1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Decided to not buy a Prius right now -- Gulp!

Discussion in 'Order Tracking' started by GreenMachine, Dec 31, 2005.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh, my husband is AWFUL with money. let's say we only had him managing the finances for about 2 months of our 6 years together...

he gets $40 cash/week for soda and snacks at work, which he can take out of each paycheck. he is not allowed to use the checking account for any of his soda or snacks, and if he does, then he only gets $20 the next week to feel my wrath. :lol:

when we are going to buy something big ($100 or more) we go together. i do all the regular shopping (groceries, personal items, etc.) if he wants to buy a bunch of tools from the tool guy, he is under express orders to discuss it with me first so we can determine how much he can spend.

now when i send him out christmas shopping that's a problem because i can't know what he's getting or how much he's spending.

overall things work out well this way. i'm happy, he's happy, we've got all we need, and both our credit scores are good or excellent. he's learning to deal better with money too.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Actually, I won't even pretend to be disciplined in entering the expenses. It's the evaluation of the entered data that's the most important.

Every month when the credit card bill comes, I enter all the line items into MS Money. No reason for me to do day-to-day entering. Then when the bank statement comes, I enter all those items into Money. One of the checks is for the credit card statement which means that the change in the checking account starting and ending balances is equal to the entries on both statements. We only use one statement so it's that's it. If you have more than one, it's the same principal. Then I graph and report the spending to see how we did. I do it entirely in a historical manner.

When everything balances out, I spend at most an hour (per month) entering things. But as the data builds over the months, I might spend a few hours a few times a month reviewing spending habits and altering my behavior accordingly.

3. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I tend to be a "focussed wastrel" -- i.e., I'm fairly conservative with $$ on consumables -- except for certain things.

Like books. Amazon.com owns my nice person.

One way I've learned to alleviate this -- spend wastefully on very cheap things, to make myself happy. Cheese popcorn is extremely cheap, and generally low in calories. :D

BTW, GreenMachine -- let me add my congratulations to others. It's rare to see someone resist the urge to buy in this country -- it's really difficult. Kudos to you!

4. TidelandAZ

TidelandAZ New Member

This is an even numbered year, right? Ask me that question next year. ;)

5. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Re: Decided to not buy a Prius right now -- Gulp!

If I hear of a good book being advertised, I go to Ebay and usually can buy it at a cheaper price than Amazon. It's the same book so why pay more?

6. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got 208,000 out of my Subaru. I would have gotten a lot more if I didn't live in a place where they salt the roads. Good luck.

7. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Nice when you revive a 6 year old thread!
    Car loan rates are now around 4%, 0r less!
    Time to buy a car and help the economy out!

1 person likes this.
  8. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeh, I got 0.00% on my Fit. Money's cheap right now.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

A friend of mine was able to get approved for a new or used car loan at 2.5%. Of course, after she bought her car, I found https://www.cefcu.com/promos/car-sale.php (1.89% APR).

10. Eileen82

Eileen82 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    they're also expensive and sometimes it's easy to get sucked into the 'fun' and regret the 'expensive' later on.

11. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    haha, when we bought our 2009 Toyota Corolla, had to talk my wife into getting the 3 year no interest loan (sales person couldn't believe us "discussing" the merits of taking the loan). I put the amount in a 3 year cd (at time was 4 or 5 %). My wife still paid it off early... It bothered her and wanted it over making that check out every month..

12. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I love, and by love I mean I want to hit myself, when sales people try to opine on what is best for me financially. I was the lucky recipient of some only mildly-covered mocking incredulity from an appliance sales person once, who was surprised at my hesitation to buy a washer/dryer, especially since I could get it for 12 months with no interest.

13. Edward74

Edward74 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks for the encouragement everyone -- very helpful to my spirits this new years day as I imagine everyone going to pick up their brand new Prii very soon.