1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Deciding between a new 2010 and a used 2005-2009 Prius. Need help!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by lethalsvt, Dec 30, 2010.

1. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would base my decision on money and ergonomics. The Gen II may be uncomfortable for some drivers (particularly taller people like myself) so it may take effort to make things work. I performed some "surgery" and all is well. Many think it's fine from the factory. Others remain dissatisfied after expending considerable effort. Advantage here goes to Gen III, which may not be perfect but does give a driver more adjustments to play with. An extended test drive in each will help.

You should also spend time deciding which instrumentation & control scheme you prefer. Gen II climate and audio controls are concentrated mainly on the touch-screen MFD. Gen III offers real buttons but moves the fuel economy and energy displays to a smaller, arguably less "pretty" display in the main cluster.

If in need of a replacement car tomorrow I honestly don't know which way I would go. Take your time getting to know them.

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Gen II is incredibly reliable and IMO looks better (modified) than a Gen III, but naturally it's styling is a touch out-of-date compared to the Gen III. It saddens me to finally admit that.

3. abasile

abasile Junior Member

Southern California Mountains, elev. 6130'
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We purchased our 2010 used through the Hertz Rent To Buy program. We paid $17,900 for a vehicle with a bit over 21,000 miles and no significant cosmetic issues. As we figured that most folks renting the Prius are paying a premium to drive a "green" car and are less likely to drive aggressively, we did not have concerns about buying a rental car.

I would also add that the traction control is improved in the 2010 model, which might make a difference if you drive in snow. IMHO, the 2010 styling is much nicer as well.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you given due diligence to the question of unintended accelleration?

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Were you able to get it to produce more power? That'd be a great mod and most welcome.