1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Deciding on new 2017 some input needed

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by shadow4478, Aug 14, 2017.

1. shadow4478

shadow4478 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just getting ready to buy a new Prius,

the choice is between a white or silver color,
    any known issues with the clear cote or how they hold up so far for existing owners?
    I used to have a Tacoma white and it was horrible to keep clean, constant pollution spots that look like tiny rust spots would show all the time this was a 2011 model. I love the white look but am afraid to have the same experience.

2nd question,is it worth to wait for the 2018 model any significant face lifts or features worth waiting for, we are considering the basic model no Touring or Technology package.
    when is the 2018 going on sale?

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    9/19 of my cars have been white (incl my PRIUS) - so maybe I'm biased. It's a good "colour", but get paint protection, makes it heaps easier to look after. White doesn't become invisible like many dark colours, like it's easily visible day and night. Only thing is, the most popular colour in the carpark, it's not so easy to find as say a red or yellow car.

I'm not sure where Barrie is, but if it's a hot clime, white is the colour for you too.

That said, my last car was pale silver, and it was the easiest car I've had to keep clean, it just didn't seem to show normal highway dirt - I probably only washed it every 6 months - I'd vacuum the inside more often than wash it.

RCO likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a Barrie in Ontario, Canada?(n)

With our 3rd gen, we went in looking for white, but would have greatly preferred a non-metallic white. Anyway, none were readily available, a silver touring caught our eyes, never regretted it, love it.

The white is an extra charge too, I believe.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  4. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's odd - here, with nearly every model of car, you pay extra, except for non-metallic colours, which in most cases is only white now.

Metallic whites (Pearl) were most expensive some cars when Pearl first hit the market, as they had an extra step in the painting process.

Mendel Leisk and RCO like this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can verify there is a Barrie in Ontario Canada. It is definitely not southern Ontario either.
    White is the most visible colour from a distance. Blues, silvers and grays are the worst.
    Where the paint chips on the Blizzard Pearl white, the undercoat is black. A gray undercoat would be less noticeable.
    In the US the red and white are premium colours with a surcharge.

Mendel Leisk and RCO like this.
  6. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Silver is the way to go, always looks clean, I do agree it's not the most visible colour, I often get clowns pulling out on me, but I'm not sure if that's because of the colour or because it's a Prius and they assume I'm going slow to save fuel.:)

alanclarkeau and RCO like this.
  7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My choice is invariably bright red where possible. Pre-puberty, it was always powder blue, but I suppose red reflects my passionate alter-ego, sadly a fading memory nowadays, sigh!

But you're right kithmo, the reason they paint fighter jets grey is they were far less conspicuous to the naked eye. Tell me, is your Prius armed and can it pull more than 2g?

Mendel Leisk, Sooner Al and kithmo like this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You want to drive a Prius that is far less conspicuous?? You want to make your Prius roadkill?? :eek:
    @jerrymildred can tell you that is not pleasant, although he ended up buying a plug-in Prius as a replacement.

jerrymildred, kithmo and RCO like this.
  9. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Armed with a full tank of fuel and ready to go, yes it can pull more than 2g, it can pull 3G and 4G when it's connected to my phone. :cool:

RCO, Prodigyplace and alanclarkeau like this.
  10. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah - maybe I should go Bright Red again - have another go at a mid-life crisis. Hybrid of course.

RCO, kithmo and Prodigyplace like this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looking at your current avatar I think you are already there, at least mentally. :eek: :D

RCO, kithmo and alanclarkeau like this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are gen 4 paint issues, are there not?

unlikely any significant changes for 2018.

13. ea8631

ea8631 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    I did choose the blizzard pearl white for my 2017 because I like the pearl effect under the sun, but this time I will coat with paint protection. Since my totaled 2012 Gen 3 with blizzard pearl white do have those tiny "rust spots" all over the place.

For your second question it's depends do you have time to wait since I found out the 2018 won't start manufacture until Nov from some fleet website and by the time it reach here in Canada it will be January 2018. For the difference I want to know too but can't find any info from web and dealer yet. I didn't wait and I pick up my 2017 last Friday because of the long wait time for 18. Also it currently have the clearance event going on, the 2017 I got end up $5000 cheaper compare to the gen 3 I got back in 2012 (both are technology advanced pkg) and it come with 0% financing.

#13 ea8631, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah didn't clarify: here you can only get metallic white. :(

15. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know the US changed the 2017 packaging several months ago and added more safety features as standard (blind spot monitor & some others). Did they do that in Canada too?

#15 Prodigyplace, Aug 15, 2017
  16. NeilPeart

NeilPeart Hybrid & PiP Convert

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hey! My wife would take offense to that! :whistle:

jerrymildred and Prodigyplace like this.
  17. ea8631

ea8631 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Yes, the TSS-P and the heated seat become standard this year. I also notice the cup holder and the phone charger tray become black this year (which is I prefer instead of white).

18. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, actually the texter victim got replaced with an '07. The PiP was to replace the red '05 that was wearing out on me. I need that green '07 to last till I can manage gen 4. Interestingly, the texter victim was silver. But it was long after dark so a moot point.

And you could have a Kawasaki green fluorescent car and it won't matter here because no one's looking outside their vehicle. The phone is inside, so why would I look outside?

Silver/gray is nice in that it needs less cleaning, but on the other hand, even when it is clean, it doesn't look that great. I love bright colors, but get what's available in my price range.

kithmo and Prodigyplace like this.
  19. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :LOL:

20. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I prefer the matte black console in mt trim two. They needed to make the shifter surround black too.

They added even more in a mid-year change here, after I got mine. (of course)

#20 Prodigyplace, Aug 15, 2017