1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Debating on new purchase - fire damaged

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JC91006, Dec 25, 2013.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello

I have a question and need some professional advice. There's a 2013 prius that I'm considering to purchase. I know this is not the gen3 forum but I believe there are more technical minded people on here so I'll give it a shot. It is selling for nearly 40% off the new retail price of a new car, it does have a salvage title and has only 10,000 miles.

The car got the salvage title by catching fire. Looking at the pictures the seller provided, only the back section was affected, by the fuel tank, left quarter panel. I'm not exactly sure all the parts that have and need to be replaced but none of the airbags were deployed and everything looks to be in good order.

At 40% discount, it's a killer deal for a car with only 10,000 miles. Would it be of great concern in purchasing a car that's caught fire? It's already been fixed and you really can't tell from the outside. My concern would basically be the electrical and the brake components on the left rear quarter panel that was damaged. The right rear section is still original, no damaged to the 12v battery section. The main hybrid battery seems also to be original as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Forget it! There's a reason why it's so cheap.

I'd only buy it, if you have already got a FAT wallet. If you don't you risk losing ALL of your investment.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it seems to me, only a prius expert repair person should get involved in something like this. it might be fine (1%) and it might be a nightmare (99%).

4. Skateruk

Skateruk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    JC - sound advice from the guys above. Unless you are a mechanic with some specialty with Prius, I would walk away.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is a Prius Five that has a 35,000 sticker price with the technology package. The seller is asking $21000 and it's already all fixed. For a 2013 with 10,000 miles, whatever fire damage is on the car should surely not be 14000 worth of damage? It really has fixed up nicely and you can't even tell by looking at it. I know he had to weld on another rear quarter panel so all those parts around there had to be replaced.

I've uploaded some pictures of it. The seller advertised it as a Prius IV and not knowing it's a Five with Technology Package. It really is a steal.

26765203_3X.jpg 26765203_4X.jpg

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The very fact you're asking for help shows you don't know what you're doing or looking for (no offense). As such you should walk away from that car.

Why do you think the insurance company didn't want to repair it! The car is going rusty already which unless repaired correctly, will start to rust through in the future.

If that car was going for $5,000 I'd give it a go, otherwise look elsewhere. (just my opinion of course).

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Yes I'm not familiar with the electrical and mechanical aspects on that cars. I don't really know what's in that area of the burned area. The rusted/burned parts you see is not there anymore, the entire quarter panel was replaced with a donor car quarter panel.

fixed.jpg fixed2.jpg fixed1.jpg fixed3.jpg

8. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    It looks as though the left rear suffered suspension damage too. You might also be concerned that the traction battery has suffered. This sure looks like a crap shoot unless you have it inspected by a Prius expert who can evaluate the repairs that have been made and the present condition of the car. I think you will find too that there would be no warranty from Toyota for this car.

For $21,000 you could probably do much better.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I'm sure all the burned out area has been replaced, I'm unsure if it's a simple replacement as the Prius has a regenerative brake system, not sure if that will have problems. Also all the technology on this car is in the front, not the rear. All that stuff, including all the air bags are all original and not damaged.

10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Who is the seller?

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

ok, I don't need others to consider this until I'm done considering it LOL

12. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No, what I mean is it the original owner, used car lot, etc.. Personally, I wouldn't touch a fire car with a ten foot pole.

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

It's a guy that owns a body shop, purchased it through auction and fixed it. That's the reason he doesn't know it's a Prius Five with the technology package. He just thinks it's a IV with navigation and leather. I checked online on the repairs done, it was serviced at toyota at 5000 miles and then the fire....no other history.

I know salvaged vehicles are hard to sell, it probably will be a vehicle I own until it dies. It's very hard to unload a salvaged vehicle, thus the discounted price.

14. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Check the body shop's history, BBB, etc., and see if he has a good record. If he'll back the repairs, you may have a decent deal.

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I actually don't know it's a fire car, it just looks like one with the pictures. It's right next to the gas tank filler.

16. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    What does the Carfax say, accident or fire?

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I didn't run the carfax, just looked at it. All the airbags are intact in the original pictures, so can't be an accident. I'm thinking either fire or chemical damage.......either case, the quarter panel was replaced. He says the hybrid battery is original, but there's really no way of telling.

18. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Things to consider;
    Are there ANY warranties or guarantees on the car at all? - and I'm referring to the original Toyota Prius Hybrid Warranty and the engine warranty for example (if I expressed those right).

What was fixed, and was it done by trained Toyota engineers / mechanics or by people not in the know?

Who has certified the car safe for use on the road?

If you get positive answers to all the above questions, AND the price is dropped another at least $3000 to $4000 dollars.....AND you have committed yourself to using the car till it croaks from old age........
    Only then might it be genuinely worth thinking about.....otherwise with all due respect.....walk away. Methinks. :(

iPad ? HD

19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

The highway patrol here has certified the car to be on the road again, but that doesn't say much as they are only required to have all headlights and brake lights functional. The body shop did the work, seriously doubt anyone trained by toyota did it. That's why I'm unsure if the components in the quarter panel is a vital part of the vehicle function. I can think of just brakes/suspension there. There probably won't be any warranty as the seller is not a car dealer.

I seriously doubt there is 3000-4000 wiggle room on this car....I'll be lucky to knock off another 2000

20. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't go by the airbags, they usually don't go off in a rear-end collision. If you're really set on it, see if a Toyota dealer or Prius savvy shop can inspect it before purchase.