1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Death Rattle- Confirmed Head Gasket

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jflutterbield, Apr 3, 2023.

1. Jflutterbield

Jflutterbield New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I bought a used 2012 Prius V ~3 years ago at 135k mileage. Had the death rattle once last year in the winter and it freaked me out but didn't happen again until a couple weeks ago. Now, it happens on every start and I noticed that coolant reservoir was low (but didn't have a benchmark). Took it in to Toyota and sure enough they used a borescope and could see the coolant drip in cylinder 1. Estimate they gave me was $4,300. Reputable non-Toyota shop came in slightly lower at $3,800 (parts 440, machine shop 460, labor 2600). I doubt I can justify spending half what the car's worth especially when at this mileage I'm sure there are other $$$ repairs coming up. I haven't done much work on cars personally and while interested in doing it myself, I don't have a garage and with 2 young kids and a crazy job, I imagine it would take me forever. 2 options I see are to take my chances with head gasket sealer (which I know is borrowed time) or get rid of it for cheap, but curious if anyone else sees a different alternative?

#1 Jflutterbield, Apr 3, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
  2. Perkolator

Perkolator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    See if you can find a mobile HG service in your area.
    I just did this last Friday on my Prius. Toyota wanted $4200 for HG, the mobile service was half of that including a $400 mobile service fee. I have no garage and a gravel driveway - it was no problem for them, said they've done it in parking lots before. Took them only like 4hrs start to finish, but he said it took a little longer because of a broken head bolt that was stubborn.
    Now that I know services like this exist (and mobile battery swaps), I guess I'll just fix whatever breaks on my Prius

Jflutterbield likes this.
  3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you chose to sell it as is the value loss may be well over $5k.

A head gasket job alone is a half way measure on 2010-2014 models with their low tension piston rings because of potential oil consumption and an increased chance for another blown head gasket.

On top of that, running the car for a longer period with occasion rattles may have increased the chance of a bent piston rod. We have seen a few hg jobs go south when a rod subsequently breaks.

So a better alternative is a professionally rebuilt engine that includes new rings, serious decarbonization throughout and subsequent 5k mile oil changes. Many have installed a rebuilt engine shipped from Hybridpit for about the dealer's hg job price. At that point the drivetrain is set for another 150k-200k miles.

The calculus is made more difficult when you consider a brake booster or hybrid battery is possible (likely?) before 200k miles.

A lot depends on your financial position and the condition of the car independent of the engine. A v wagon with a good engine can be an excellent daily driver.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you do the head gasket replacement, clean the EGR components (including intake manifold EGR passages) immediately thereafter. See top two links in my signature. If you're on a phone, turn it landscape to see signatures.

(Maybe I should make a boilerplate text of the above...)

gggGary likes this.
  5. Jflutterbield

Jflutterbield New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the idea. Had no idea these even existed. So I'm guessing you didn't take it to a machine shop or anything?

6. Jflutterbield

Jflutterbield New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Love the V wagon. It's been a great car with lots of space for the kiddos and their voluminous stuff and it's been reliable up until now. If I'm gna drive till it dies, this definitely seems like the best route as I definitely don't want to risk potentially more head gasket issues. Have to mull it over.

7. Perkolator

Perkolator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, I had no idea that sort of thing existed either - but pretty cool that it does! Didn't take it anywhere, they did it in my gravel driveway 2hrs away from their shop. No machine work needed in my case. If it did need machine work or had a bent rod or something like that, the guy said they're prepared to go as far as swapping out the whole engine with a rebuilt one
    Good luck!