1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealership transaxle fluid change nightmare

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by liquidtenmillion, Feb 17, 2017.

1. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah that must have looked like a volcano on wheels. Did you by chance notice the inverter coolant level before it was brought back to the dealer? Trying to superglue the pieces together.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Something got damaged as you saw smoke and you to know what burning electronics smell like so I think it was the Inverter.

For anyone reading this and having bad things happen to there car post service you must get the codes the car threw.
    It will tell you exactly what went wrong.

Without the codes (and the car threw a bunch) its just a guessing game where the smoke came from.
    If the codes reported overheated Inverter then there replacing my Inverter. If it reported overheated trans I'm getting a new trans.
    I would not have left the dealer until the codes were pulled and I would have watched them pull them in case this ends in court. Courts want paperwork not supposition. I guarantee you they pulled the codes first thing. They didn't list them like they should because its probably damning.

Having replaced the trans fluid in my g2 three times since I bought it new you really can't overfill the trans much by casual bottle fill as it just runs out of the fill hole UNLESS the fluid was installed by a pneumatic pump from a vat and they guy had the pump in the fill hole nice and tight sealing it off and just dumped a shit load of fluid in it till it sprayed out of the fill hole and then quickly put the fill bolt in.
    Btw, the trans on a G2 will take 4 quarts of fluid till it starts dripping out.

Or they severely under filled it and the trans overheated and the fluid boiled out.

I would sneakily inquire if there using trans fluid from a vat hence the pump........start asking questions at the parts counter first real cool like your a dope because if you start asking at the service desk they will clam up to protect themselves.

But bottom line if your sure it was the Inverter that was smoking demand a new Inverter because if it got so hot it was smoking it greatly shortened its life. Car does not run well like it used too. Replace it. They will not do anything till you demand.

Man, I would have thrown a hissy.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  3. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The inverter coolant level was normal. It was right at the low mark when first shut down, and then it slowly filled back up, to the H. There were no error codes thrown at any point in time, I immediately tried to read them myself, and the dealer verified.

I threw a fit. I have bad luck, it is my curse in life. I am a danger to my family and to society as a whole.

bisco likes this.
  4. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Smoking tranny fluid has some similarities to smelling burned plastic.

5. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There definitely was smoking ATF also, there were two distinct burnt smells.

6. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It doesn't seem like your inverter overheated to me - it would've boiled over i think and the coolant reservoir evacuated. The electric motors could've handled 280F easily for that brief moment because I'm assuming they're all metal IMHO. So I'm hoping nothing was damaged in your car.

Pictures might tell a different story.

Definitely be pissed at the dealer for doing a half a$$ job.

7. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope nothing is damaged in my car also, and I believe there is a good chance it will be fine.

But I keep asking myself in my head, "Do I want to pay for this car for 5 more years? Will it last me the 250k I want now?" The answer is now, if I am paying for a car for 5 more years then in my mind it has to be perfect. I have only had this car for 1 year.

I am heading to the dealership right now with my paperwork to the sales department, wish me luck! I will let you know what happens.

8. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You tell that dealership to fix your car right now or else you'll hire an attorney. They obviously did something wrong.

9. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If I can't watch them, I don't trust them.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hidden cams everywhere.

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Or the tech could have used Toyota ATF and somehow it screwed up something. But in that short timeframe, I can't imagine anything overheating....unless there was no fluid in there

12. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm a DIY guy. Sorry about your issues. Half of these places just hire anyone with experience or no experience, non certified or not. Esp oil change shops with these inexperienced young kids they seem to hire these days.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Emans right. When I bought my 07 new I had the first oil change done at the dealer.
    Instead of sitting in the waiting room I walked around the building and found my car in one of the bays up on a rack.
    Wanted to look under the car to see how bad it was to DYI. Started to talk to the guy doing the change. He didn't speak a bit of English. Didn't seem to know his way around under there and had a vat oil pump in his hand. Filth vats.. Checked it carefully later at home and it was overfilled a lot. Dumped it out and put in M1.
    They never saw my car again.

Rebound and Merkey like this.
  14. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So I am now the owner of a 2017 Prius 3 touring. Still not happy at all and not with my trade in value which I think they secretly factored how bad this looks on the vehicle history. I got 14k. I did get an ok but not fantastic deal on the car. They did not detail it since it was raining and will do that Monday. There is a scratch behind the instrument panel glass that I did not notice in time, they say they can fix it....

I won't let them attempt if it involves taking the dash apart. He also tried to sell me a 3rd party warranty, and when I straight asked him if it was an official Toyota extended warranty he lied to my face and said yes.

I think I will still tell corporate all of this experience. I wonder what they can do now that I bought a new vehicle. I am genuinely afraid this dealership will retaliate against me some way during the detailing Monday... Maybe they will see this post?

Anyway they offered me an extended 35k Toyota care that includes everything the standard 25k Toyota care does, the one caveat being that to get the 30 and 35k service I have to get 5-25 at there dealership. No smart way!!!

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey the Toyota dealer got rewarded. At least you have yourself a worry free new car now

16. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I certainly don't intend for this to end here and will escalate with Toyota corporate... after the Monday detailing I suppose.

I didn't not foresee myself getting satisfaction with that car and even if those monkeys did replace the inverter and PSD they probably would have fucked it up and I'd be broken down again some time later with something else damaged...

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Corporate can't help you on a car you don't own anymore.

You would need to contact them before you traded in

#77 JC91006, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  18. cipsaz187

cipsaz187 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You shouldn't have had requested the transaxle fluid change at 30k miles. It's not required, and not necessary. And most likely they weren't aware how to do it correctly.

When you start messing with the things dealer's aren't knowledgeable about, you're better off learning how to perform it yourself or just leave it alone.

19. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Are you the mechanic that filled his transmission?

20. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

LOL that is exactly what I was thinking because I have heard that explanation about 1 trillion too many times the past two days. No matter how many times I say that there are tens of thousands of people on this website to have gotten it done at the dealership. I researched it like crazy and the consensus here is that it is so easy to do that even a monkey could not mess it up and that is why I had it done.

I get that the dealership obviously did not know how to do it, but they never gave me that impression. I asked them to change the transaxle fluid they said it was not recommended but that they could do it I even specifically asked them if they knew how to do it on the Prius and they said yes. After talking to a few mechanics and doing some research and it appears that they attempted to do the same process they do on the Toyota Tacoma…

Like I said earlier, I know how to do it is brain-dead simple and I would have done it myself had I not recently injured my shoulder and back.

PS I do not like this 2017 as much. The USB port for the audio is outside the console so I can't leave an iPod plugged into a 24/7 because someone would steal it. Also there is only one glove box and there does not seem to be a way to view my contacts addresses from my phone like I could do you on my GEN3. How will I "navigate to Carl's house" on the GEN4? And the reason I wanted the 2015 is because I am still wary about the longevity of lithium ion batteries and I am especially wary of my repair options when the battery dies because nimh lasts longer and individual pairs can be replaced.

The handling is MUCH nicer and less "floaty/squishy" cornering. That's the only good thing I noticed so far, oh yeah the touch screen loads faster too.

Man I wish I had a time machine.

#80 liquidtenmillion, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    jdcollins5 and Mendel Leisk like this.