1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Deciding between a 2009 and 2005

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by FilmDesigner, Dec 28, 2016.

1. FilmDesigner

FilmDesigner New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My budget is $7000 for an under 100,000 mi fuel efficient car to get me through grad school.

2005:
    68,000 mi, $7000
    2 owner, clean Carfax, all scheduled maintenance done, a bunch of stuff replaced. The Carfax says the battery was replaced but that might just be the 12 volt? I live in Texas, but it was also owned in Massachusetts and Pennsylvania. There's a tiny crack in the front bumper. The previous owner replaced the radio with a bluetooth one. Clean title, well maintained car.
    My main concern is rust from salty roads up north or heat damage from Texas summers. Also the low mileage, high year concern.

2009:
    74,000mi, $7000
    I don't have the CarFax for this one, I was going to ask the dealer for them tomorrow. They said the car was great, no real problems. Clean title, but there was a fender bender and a headlight had to be replaced.

The other option is buying my mom's 2008 84,000 mi Honda Civic. It's still $7000. I would pay her for it so there wouldn't be interest, but I also wouldn't be building my credit.

I feel like I'm in way over my head because I've never bought a car before and there is so much that goes into it, so any tips you have for when I go to the dealership tomorrow would be greatly appreciate it.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on the packages. The 2009 will have side and side curtain airbags whereas the 2005 may or may not (it was optional). If you look at the crash ratings, you're better off with one that does have the additional airbags.

the 2009 would also be a bit newer in terms of technology. There's an available backup camera, AUX input jack (3.5mm socket for plugging in music players) and bluetooth handsfree calling.

Here's a link to the archives with the packages listed. I suggest copying the 2005 and the 2009 ones onto a word processor for your reference.

2G Prius (2004-2009) Standard and Optional Equipment (Some Countries) | PriusChat

A "Touring" model (2007-2009) includes a larger 16" wheel, HID headlights, foglights, slightly longer rear spoiler and "euro-tuned" suspension.

Note that the HID headlights haven't had the best track record so your best bet is to stick with the regular halogen headlights.

3. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    With a 2009 model available at the same price, just forget about the 2005. It's really between the Civic and the 2009. Forget about building credit. There will be plenty of other opportunities to build credit. You can also easily build credit without paying anything so why pay interest when you don't have to? For example, buying a brand new Prius after you get a job with a 0% loan. So ignore building credit.

The Civic is your safest and best financial option in terms of repair history. Whether you should get the Civic depends on your relationship with your mother. What are the chances she asks for the full amount of the car a year later? If something major breaks the next day that she did not disclose to you, will you have to ask her to help pay for it because you have no money?

#3 mmmodem, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't buy a salvaged or rebuilt title car. When dealers say fender bender, it's their way of saying it's salvaged

m.wynn likes this.
  5. FilmDesigner

FilmDesigner New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2005 has curtain airbags, and the previous owner installed an Auxiliary cable and Bluetooth. The 2009 was in the middle of the ghetto and a guy came out and told me they weren't selling today. So now it's down to Mom's civic - no interest, or Bluetooth, or the 2005 Prius.

6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Civic is probably your best best as long as it is not a Civic Hybrid.
    Noone should buy a Civic Hybrid.

Check the actual value of the car through kbb.com.
    Include the appropriate trim level and features.
    Then you can see if you are getting a good deal.

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless your grad school major is Automotive Technology, I'd throw out a wider net to cover Non-hybrids.

Priuses are really great and dependable cars, and if you live in a CARB state (TX isn't) there are warranty extensions but most of the cars that this would apply to are > $7,000.
    Even almost two decades later, Priuses drivers tend to have more dealer horror stories since there is this myth that hybrids require more expensive upkeep than typical small, front-wheel drive, egg-shaped, four-door cars out there.

A $7,000 Prius is about 3/4 of the way through its design life-cycle, whereas you can get an ugly Corolla or Civic that was driven by a pensioner (and perhaps not ragged out by somebody who's seen all of the F&F movies too many times) that might be a little more dependable....NOT because they're inherently more dependable but because they had a slightly lower buy-in cost.
    This means they're be slightly more to the left of their dependability arc.

Either way, start shopping for a dependable independent mechanic THAT YOU CAN TRUST, and investigate the possibility of buying $100 worth of tools and watching some DIY videos.

Priuses are 90-percent small, front-wheel drive, egg-shaped, four-door cars which means that 90-percent of the maintenance and repairs are very simple...IF YOU ARE INFORMED.

If not?
    Then you could be of the multi-thousand dollar repair bill horror stories that we read about in the forum.

Good Luck!

edthefox5 likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    agree the civic is your best bet, if you don't have several thousand for repairs. the '05 could be costly, and the '09 sounds too cheap. all the best!(y)

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    very low miles old Prius has a good chance of needing a hybrid battery
    And that's a $$$$$ surprise jackpot that would not surprise any longtime
    Lurker here unlike your moms honda.

Like Etc says go buy the Honda.

You've made your location a secret too bad a local reputable Prius dealer has a 2009 with a new hybrid battery with 65000 miles for $6500 in Tampa

Tampahybrids.com

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I'd stick with the Civic then.

It's family owned (assuming your mum bought it new) and it's a reliable car. The replacement parts are cheaper (e.g. 12V battery..the 2005 Prius uses a smaller, non-conventional sized 12V battery so it's a bit more expensive because it's a "specialized" product vs. a regular sized 12V battery that you can buy off the shelf). It'll last as long as you need it and like others said, you can build credit in other ways.

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In NJ a car's title can be gifted to a family member saving the 7% sales tax. My vote is to keep the Honda in the family.

Have you looked at your credit score through discovercard.com or creditkarma.com? If you need to build credit apply for a credit card and only use it if you can afford to pay the entire bill.

Money isn't free and the price for the teaser loan rate is built into the purchase price. For those who haven't noticed, interest rates are rising so don't count on seeing 0% loans next year.

Best wishes whichever car you choose.

12. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    JimN is right in how to build or rebuild credit. You can also go to a credit card forum at MyFico that gives good advice for that kind of thing.

According to Edmunds, which has the most accurate used car price tool, $7000 is too much for either your mom's Civic or a 2005 Prius, unless they have a lot of extra features. For base models and the miles you gave for each car, the Civic is worth $4739 from a private party and the Prius is worth $5702 from a dealer. I'd either expand your search to other cars or see if you can get your mom to drop the price a lot.

#12 Moving Right Along, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    m.wynn and Velo781 like this.