1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dear Toyota we the consumer would like Apple car play / Android

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by Toyotaisme, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, maybe it's just the way I phrase things, but it only does what I ask about 10% of the time. I gave up on it.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius Prime in the US now has casual voice recognition for a more natural speech recognition. In addition, if you have an iPhone/iPod Touch, you can use SIRI Eyes Free. You hold down the ON Hook button and wait for the beep. (So it's separate from the VOICE button)

3. BlacksmithTB

BlacksmithTB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That's possible, but unlikely. Both Apple and Google are software companies (primarily), while Toyota is clearly not; I don't know if they develop Entune in-house or contract it out (or some combination), but its generally poor interface and functionality don't inspire too much confidence about its security.

As to the larger conversation, the debate about the stock head unit vs. Android Auto and Apple Carplay is very similar to the headaches caused by 'Smart' TVs - most of which are riddled with security vulnerabilities, and age badly as the services they once connected to change or disappear. Our Primes have a nice big display and stereo, personally I'd much rather have the brain be my phone, which can be upgraded without needing to tear apart the dash...

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    57-2 says it all i think. time to call in prius team?

Prius from Dad likes this.
  5. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    Ah thanks. Re Siri and Google I must try that on my Euro car. It is supposed to work here too. Maybe I mis read the manual.

Is the Prime's voice recognition def different to the Euro car? Where is that documented? Thanks.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No idea but given that your head units are different, there's a good chance that the voice recognition system is different.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  7. Marc Schachtel

Marc Schachtel New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  8. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    They should make a standalone car play or android device that either connects via bluetooth or USB cable to our existing systems -- I know I will never tear anything out tack something in front of what i already have just to get car play, but I certainly wouldn't mind adding functionality.

HPrimeAdvanced and davidtm like this.
  9. Ivyhill

Ivyhill New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Why not start an online petition? Maybe it’ll get their attention. I’ll wait for someone to do it and post the link/

10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I do not know any Japanise, to reach the people who can make a change, they have to be able to read it.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A retrofit for 2018 Camry/Sienna will cost CAD$60.

12. dcantat

dcantat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Do you mean you can have the stereo for one of those cars retro fitted to a prime?

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Entune 3.0 and 2.0 are not interchangeable as far as I know. Entune 3.0 units have a DCM that 2.0 u it’s don't have and I don’t know if 3.0 units can work without the DCM.

14. draker

draker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My feeling is that this issue surrounding entune is breach of contract by Toyota. When I purchased my 2017 Prime Advanced, part of the selling point were the many services and functionality of the infotainment system. These were specifically highlighted by the salesman. In fact, he even suggested that there was always the possibility of additional services being added. This was not a promise, but more of possible future. Now in reality, the opposite has occurred. They have not improved the system, rather they have reduced the available services. Whether you found them useful or not seems irrelevant to me. We were sold a package and a possibility of even more. That Toyota feels free to systematically take services away and not replace them with something similar or different to me seems like I (we) was sold a lie. How is this any different than Toyota selling a car, emphasizing two years of free service, then deciding to reduce it to one year? I’m sure there is some statement in small print somewhere saying that these apps may be reduced, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that we were sold one thing and have received something less. If they had any integrity, they would replace the system with an upgrade that better matches their promise upon sale.

Curlyone and Bob Comer like this.
  15. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree draker, the reduction of one service after another with nothing new to replace them has left a VERY bad taste in my mouth. It sure seems like it should be covered by an implied warranty to me. (fair value for money spent)

Right now it would be very hard for me to buy another Toyota based on that, even with their promise of apple car play.

draker likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    integrity? toyota? :p

17. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    In my opinion, these "services" were worthless in the first place. I don't use them and don't care if Toyota removes them. The whole Entune app is junk. I can do all that and more, and more easily, on my phone.

18. draker

draker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I also tend to agree that the system IS junk. But the question is why? There is great potential in the 11 inch screen that is the center of focus in the PP. So why settle with low level entertainment that can easily be overwhelmed by a phone? At the very least, we as consumers, should be able to harness the screen size and use Car play or the such.

19. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It wasn't offered as a feature on pre-2020 models and there was never any promise that it would be backfitted. So, if you buy a car without the feature, you expect to live with the car without the feature.

20. Seamaster

Seamaster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I wonder if we may have more luck in the UK/Europe, where we have a different Toyota system installed? They've teased the possibility of a future upgrade on the new Corolla which runs the same software.