1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Death Rattle and when erg blocked car almost dies.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Brandon2333, Apr 15, 2023.

1. Brandon2333

Brandon2333 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    2010 prius with about 210k miles: new EGR valve, cooler cleaned(behind EGR), cleaned intake manifold new pcv valve.

Current problem: Death rattle on start up and i think while driving.. don't want to test it driving until i know more.
    If I rev the car in neutral after the death rattle on start up it runs fine in neutral.
    I tried blocking the egr valve as seen in this video around the 4:50 mark.
    when i do it, the car still has the death rattle than almost dies, if i try to rev it more it dies more as if its starved for air.

notes:
    coolant level the same
    Death rattle on start up- every start up, doesn't have to sit.

Any ideas?
    Thanks!

Back story:
    Had an occasional death rattle on start up that would last for a few seconds than It'd go away.
    over the past couple weeks the death rattle had gotten stronger in the morning... the other day it had an occasional knock similar to the death rattle at 40 mph. so immediately drove it home about a mile.
    I was thinking spark plug or coil but they've both been semi recently replaced..
    Replaced the EGR valve,cleaned the cooler, intake manifold, and replaced the pcv valve.
    afterwards started the car there was a slight death rattle, took it out to drive it. everything was going fine about a half mile than it was as if it stopped firing on cylinder (idk if it was or wasn't but that's what the engine sounded like) drove 5mph back to my place got it parked in the drive way.

#1 Brandon2333, Apr 15, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
  2. Brandon2333

Brandon2333 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    solved it. or at least so far.

I recleaned the intake manifold. the first time i forgot to clean the egr ports in the manifold as seen in this video around the 9:50 mark.

Thanks for all the other help i see on these forums!

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You really need to check your plugs and engine very well You want to check your plugs especially one and two for any coolant droplets If you see droplets that look like water even little tiny ones on the end of the plug It's probably cooling touch it with your finger touch it to your tongue you know what coolant tastes like probably not well that's it. Now you do anyway very few of these cars get away with the death rattle a few times without something major afterwards so maybe don't travel too far don't do anything too silly until you find out You certainly don't want to be 500 mi from home and find out

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Keep us updated

5. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Spark plugs are very commonly counterfeit in case you are unaware. The counterfeits are worse than the worst copper plugs you could get. If by "semi-recently" you mean like 15-30k miles and you bought them from eBay (or similar) then that's probably it. I don't think aftermarket coils have the best reputation either.

Edit: LOL, skimmed over the "solved it" post. Still important info for lurkers.

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Those ports are probably the most important part of the cleaning process because they don't clog evenly, which I'm convinced stresses the head gasket. Not that the cooler isn't important, too. But they don't directly make the so-called death rattle. That's the head gasket. Or bad plugs or coils.

As mentioned, you could have issues with counterfeit or off brand plugs/coils. And, if the head gasket has a small leak, it might take a while for the coolant loss to become apparent.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Say you had a boat with some fancy electronics. Boat springs a leak; and water shorts out the electronics. Then you fix the leak: does that fix the electronics?

The EGR cleaning was at least 100k overdue.

The “death rattle”, more succinctly, is (uncompressible) coolant leaking past head gasket into cylinder, making it increasingly difficult for piston to get over Top Dead Centre.

try boroscope inspection and/or leak-down test.

any codes?

mypriuscious and Grit like this.
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A Prius makes such a rattle when it is misfiring for any reason.

The "death rattle" is what Mendel says it is if a borescope, leakdown, or other specific test shows it to be what Mendel says it is.

(Even then, the repeating rattle sound that you hear is caused by the misfiring engine, perhaps because of small amounts of leaked coolant, interacting with mechanical lash in the transmission. Once enough coolant leaks in there to actually stop the piston crossing TDC, if you hear that sound, you're not going to hear it many times.)

#8 ChapmanF, Apr 16, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
    jerrymildred and CR94 like this.
  9. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The EGR system doesn't cause a misfire "death rattle" (I wish we'd stop using that non descriptive term) at idle, although if the EGR valve is leaking, maybe it would.

GregC1979 likes this.
  10. stevecaldwell

stevecaldwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Do you have a link to How to clean the EGR valve and cooler on a 2012 Type 3 Prius?

11. stevecaldwell

stevecaldwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

12. stevecaldwell

stevecaldwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

So, do you have instructions or video on cleaning the EGR valve and cooler on at 2012 type 3 Prius

13. Brandon2333

Brandon2333 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Death rattle on start up came back on my 2010 prius with about 215k on it.

So far I've:
    Replaced the EGR valve
    cleaned out the egr cooler (power washed)
    replaced the spark plugs
    replaced the spark plug coils
    cleaned out the intake cooler. (power washed)

I don't think I've got a head gasket leak my coolant level is the same and my spark plugs were all dirty.

is the next step to replace the fuel injectors?

Thanks!

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why would bad fuel injectors foul up your new spark plugs?

15. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe the next step is to replace the leaking head gasket. :whistle:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It would be best to continue in your previous thread; starting a new one just breaks up the narrative.

Giving the symptoms a mysterious name (death rattle) doesn’t help. With your miles, symptoms and long neglected EGR, head gasket failure is most likely scenario.

Again, I’d try leak down test and/or boroscope inspection.

#16 Mendel Leisk, May 22, 2023
    Last edited: May 22, 2023
  17. Brandon2333

Brandon2333 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My apologies on starting a new thread. Going forward I'll keep everything together.
    Looks like I may be doing a head gasket. This will be my first major automotive repair so I may have a few questions. any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Mendel Thank you for the quick links in your signature :D

stevecaldwell Regarding cleaning the EGR mine was extremely clogged after 200k so I replaced it. I attempted to clean the cooler with compressed air and break cleaner. it wasn't clearing it out... at all... so i had to pull the whole thing out and power wash it.

for pulling the egr out i used this video at the 15 min mark

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oven cleaner dissolves the carbon, a pressure washer blows it out.
    You did keep the cooler? They don't wear out, stainless steel...

19. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A death rattle is produced when a person is near death and is too weak or hypersomnolent to clear or swallow pharyngeal secretions.
    I've heard them and "death rattle" is a VERY descriptive term, most especially if the resultant shaking is caused by a....clogged intake.
    A near-hydrolocked G3 produces a more violent 'shaking and quaking' but the end result is the same.
    Either you get an automotive angioplasty, a heart transplant, or you hear the final 'death rattle.'

They call it that for a reason.....

20. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The coolant will start disappearing within two to ten weeks of initial death rattle. Too many jump on the egr and expensive parts cannon to no avail. When it initially goes away for days at a time only to briefly return on a cold start it essentially rules out plugs, coils, injectors or egrs. The leak seals itself off initially. History repeats itself but some have to learn the hard way.

#20 rjparker, May 24, 2023
    Last edited: May 24, 2023
    Ryan Will and Mendel Leisk like this.