1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Decisions and lack of sleep

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by frogpond1, Aug 19, 2009.

1. frogpond1

frogpond1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm actually having a hard time deciding on the Prius. While I like the Prius alot there is a lot to like with my E. Took my wife for a test drive and she actually likes it too. The AWD here in NE is awsome, the stock stereo is actually good, no carpeting makes it a breeze to clean, the neoprene seats make for no mess easy clean plus the vehicle rides higher and with plastic cladding the dirt and rocks just tend to bounce off leaving no dings, dents etc. Scratches and dents tend to drive me nuts(my wife thinks I'm nuerotic). Oh but the mpg with the Prius, its comfortable, quite, no sales tax along with some other bennies here in CT and my long commutes...oh well decisions, decisions....

As for upgrading to the JBL in the III my wife and finances might not take it but we'll see.

2. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am losing sleep waiting to take delivery of the 2010 V on Friday..I feel your pain! But it's a good pain I guess. I also live in a climate and love the AWD and wish the Prius had it. I don't know about your Connecticut Winters, but Buffalo certainly ranks up there. I am trading a 2007 Honda Civic, (yes 2 year old perfectly good car) for the Prius, that's how much I like the car. Had a 2003 and a Yukon at the same time. After work downsizing I had to get rid of one, which DO YOU think went first? Yup the Prius. And have missed that car ever since. The refinements to the 2010 are substantial. The ride is superior to the 2003 I had, and better than the Honda Civic by far. The technology of the car is truly amazing. Sure that comes with some concern or worry when a failure comes, but if you maintain them you should be good.

I never drove or saw the E one on one, but I have a feeling with the words you said of your long commutes...you may end up loving the Prius more. As for the options, get what you can, as it's something you will enjoy on those long commutes.

I pick mine up this Friday 8/21 and can't wait. Drove it yesterday before they started to prep and do the paperwork and it's just phenominal. Love the Smart Key although takes a little getting used to not having that key in your hand....but it will come quick.

It's a highly dependable car...no belts, what a great thing...uses exhaust gas (muffler portion) for more quick warmups in winter and faster heat...can get a true Toyota Fob for remote start..a bit pricey but only one Fob to carry no matter what..worth it to me than carrying a jungle of keys..

I wish you luck..and unless your get more snow than me, lean to the Prius. I am as Nuerotic as you about dings, dents, and anything...and sure a bit safer from that in a higher vehicle..your not oblivious to them either. I just think drive both and make your best judgement...and good luck! Let me know which way you decided as I am curious.

Rob

Attached Files:

3. frogpond1

frogpond1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yay! Someone who's in the same boat as me. Thinking about the III although 1k isn't worth just Blue Tooth and JBL should come with something a bit extra.

4. BlueIce

BlueIce New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I purchased the II just because the JBL and Blue tooth are not worth the $$$. The sound is good with the STD radio.

5. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Frogpond,

I actually went with the V since we don't need the Solar Roof here in Buffalo, but I wanted the Navigation, Leather, LED Headlights, and those were things that were important to me. Especially the "heated" leather seats when it's -20 Wind Chill in Buffalo! :eek:

I think unless your hit with a bad storm of major accumulation you will be fine. As with anything, SUV or not, 4 Dr Sedan or not, the success as you know, is driving skill when it comes to winters.

Keep me posted which way you decided and good luck.

Check out a Prius IV with Leather, I bet you won't be dissappointed....

Bob

6. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It also adds the satellite radio.

7. frogpond1

frogpond1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lol, I wish but that is out of our reach and besides leather never did anything for me. Assuming I can get good money for my trade or private sale I will aim for the III otherwise its the II. Really not much wiggle room in the negotiation around here.

8. SCJoe

SCJoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We debated on II/III, but it so happened that we could get a III in the color we wanted in 2 weeks, vs. 10 weeks for a custom ordered II.

Plus, Bluetooth phone was a major necessity, and while $1000 for it to be built-in is pretty outrageous, I figured it would cost me at least $300 to replace the head unit and put in a trim kit (I don't like external bluetooth adapters), plus the work, and it probably wouldn't look as good with the slanted console, so ... yeah, I wasted a few hundred dollars to get the buttons put on the steering wheel.

9. urlyadoptr

urlyadoptr New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I went with a III over a II, and I'm glad I did. The Bluetooth controls on the steering wheel are really nice (although I did hang up on my wife today, still getting used to them)! I know $1000 is big money for an upgraded sound system, but it sounds great to me (esp with my iPod through the aux input), and I really like the built-in XM. (In my last car I had a suction-cup mounted Sirius receiver with wires going everywhere... it was a mess!) Plus I was able to negotiate almost $600 off MSRP, so it didn't cost me all that much more than a II anyway. Looking forward to my morning commute as I type this!!

10. frogpond1

frogpond1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With C4C ending soon I'm hoping there might be a little bit more wiggle room when negotiating in a month or so.