1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Declining EV every day after full charge??

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by SocialSuzy, May 17, 2012.

1. SocialSuzy

SocialSuzy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you so much everyone for your input. Sorry I've been out of touch for a few days - busy w/ life & work :)
    So it's been a few days since my initial post, and now the car is at 8.9m EV when it's fully charged :( Again, decreasing. I've been trying to do alot of what you all of have suggested, I don't gun it, drive gentle. My commute is in El Dorado Hills up Hwy. 50 and Sacramento (much flatter). Also, on your pics above from your readings, when it shows 999mpg on the bottom row, that's not what I see. mine says 75mpg with avg. of 23mph. A number I'm happy with, however 80% of my driving is under the 15 miles r/t and bought the car based on that. Thinking that I would be able to rely on EV majority of the time. But with 8.9 now my max EV, that's almost 1/2 of what it should be obviously not giving me the results I thought I was buying the car for.
    I only have a few hills that I encounter on a daily basis, maybe up to 1000 ft. max if that. And I drive maybe 25 mph up the hills and take it slow keeping it in EV mode.

I've been taking pictures as well of my dash reads and will upload for your opinions. I do really appreciate your feedback since all of you seem to know more than anyone at Toyota :(

2. SocialSuzy

SocialSuzy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't drive up Pikes Peak with a Lead Foot everyday. Max elevation I drive up is 1000 ft. and I take it slow - max to 28mph........

3. SocialSuzy

SocialSuzy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for posting. See where it shows you at 999mpg? I don't EVER get that, even when I'm in EV. Mine says 76mpg with 23 mpg average :(

4. Brentley

Brentley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I live in a pretty hilly area and frequently have to climb a very steep hill.

when I climb this hill I can watch my EV Range drop by 1/10 of a mile every 100 feet or so.

My EV Range maxes at about 11.8. I would be guilty of having a bit of a strong foot, but I had been using hills etc. to try to gain charge to extend the EV range.

I regularly have trips that I get 999 with, with the AC running.

5. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ah, some more details, excellent! It's definetly odd you never see the 999 (apologies to Herman Cain), hopefully the experts here can begin to pinpoint the problem!

6. GoBears75

GoBears75 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I too have the EV declining syndrone. Started at 13.1 on 4/7, now I'm at 9.9 after a full charge. Typically I drive 90 miles round trip to work, recharging during the day. Mostly flat freeway driving in the HOV lane. I use ECO mode on freeway except for on ramps. I do not like this trend. Ready to take into the dealer.

1 person likes this.
  7. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Okay so I've seen a lot of people saying that leaving the battery SOC at 100% for too long can deteriorate the life of the battery. This caused so much panic in me to run out and drive the car if I charged it in expectations of us going out some evening, but ended up staying home.

The discussions about deterioration of battery performance on the two Leaf's in Arizona were cars that were left at 100% SOC sitting in the sun for a month.

So, if you charge your battery and don't use it that evening, the car is fine. Don't worry.

As for you guys that worry that your EV range has gone down: start learning to step on the gas pedal like you are stepping on an egg that you don't want to break. (I learned this trick with my Honda Civic Hybrid).

Also inflate your tires!

Tips to improve your gas mileage - The Problem Solver

8. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also...drive as if your car has no brakes.

9. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    And you will be wasting your time at the dealer, but hey, whatever makes you feel better.

I'm not being rude but what do you expect them to do? The car is not broke nor is there anything for them to fix. Would you hope they add a second battery pack or something?

10. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Show us a picture. I think you mean 23 mph average. Your engine must be coming on at some point or you are not resetting the trip odo and it's showing a lifetime mpg with hv factored in. If you're resetting the trip ODO and only run in EV it will show 999mpg.

11. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Got the Climate Control on? :D try turning it off. drive with climate control off

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Slow is your trouble.

Just like with the regular Prius, new owners assume preventing the engine from starting is more efficient. Though counter-intuitive, you are much better off taking advantage of letting the engine join in.

With plug-in supplied electricity, the engine will run at a remarkably low RPM, allowing it to supply power by only using a small amount of gas. The electric motor will handle the brunt of the power demand.

