1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Decaying tonneau cover (cargo security cover)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by alw, Dec 21, 2017.

1. alw

alw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My wife and I have a 2010 Prius with the OEM tonneau cover (“windowshade” cargo security cover) which is falling apart due to age and daily use. Never mind the dirt and gray stains; the real problem developing is that the vinyl cloth material is fraying at the edges and has separated, exposing the cardboard reinforcement stiffener at the rear edge.

We park on-street in a dense urban environment, and consider the security cover to be essential in discouraging thieves (we don’t leave valuables in the car overnight, but can’t avoid this occasionally while running errands).

We don’t want to use duct tape or some other adhesive tape, because of the well-known tendency of the adhesive to react with the vinyl plasticizers to produce a sticky, messy “goo”.

We have looked for a replacement for the flexible cover or the entire assembly, but haven’t found much other than occasional used ones of unknown quality and high prices. Any suggestions on how to make a durable repair, or to find a workable replacement?

2. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I found a decent one on eBay...I doubt you'll be able to repair it to your satisfaction.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just for reference, see a new one through an on-line retailer is $241 US, item 25 here:

Interior Trim - Rear Body for 2010 Toyota Prius | Toyota Parts

Not that bad actually, with the 4th gen IIRC, same retailer, the price jumps to five something?

(Hmm, see they'd ship to Blaine, WA for around $14 with USPS.)

#3 Mendel Leisk, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If your interested I'll sell you mine. I never use it anyway, it just stays rolled up. It's off a 2012. If your interested send me a private message.