1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Debating about Prius Persona

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Sfcyclist, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hello Prius Chat,

New to this forum and I've been shopping a Prius or new car for that matter.

The last 3 cars I've owned have been BMW's so jumping back to Toyota wasn't an easy decision. Actually, it still isn't but tired thus the post. My last car was a '02 BMW 325i wagon and was very practical, sporty and luxurious. With that as a reference, it's a hard act to follow.

My list of "needs" and "wants";

Needs(in order of importance);

1. Able to haul 1 road bike inside the car with only one side of the seat folded down. In my 325i wagon, I was able to this with the front wheel off and leaning at an angle. The reason for the one side is for my child seat.
    2. Good on gas. That's to today's standard is over 30 mpg city or hwy. Also, since my commute is short, it is in city street. Plan to take this on weekend road trips.
    3. Reliable.
    4. Aesthetically pleasing(color too).
    5. Decent handling.

Want's.
    1. Nice interior
    2. Technologically advance
    3. Better than average sounds system.
    4. Easy to use navi
    5. Decent passing and cruising power(I know, that's relative)

With that, the cars considered are;

BMW 335d
    BMW 328i Wagon
    Jetta Wagon TDI
    Toyota Prius with Plus, Persona, and Trim Level 5.
    Lexus IS250

Looking at my list, the only car that meets most are;

Prius Persona.

Budget, around $30k total. Also worth mentioning is my commute is fairly short so a used car is ok.

I've only test driven the 328i wagon and Prius in the group. The others I didn't bother to because it simply doesn't meet my hard requirements. I would love to have the 335d but the sedan configuration kills kit. It only BMW would offer a wagon in North America.

So what I am debating now is can am I ok with the power, or lack of, and lack of luxury(ref. BMW). I'm even considering renting one just to make sure. I've test drive it and seems ok but it's hard to finalize a decision in 10 minutes. In term of sound insulation and chassis rigidity, there's no comparison. What I was surprised to find was the torque of the line, and nimbleness due to weight.

I saw this last night and thought it was interesting.. Prius Trim IV with Plus package and Premium Solar. $36k!

With all that said, anyone come from a BMW and found the Prius unbearable?

Attached Files:

2. rekniht01

rekniht01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You'll have a hard time getting a full size road bike in the back of a Prius with just one side of the rear seat down. It might be done, but it would be tight and take some time.

3. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    In my BMW wagon, "I was able to this with the front wheel off and leaning at an angle." I wouldn't bother with wheel on! LOL!

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/debating-about-prius-persona.123150/#ixzz2MycwcSTA

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The good news is it seems you know exactly what you want.

I think your idea to rent one, excellent.

I guess my only concern is that you seem to be highlighting a lot of "wants" or standards that aren't exactly Prius benchmarks. By that I mean, IMO the best reason to buy a Hybrid, is because you want a Hybrid. In other words, you want the MPG and the efficiency a Hybrid vehicle offers.

Tell me you want to buy a Prius, because you've decided you want a Hybrid, and all the advantages a Hybrid vehicle provides and I'll say "Go Get One".

But tell me you are considering a Prius, but worried about comparative attributes that probably can be matched or surpassed by a wide variety of regular ICE vehicles? Then I start to worry about the choice. Especially when you admit you have a short commute. Which somewhat negates the advantage of HSD.

I'd say...yeah...rent one for a week. Maybe a week and 1/2. You should be able to know by then whether it will meet the standards you wish, with all the advantages of HSD and in all the other automotive areas.

Chris S and xs650 like this.
  5. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thanks for the feedback.

Ops, sorry, I added to the "Decent on gas" requirement. City mpg's wise, there are few cars that can do what the prius does with the room it has.

6. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Fixed that for you.

WE0H likes this.
  7. outhouse

outhouse Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    The TDI is the only car close, but its a VW and doesnt have the reliability and youll now have oily hands

Sold VW for 5 years and know the product well. # years in Toyota and just bought the persona and love it. No way would I trade for a problamatic VW. Bought a bug for the wife, been there done that.

personas can be had 25999 all day long, and handle great and have a ok nav system with a above average sound system.

WE0H likes this.
  8. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I want all the advantages of a hybrid but don't know if I am ready for the reduction in power. Funny thing about HP/torque is you get used to it. But then again, the amount of HP in my past BMWs only made a substantial difference at 85+mph.

Does a Prius cruise easily at 85mph on rolling hills?

9. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Audi's didn't even make the list because of same reason, reliability. I guess VWs are the same(Corp.).

10. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It depends on your tolerance for the difference in the soundtrack. You will probably notice the pitch of the engine varying a lot with the terrain. This gives the same impression you get from a car with a sloppy torque converter but in the case of the Prius it's nowhere near as wasteful. Still, it won't sound relaxed.

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rent one for a weekend and put some stick time in it.

The Prius meets all of your needs except interior appointments. It's pretty reliable....actually VERY reliable compared to the Vee Dubbaya brand and I think that you can stuff a road bike into a Prius once you yank the front wheel off. No...not the Prius, the bike.
    That's what the weekend test drive will either prove or disprove.

Handing? .....uh.....what's that mean exactly? Compared to das Bavarian Motor Werks???
    No.
    The Prius has electric steering, a one speed transmission, small skinny hard tires, and it turns like a toad.
    However (comma!) It's a low slung 5-door car, so you're going to be able to pretty much go where a 325i can go. It's just going to take a little longer and not be nearly as much fun.
    This is why "handling" is a want and not a need.

All this boils down to what goes on between YOUR earlobes.
    Rent one.
    Drive it.

I'm a work-a-day unionized blue collar kinda guy, so iif somebody put me in the upper 5% I can't really say that I would be driving a Prius. (hee....hee! ;) ) But if I had to chose between BMW and a Prius for MY driving NEEDS?
    I'd pick a Prius every day of the week and twice on Sunday! :)

Good Luck!

12. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I take that as it can but not easily?

13. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    The Persona model has 17" wheels so I am sure that helped.

I didn't go canyon carving but it agile and stable.

14. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It does what it needs to, to do the job. Unlike a car with a lockup torque converter or manual transmission you won't find the engine speed varying directly with the vehicle speed.
    In the long run all of your energy is coming from an 1800 cc engine. Zero sum game.

15. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

^ That will help.
    If you go with the PP you can also get some kid to opine on things like springs and braces.With some $$ and some noodle work, you can probably get a G3 to "handle" fairly well...however (comma!!) you're going to have to give to get.
    Sticky 17" tires are going to cost you gas.
    Boy racer parts will probably cost you ride quality.
    Aftermarket seats are going to cost you $$$.

After you're done making a Prius handle like a Beamer, it's going to cost almost as much as a Beamer...and it's still going to accelerate like a Prius! (Without Prius fuel economy....)

Like I said before...this is an emotional thing. :)

Good Luck!!!

16. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    My point was the Persona isn't as bad as you noted, "turns like a toad". It's far from that unless that's how it is with the smaller wheel models(II, III, IV)?

17. outhouse

outhouse Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I went canyon carving the first night I had mine.

My Ducati 848 does much better, but I was really suprised how well this little prius did.

Going down was a blast, I thought it would such going up. It did much better then I though.

Its a nice car.

18. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Lexus CT-200H?

19. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    There's no way my bike will fit in there without both seats down. Even with both down, it looks tight.

20. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Probably less vertical cargo space for his bike.