1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Decisions, decisions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by livelychick, Apr 30, 2007.

1. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you want to save some money, go with Package 2 and buy an aftermarket navigation unit when you're more comfortable. You should be able to work that deal for something in the range of $22,000-$22,500 if you go through a dealer that has some inventory. I'm using a Garmin Nuvi 660 which has bluetooth and traffic capability, and it looks like map upgrades are on the order of $75. I don't have that factory integration but it seems to be a very good unit.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    you can think long term cost savings only if you're able to handle cost today, if you know what i mean. personally, our situation isn't so much about the getting laid off as the whole getting income from the job at all thing for one of us. had it been like this when we were looking to buy a car, we surely would not have a prius in the parking lot, or any other new car for that matter.

if you can afford now to think long term, buying a reasonably priced prius (is there still a tax credit?) and running it till it hits the ground is a perfectly reasonable idea. that's where we were back in 04 when we were considering buying one. if, at the moment, you're just too nervous about the job thing right now, obviously there are other cars that fit the financial bill better than a prius- even though you'll be paying more at the pump. you will stress less over the car payment and have more money to stick away for an emergency fund.

it sounds like you dearly want to keep driving a prius, but if the situation is that nerve-wracking, you're going to have to look at want (prius) vs need (a car that is safe and runs well.)

this is a good chance to start fresh, now that all that negative equity is gone, and really work out what is best for you now and later. maybe now a cheaper car would work better, so you can save for another prius in a few years and have built up some more financial security in the meantime.

whatever you choose to do, good luck and i'm glad the worst decision you have to make is what car to buy next!

3. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Highly ImPriused @ May 1 2007, 10:42 AM) [snapback]433202[/snapback]</div>
    I think it all comes down to the model you test drove. The XR is the only version I would get if for nothing else the alloy wheels. The Matrix has always come with a 1.8L engine and although I doubt its changed in two model years, even my '05 AWD had better pickup then the prius. Depends on what your looking for I guess. The prius definitely has a smooth suspension, but I suspect that had more to do with the tire pressures then the actual suspension of the car. (Upon bringing the pressures up on the Prius the ride is much rougher and I think I feel more now then I did in the Matrix) Also I forgot to add in the first post one of the big knocks on the Prius is the seats, the Matrix seats are much more comfortable and better for longer term driving, strange for a bucket seat but true.
    The AWD version was never out there in much quantity and was quite uncessary for the line (especially with a rumored Corolla AWD in the future) not to metion the milage really suffered as I mentioned in my previous post. I'm not sure how it is in NY but a loaded Matrix out here was sitckered at 18k-19K compared to a base prius at 22k-23K(really 23k as there were no bases models anywhere) thats at least 4,000 unless you really can find a base prius...Finally remember we are comparing a compact to a mid-size so sure the Prius is a step up, (in fact its the closest I've driven to the luxury sedan yet) but were not discussing that, its about price vesus performance. MPG and gadgets aside the matrix is a better overall performer then the Prius for the money. Just giving you my 'jaded' view of the Matrix Lively Chick :) And remember I traded mine in and haven't looked back....

4. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Don't buy more car then you can afford.

If the prius stretches your budget then I would look closer at a Honda FIT and maybe the Yaris. Small, efficient cars. Next I would look at the Civic and Corolla.

While maybe not the most exiting cars they should hold up well and give you decent security and mpg.

I would also recommend buying a used car. I would have done that again if the cost of a used PRIUS wasn't so high when I looked at it. My last car I bought in 1998 was a 1996 model and ran mostly problem free for me during the 8+ years I owned it. Could have lasted a bit longer but I wanted a Prius and the car started to cost money.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ May 1 2007, 11:44 AM) [snapback]433254[/snapback]</div>
    we bought our 89 camry about 18 mo ago for $900... stuck $1000 into it (all normal maintenance items, t-belt, seals, brakes, etc) and it runs like a champ. has 140k miles on it, his last camry topped 250k still running great, we sold it to buy this one. we'll easily get another 5 years out of it.

so we have paid about as much in interest on the prius as we've paid for the purchase and upkeep of the camry. sure it only gets ~22 mpg in the city but again... paid about as much in INTEREST on the prius as for that whole car. big savings... but no airbags, etc. that is the downside. of course, finding a newer car with the desired safety options that cheap is impossible.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ May 1 2007, 10:44 AM) [snapback]433254[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. The trick is to seperate the "need" from the "want" in a new car purchase. Do you NEED a nav system? $300-$400 can buy a good aftermarket unit. Do you NEED a 6 CD changer?

Based on the numbers I've seen thrown around, members have gotten slightly higher option packages for a couple thousand less than I paid for my 2006. If the question is should I spend $25K or $22K for the Prius my vote is for the lower package number. Never had the other fancy stuff. Don't miss it. But this doesn't seem to be the question.

Is the $24K car twice as "good" as the $12K car? Probably not. It sounds like the difference between a decent less expensive car (no opinion on what that might be) and a Prius would be better invested paying down debt, or invested in quality stocks or bonds. Only you can decide what is best for you and your family. May things work out for the best regardless of the path you choose.

The hybrid tax credit expires in October.