1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Death of an American City

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by heliotropehead, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Unfortunately, most people can't think beyond 5 seconds due to widespread ADHD (or whatever the f the acronym is), and think everything should be done overnight.

Just like Iraq, not even 3 years and whining moore-worshipping faux intelligencia are screaming "failure!" and to "withdraw"....

Hmmm, any Bush-haters care to find any GWB quote in which he promises a "quick" victory?

:lol:

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There was that famous "Mission Accomplished" speach....

And listen, most intelligent thinking people, anit-Bush or not, know that a pull out at this point would be catastrophic. Yes there are a few vocal idiots out there screaming for a pull out, but not the majority of us.

But that doesn't mean I'm going to stop voicing the opinion that going in in the first place was wrong...and I said so before we went in the imaginary WMD threat not withstanding.

3. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have no objections to helping the citizens of NO get back on their feet. The country should step up and do something to help the citizens of NO. That's why we live in the United States not the independent city states of ancient Greece. That being said, rebuilding a major city in an area that makes absolutely no sense is not doing anyone justice. It's an irresponsible waste of resources.

4. Mystery Squid

Oh? And this, somehow, was taken as some sort of promise all would be well in a rather quick manner?

As I recall, from DAY ONE, Bush has advised Americans this was NOT going to be quick, and it would likely be a lengthy campaign. Of course, your contingency seems to selectively "forget" that little part.

See, this is where your contingency falls apart. What do YOU think "Mission Accomplished" means? The mission to take Iraq WAS accomplished. Yes, you have plenty of skirmishes taking place, but is there a single significant area in Iraq where there is a large scale, organized "Army" that would prevent us from acquiring that territory? Nope.

In addition, NO ONE even implied you should stop voicing your opinion.

And as a final note, there really is no need for you to respond, as neither one of us will see the opposing viewpoint on this, regardless of the "evidence" presented...

...yeah, I know, how very right-wing of me....!

:lol:

5. Mystery Squid

Well, on that logic, then we should start evacuating southern California. At least NO, as I understand it, structures can be built to save it from being flooded again. Not much you can do against the big quake that WILL eventually hit So. Cal....

6. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to agree with you. The French Quarter wasn't destroyed ... and that's what we're all thinking of when we say "rebuild New Orleans".

Or, are we really thinking about all those housing tracts, that look just like housing tracts everywhere else in the country ... places like Metarie? Or are we talking about run-down, roach infested housing that the poor were forced to live in?

The middle class is already displaced, and building elsewhere with their insurance reimbursement makes more sense than rebuilding where they are in danger.

The poor are already displaced. Should we really rebuild homes for them where we know they will eventually be drowned? What kind of madness is that? Oh, right, the mayor wants a "chocolate city". Even if we are dooming them to more tragedy in the future. At least HIS political base will be preserved.

7. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

Another tragedy of bad media reporting, combined with a bad choice of words on the part of the mayor.

It was made quite clear in the very same speech that by "chocolate" he was referring to the mixture of black & white in the city, not just black people.

If the mayor had decent advisers, they would have warned him that this soundbite would have been misinterpreted instantly, so I think he is partly to blame. But nonetheless, what he meant by it was not racist or ant-white.

- Bob R.