1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

deciding between loaded Prius and CT200h

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by zmre2b, Mar 18, 2012.

1. zmre2b

zmre2b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After doing a test drive of CT below is my comparison.

subjective features the CT200h has -- and the prius Gen III doesn't have:
    * much better seats, driving position and dash/console layout. Sitting in the CT fits like a glove compared to getting in the prius which feels like driving any random rental car.
    * Lexus fit and finish -- dash materials esp. are much better than prius
    * very comfy steering wheel and more responsive steering feel
    * sportier tuned handling (ind rear suspension and some vibration damping)

Tech available on Ct but not available on Prius (nothing really important here):
    * LED headlights
    * headlight washers
    * heated seats
    * memory seats
    * dual zone a/c
    * joystick Nav control
    * defoggers for outside mirrors
    * 10 speaker stereo (Prius best is 8)
    * Enform (like fancier Onstar)
    * backup camera in mirror (if no nav)
    * glass break sensor

Other things in favor of CT:
    * 6" shorter --> can fit into more parking spaces
    * Lexus warranty

Available on Prius but not CT:
    * Lane Keep Assist
    * Heads Up Display
    * Plasmacluster ionizer (?!)
    * bigger cargo area
    * bigger backseat area
    * Prius, because it weighs less and is more aerodynamic, the Prius is **faster** and more fuel efficient

While it is tough to chose a car that is actually SLOWER than the prius, and lacks a couple cool tech gadgets like HUD and LKA, the seats and the subjective driving feel of the CT might do it for me.

Am I missing anything?

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Definitely a subjective decision. My wife and I are 8 year owners of our 2004 Prius, and recently bought a CT. She would have preferred a G3 Prius to save money and preference for the exterior design, but I am the main driver of this car, and I chose the CT instead.

Why ?
    For one, I wanted a quiet, comfortable car for long trips. The Prius is good, the Lexus is better. Prius squeaks annoyed me enough to pay a lot to get rid of them LOL

Second, I like to keep cars a long time, and I expect the Lexus to age more gracefully interior wise because the materials are better quality.

Third, I like tech, but oddly enough I do not really like it in my face when I drive. The CT has a subdued interior design I like. My kids would no doubt call it boring ;)

I thought the main compromise I would have to accept to buy a CT over a Prius would be fuel economy, and that bothered me more than the higher cost. I am happy to say the CT actually is within 5% of our G2 Prius. The much lower EPA results are proof that *some* routes are much better in the Prius, but either I have not found them or as a driver I have adapted to the CT's requirements.

3. DBV

DBV New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am looking at a 12 Prius Five Series and a CT200h too. I like everything better about the CT200h, except the backseat room and no upholders in the backseat. Prius has quite a bit more room. Agree the Lexus front seats are really comfortable and love the layout.

4. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I just test drove both yesterday, trying to make the same decision.
    For whatever reason the CT is just too tight for space inside. It just won't work with our reverse facing infant seat without the passenger being pretty uncomfortable and squished.
    It's too bad, because otherwise it's a no-brainer IMHO.
    So it's a Prius with package 5 for me.

5. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    BTW, LED headlights, headlight washers, heated seats and enform are all available on the upper model prius. Which to me is a better comparison to the CT.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait, why are you comparing to a Prius Three when you should be comparing to a Prius Five?

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think speaker count matters that much in this class. Our 2005 Prius had a 9-speaker JBL audio. Our 2002 Camry had a 6-speaker JBL audio. The Camry's JBL audio system sounded much better.

8. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would choose the CT based on this alone. If you're not comfortable with the feel of the Prius, you're always gonna be doubting yourself and wishing you would've went with the CT.

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some of us actually find the CT to be less comfortable because of how cramped the interior is. The driver's seat area wasn't too bad but everywhere else felt like a cockpit and not in a good way. :( So if you regularly have passengers you may want to consider them and their comfort.

10. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I guess it varies by person, but for me, driver>passenger. But I have to admit, passenger room for the Prius is pretty nice :)

11. emejay

emejay New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another consideration is the dealer...if you want granite counter tops in the parts department and free coffee in the waiting room, think Lexus. Also think of who pays for it!! Haha....An oil filter at my local Lexus dealer was $12.95, at the Toyota dealer a mile down the road it was $4.95.

I do love my CT, but I'm more at home at the Toyota dealer.

12. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    No one beats lexus service. Our dealer offers free pick and delivery anywhere in the city, for any service, including dropping off your loaner car which is included "free" of charge. Plus the free coffee, wifi, nice lounge area, etc if you'd rather wait. And you are treated so much better from the second you step foot in the dealership. Ya you are paying for it but it sure is a much nicer experience.

Just one more reason it pained me to find out the CT was too small. :(

13. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I own a '12 CT "F" and I gotta say that coming from a G2 #6, it was a no brainer.

Now, with that said and done, rear storage, cargo and seating room was seriously compromised. I've moved THREE times with my G2 and I dont think the CT could have accommodated as much room. If rear passengers/cargo is not too much of a consideration, the CT is a must.

But, hearing myself talk, isn't the Prius always the most practical car?

Cheers.

14. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2 nearby Toyota dealers have free coffee (I think: I don't drink it) and wireless. No granite counter tops though. Cheapskates. :(

From what I've read the CT is also potentially very efficient, whatever the EPA says. But if I'm spending that much money I'd rather put it into a plug-in.

15. zmre2b

zmre2b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was comparing with 5 with atp. That is why I mentioned hud and lka. I didn't think it had enform (different from entune ) or headlight washers or heated seats that i saw.

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What state are you in?

Although Lexus' basic and powertrain warranties are longer, are you in CA or a CARB emissions state?

From our discussion at http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-h...now-dealer-lots-starting-29-999-photos-6.html and Lexus Warranty and Protection it seems the CT may not have the 10 year/150K mile HV battery warranty that AT-PZEV cars (like the regular Prius) would get in CA and CARB emissions states. Ditto for the 15 year/150K mile emissions warranty.

You can check the warranty booklets of both to see the details.

17. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In simplest terms:
    • The Prius is a hybrid Toyota.
    • The CT200h is a hybrid Lexus.

18. SoCalBPrius

SoCalBPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also, consider with the extra $$ saved on getting the prius, u can upgrade the suspension to be equal or better than the CT. I'm not knocking the Lexus, as I own a 2007 RX350 & know their great quality vehicles but one way or another you are paying for it.

19. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry, I meant Entune. Enform is the same (apps) but adds the Lexus version of Onstar, connecting you with a Lexus service rep for emergency assistance, directions, etc. I believe you are right, that part is not available on the Prius. But those other items are available. The heated seats are hidden under the "bridge" in the cubby space. The headlight washers are included with the LED headlamps.

20. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Tough choice, but in the end I guess it's what you value more: comfort/luxury vs. practicality. Both have its merit, I decided on the Prius instead because I rather spend the money save on an Enginer plug in system instead.