it. I took it to the dealership to have the oil and filter changed and to have the transaxle fluid drained and refilled.

The very next day while I was driving to work I noticed that the battery was slowly losing capacity and would not ever charge after 10 minutes of that very suddenly I detected that odor of smoke and then the message hybrid system over he appeared in the car shut off. When I pop the hood smoke was billowing out. When you look at the engine compartment you can see transmission fluid all in the engine compartment

I had the car towed to the dealership that did the work. what do you think they may have done wrong and also do you think that driving a total of 25 feet with the overheat message on did any permanent damage. It did not look like the transmission fluid being hot what's causing the smoke, but it look like the inverter it's self was smoking.

what should I do? Should I trust this car still? I have never heard of such a thing I could have done this myself with no problem have you ever heard of a dealership messing up a simple drain and refill for the transaxle? I even explicitly told him to do a drain and refill.

All other fluid levels look normal and it does not appear that there a problems with the pumps because you can see the fluid have some turbulence .

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Keep all your paperwork safe-and-close, talk to the service manager first. They might just owe you a new car...

Or at the very least some major/free wrenching: new transaxle and inverter??

Post any news, what they say.

3. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I paid 19,900 for it used with 1500 miles on it. The cheapest priuses list for new are like 25,000. The only used priuses thy have are way more used than mine or are a lower year.

What would that process be? The dealership over the phone this morning said there is no way there service caused this, what can I do?
    The vehicle is still under comprehensive warranty.

4. Neohippy

Neohippy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sounds like they didn't put the fill plug back in if you have transmission fluid everywhere. Sounds like it might have locked up and the load on the engine shut it down.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no transmission fluid on the ground, only in the engine compartment also. The inverted was smoking. Would forgetting to put the fill bolt on cause the system to overheat?

Would it cause permanent damage? How would I go about having them get me a new car or an extended warranty?

Also the dealer was able to start it after it stopped for 30 minutes. There are no codes as verified by myself.

EDIT: the dealer just called me and said it was doing this because they filled the gen 3 "gen 2" style, which caused him to put SIX quarts into the system.

Is this BS? He said he drained the excess and that it is good to go now and I can pick it up.

I don't see how a transmission can shoot fluid into the engine compartment when overfilled and hen just be fine after a proper drain and fill. What do you guys think? I hope my unnecessary preventative maintenance didn't just ruin my vehicle.

#5 liquidtenmillion, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Log everything they say, hang onto all your paperwork, get paperwork on this latest visit, talk to the dealership owner. If he's siding with the Service Manager, then contact corporate Toyota. This stinks.

Merkey and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sorry, should have read more carefully: who in the dealership were you talking with, a service writer, or the service manager, or the general manager?

If none of them are going to own up on this I would go straight to Toyota USA.

8. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And make sure to take pictures to document the damage

9. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did take pictures of the engine compartment but there isn't really any damage per say just that there's transmission fluid all over the place and that there was smoke billowing out. All components look normal to me.

I was talking to the service manager and the only thing he did for me was hook me up with a free rental.

he says the car is ready they won't be doing anything else so when I go to pick it up what should I be looking out for I do have an OBD reader and I can check system temperatures and the like.

Do you think it is possible to drive 18 miles with 6.5 quarts in the transaxle without causing damage? Do you think is even possible to get 6.5 quarts into the transaxle? Where could they have possibly even attempted to fill it up?

do you think if I have problems Toyota corporate will help out I have pictures I have the service records showing that they performed the transmission fluid change but I noticed it just says transmission fluid change 90 bucks it does not list the parts.

The service record they just emailed me specifically says that they overfilled by 3 quarts do you think if I keep this and a problem occurs that Toyota corporate will look at that? should I just immediately take it to another Toyota dealership?

Thank you very much for your help and reply so far this is one of the most knowledgeable car communities I have ever been a part of . Ps as far as I knew gen 2 and 3 use the same process.

Transaxle fluid change, a good way to shorten the life of your vehicle by 200,000 miles... :(

10. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I would report what you've described here to Toyota corporate and ask that they evaluate the possible damage and to extend your warranty (at least related to the overfill) in the event any unforeseen issues develop from the dealers mistake. Get whatever they say in writing.

