1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Decent (LED) mods for OEM foglights?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Fendy, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Fendy

Fendy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey all,

I've been searching through most of the forums but really couldn't find what I was looking for.
    I have a '06 Prius with OEM fog lights and a mini D2S (6000K) headlight projector retrofit. Now both of the glass lenses of the fog lights have cracked and broken.
    Having them replaced at the dealership (here in the Netherlands) will take me above $300 and a non-OEM DIY set will cost me some $125.

Basically I am looking for a replacement set of fogs, with powerful LEDs and a plastic lens instead of glass. Only thing is I really would love for them to fit like the OEMs do, so I don't have to dremel/cut/alter too much of the front bumper.

Has anyone come across, or successfully installed any replacement fogs? I don't want to go the HID way on the fogs..

Thanks in advance!

2. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Curious as to why you don't want HID over LED? HID with the correct bulb temp currently for the least $$$ will produce the most lumens for the fog light setup.

Not LED but definitely cheaper from the stealership at $125 or $300, but eBay has a pair for $29 04 09 Toytoa Prius 03 05 Echo 04 06 Highlander 00 02 Mr s XA Clear Fog Lights | eBay Without the OEM cutoff shield.
    [​IMG]

Or single OEM setup for $37.80 Echo Highlander MR2 Prius XA Fog Light Driver Side New | eBay
    [​IMG]

However the beam pattern of the OEM fog light with standard bulbs, LED or HID - just plain are horrible. I'm going to try a Retrofit Fog Light with the Hella DE Micro - Doing something like this: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beam pattern will improve greatly over OEM - below is the comparison of the Blazer fog with a great cutoff line vs the Hella Micro De with way better foreground and the better for fog light coverage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Fendy

Fendy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for your reply, that definitely gives me some options to consider.

My main reason for not wanting (or needing for that matter) HID in the fogs is that I already have the Morimoto mini D2S headlight retrofit and although they are correctly aimed, they project loads of light in the same area the fog lights do. So if I now have my headlights on and also switch on the fogs, you can hardly see them, so they more or less became useless in a functional sense.

However, to pass the periodic check, if they are mounted, they need to be in one piece and function properly, and for cosmetic reasons I would like them to produce somewhat of the same light color as the 6000K HIDs.

Looking at the first ebay link you posted, by cutoff shield you mean the small cap that usually sits in front of the bulb, or is it more of a cover plate sort of thing.

This is the current light pattern of my headlights, without fogs on.

[​IMG]

4. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The OEM fog light has a metal shield that sits in front of the bulb. The cheaper eBay replacement doesn't have it for $29. But I've seen the beam pattern from both and its miniscule difference in glare.

Your completely correct about a retrofit eliminates the need for additional lighting. My H1s are awesome! Makes the OEM fog rendered useless. Thus I'm upgrading the OEM fog to the Hella Micro DE.

Then for purely cosmetic reasons - wanting them to match ur 6000k headlights - then your least expensive route and again with the most Lumens would be the DDM tuning 6000k 9006 HID kit. Your fog lights would then act as additional driving lights. Even decent LEDs will cost more then the $30 DDM kit. But either would def wrk.

5. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

6. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I too wanted my fog lights to match the 6000K headlights. I went to ebay and found new lamps at 6000K for the fogs for 16 a pair. Easy install in 7 minutes as long as you have small hands.
    -Paul R. Haller-

7. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Nice! do you have the Mfr name so we can look these up? Can you take a picture of your fog light beam pattern with the new bulbs?

Thanks!