1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Debating about Prius Persona

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Sfcyclist, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Great feedback.. I guess it's simply, I'm concerned about power and luxury withdrawal...

2. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
  3. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Blizzard Pearl looks incredible in any lighting. I think it will also hide chips and scuffs well. I had a white RX-7 years ago and it hid imperfections very well. Prius in Gray is darn nice looking too but I had my heart set on Blizzard Pearl from the get go and stuck to my decision at order time. I never got to drive a Blizzard Pearl as a rental and only seen a couple in real life. Most of them I seen in pictures :) I am so damn happy to have this color; very pretty. Classy looking [​IMG]

Mike

OceanEyes likes this.
  4. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The multi day test drive will give you an excellent seat of the pants experience to determine if Prius has enough juice for your driving style. I can honestly say from experience that Prius drive excellent even on Mr Donuts at triple digit speeds in Michigan :) I have never had an issue with merging into traffic on city roads or Interstates in many different states. Mountain driving is a piece of cake. The car goes when you need it to. It is no race car but it is no turd when you plant that right foot down and keep it there. Driving like you stole it will still get you 43 mpg. I've run rentals 80+ mph down the Interstates multiple times and never once dipped below 40 mpg running for the whole tank. Try that in a SUV and you are gonna get raped at the pump :(

Mike [​IMG]

OceanEyes likes this.
  5. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Good points Mike, you do have to know how to drive it.. I've driven many underpowered cars before(Sienna fully loaded in the mountains, 94 Honda Civic), but if you know how to maintain your speed, that does go a long way. Rental sounds like the way to get started, and lucky for me local dealer has 5's available for that.

6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What year Sienna were you driving? I have only driven the current generation both with the V6 and the 4 cylinder motors. The 6 cylinder moves, the 4 cylinder works but has to use that tranny to keep it in the powerband. I am renting a Sienna toward the end of this month for a trip out east.

Mike

7. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I did this in my E46 wagon and it worked great. I wedged the seat tube where the junctions the top tube. This does 2 things, holds it in place upright and locks it in place.

If anyone can try it in their Prius before I do in the showroom or rental, that would be great.

8. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Sienna is a 2004 limited so AWD. I would say it's a slug! Without looking at stats, I bet the Prius is faster in all scenarios! But paying attention to RPM and keeping momentum, I kept up in the fast lane through the Sierras without a problem.

9. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another thing is a Mr Donut Prius will beat a Prius with the 17's down the quarter mile ;) A Prius with 17's is still fine but could use a software tweak to turn up the wick a bit.

Mike

10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The old Sienna was a turd. The new on is just shy of 300hp and has a very well mannered 6 speed tranny. It also has a much tighter handling suspension than the old Sienna's. You should rent one of those too. You'd be impressed. Once my SUV gives it up, I am buying a Sienna to replace it.

Mike

11. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Right.. but the point was using the power you have.

12. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got onto a highway one day at a point where it was going up a long hill, on a ramp that also went up hill. I hadn't tackled this before and didn't know what would happen. I pressed the PWR button and hit it. I finished the ramp, looked at the speedo, and realized I was doing 91! Uphill the whole way in what seemed like no time. The car should do 85 on hills but you will lose mpg, but that doesn't seem like an issue to you if you want to roll 85 in the first place.

Good luck with your decision. Prius is a great car but you may find the cabin much noisier.

13. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Over the weekend, on my way back up Sharp Park Road(averages over 5% grade), I saw Prius and a CT booking up. They were pacing each other so I'm sure they were together. It's quite windy and I could barely keep up with them in my Lexus RX(well without scary my MIL). Not bad at all. I plan to rent the Prius Trim 5 this week.

14. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sfcyclist,
    Is there no place to put your bike at work? I store mine inside at work and most places will let you do that.

15. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  16. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Actually I can easily store it in my office. I just prefer to have the option.

Also, it's safer in the car than on the rack when I go out after a ride.

17. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I hear ya. I've been there b4 (and I once caught someone trying to steal my bike off the rack while parked).

18. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Unfortunately that kind of stuff happens.. and all that carbon is irresistable..

usnavystgc likes this.
  19. Jzerocsk

Jzerocsk Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    What about keeping the bike in the car at work folding the seats down as-needed (assuming you don't have to drop your child off at daycare/school on the way) and then using the hitch rack when you've got the family riding along? That would free you to consider a lot of different models that would otherwise not quite fit.

20. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    actually I do.. so the reason it's perfect to fit the bike on one side. looking forward to testing it out in rental.