Mendel Leisk and Bluegrassman like this.
  11. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you know how to contact Toyota corporate?

12. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Use the 'contact us' link at the bottom of the Toyota.com web site. Contact info would also be in your warranty booklet.

13. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    4 quarts brings the fluid level up to the fill hole level. If they jammed more than that into the trans, it probably came out of a vent hole and sprayed all over the place.

14. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what I'm wondering if there is some type of pressure relief valve or some other type of vent hoe that could spew the excess fluid. If that is the case then I could potentially see the overfill transmission spewing hot fluid all over the top and this potentially causing the inverter to be hot.

If that is the case then I am not nearly so worried about it. The hybrid system overheat message is what scares me the most because I don't understand how that could cause this unless maybe the fluid is part of the cooling system separate from the actual inverter coolant and then having too much in there somehow hurt it's ability to cool. The smoke and the hybrid system overheat message occurred at the exact same time

No error code appeared though I did see the red triangle, not even a pending error.

This just proves it to me once more and for the final time I cannot trust anybody else to ever do anything for me ever. End of story it is my curse

15. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    GEN II TAKES 3.8 quarts ON A DRAIN AND FILL>They were not doing it GEN II style

Something is screwy.

#15 Stevewoods, Feb 17, 2017
    Merkey and thatoneraccoon like this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Filling the transaxle through the fill hole, with the car level, it's impossible to get more than about 3.3 liters (or 3.5 qts) in. The technique is to add fluid till it starts coming back out.

How much did they charge you for this transaxle fluid change, btw.

When they hand the car back to you, I would just drive, listen carefully, watch state of charge indicator, watch for anything unusual. You need to get something on paper from them, something along the lines of: "customer observed smoke, and sprayed fluid all over engine bay". It may run ok, but have problems down the road due to this.

Seems like they screwed up, royally, and are running for cover...

#16 Mendel Leisk, Feb 17, 2017
    Neohippy and Merkey like this.
  17. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    While your experience is not typical, this is EXACTLY the reason that I flinch every time someone jumps of a forum like this and claims that you are neglecting your car if you don't do THIS AND THIS AND THAT way sooner than the recommendation calls for.
    Every time you screw with something, there is always a chance that it will get SCREWED UP.

Since your warranty is still in effect, I don't think you have a lot to worry about......at this point.
    At least LOOK to be sure that they attempted to clean the oil off of stuff under the hood.......so it won't start smoking when the engine heats up good the first time.

Oh, and I would be GREATLY tempted to find that guy who said "what we did could not possibly cause that" and offer to shove a quart of ATF up his nose. :mad:

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  18. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, despite some strange communications, I actually think the dealer is doing about as much as can be expected in this case.

Humans screw up. My independent mechanic, who is one of the most highly respected in the area has screwed up a couple of times -- Once he incorrectly installed the bumper cover (fixed it myself), another time he forgot to screw down the air filter cover -- again fixed it myself.

It happens. I screw up stuff now and again. :whistle:

I mean they could be still flatly denying any responsibility at all.

19. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are you certain that the fluid that sprayed everywhere is transaxle fluid and not engine oil? As mentioned previously, it's nearly impossible to overfill the transaxle, but it's easy to overfill the engine oil.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm like you, i never really trusted people working on my car that much. I always heard story's like this. In November I had my oil changed at a reputable shop here in Nashville. On my way home I got on to the expressway and my car stated freaking out, throwing codes and and illuminated the oil light. I pulled over the first second I saw the lights.

They didn't put the oil filter on properly, and my engine pumped all the oil out as I drove. I was very upset to say the least! I told them that I always monitor my engine for oil consumption WEEKLY, and that if I noticed anything different that they were completely responsible. They agreed, and also gave me a rental car so they could wash the whole underside of the vehicle to get the oil off. They also washed the whole car, even cleaned the interior top to bottom. I was happy, and my engine was fine. I still check the oil at least once a week. She's a tough bird!