It always makes me wonder how long it takes each newbie struggling with MPG to discover they've been fighting the system. Making the assumption that not using the engine is better is very easy. That's why we promote the "Just Drive It" motto.

13. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Of course, 76 MPG is insanely high gas mileage, you know that, right?

Get in your freshly-charged car and reset the trip odometer. (Tap the Trip button on the steering wheel until Trip A or B appears, then press and hold the Trip button until the odometer resets). The car will start up in EV mode and the MPG will read 999 until the engine starts. As soon as the engine starts, MPG will fall like a rock, like 50% immediately.

One more thing -- Yesterday morning, I woke up early and took a drive at ultra-low speed just to see how high I could get my mileage. You can see my display reported an average speed of just 15 MPH.

14. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The PiP will NOT charge to 100%.. what you see as a full charge is 85-86% of charge, well within the safe region for lithium. (It also cannot go to 0% at the other end, just 22 when the Ice will normally start).

The confusion comes about because with Leaf, Nissian decided to allow users to charge to the actual 100%, which can rapidly degrade a battery. But they wanted to all 100% so when you needed the extra range you could get it. Since PHEVs have an ICE for extra range, they take the safter route and protect the battery from such abuse.

To rebound: 76 is only "insanely high" by yesterday's standards.. The OP was expecting to be gas free in which case 76 is a very bad day. I dread any day where I burn any, and 76 is a very bad day. (130+ mile trip) Funny how quickly that changed.

15. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I see in your signature your cost per mile. Does that include the electricity you have to purchase to charge it?

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    suzie, it seems to me your car is fine and you are confused. rebound has it right in post 53. you will not see 999mpg unless you reset either trip A or B. instead of trying to do all this on your commute, you need to find time to charge your battery and go for a leisurely drive on the flattest route you can find. reset your trip, notice it says 999, keep your windows up and stereo off. when you hear the engine start, the 999 will drop and the ev mode display will go out. now see how many miles you drove without gas.

17. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, that includes all costs for fuel (premium gas) and for electricity it includes kWh, and cost allocation of the house's grid access charges, taxes and green(wind) power added charges. I have time of day Use rate charging. Off-peak rate is now $.05kWr, with everything added in its almost .06/kWh. Put that in more context, my net increase for my last electric bill was $20 over the same billing period last year, which was over 800 miles.

I'll also that I'm also more efficient than many drivers. In spring/summer weather I'm getting 48-52 miles per charge. Last month, measured from the wall, I was under 25.7kwh/100miles (EPA is 36/100miles), so I'm close to 28% more efficient a driver than the EPA estimates. If measured from battery to wheels (as in the PiP display's) that would be about 218 Wh/mile or about 4.57 miles per kWh. So when on electricity now I'm actual closer to $0.013 per mile, but I do use gas for long trips and brings the cost up a bit.

The .024 is a long term average over 4119 miles and 5 mostly winter months. The cold weather also uses more battery -- I was only getting 35-38 miles in Jan.

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    EV range might just be an entirely different issue. My car pool'er has occasional fits of anger (gets cut off ... someone won't signal, etc), then he floors it. He doesn't even know he's doing that. I'm not saying the OP is doing that ... but just that it might be some type of a correctable issue of driving style. Best thing to determine whether that's a possibility, just have an experienced PiP driver do the EV drive, in the vehicle in question.

19. DCDave

DCDave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As I've posted before, I also have a declining EV range readout from a full charge (down to the single digits). While that concerns me, I also have driven 550 miles since I took delivery of my PiP, and the gas gauge just hit half-empty.
    Both results may be consequences of the kind of driving I do: mainly short trips with many lights and four-way stops. I will mention it to the dealer, just the same, when I go in for service. But my overall mpg situation is outstanding (of course, I am still waiting for my first electric bill).
    Does anyone have any recommendation on how best to handle trips well beyond your EV range to places where you can't recharge: do you try to "split up" the EV range you have between the drive out and the drive back...or is it better to make one trip using most of the EV range and rely on HV on the return?
    Thanks!

20. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I drive around Los Angeles a lot. I've notice the PiP will use the EV batteries up during HV driving if you are a pro at pulse & glide. MPG averages in the 75-80 mpg range when it does this.

I use HV on the freeways (65 mph) and upon exit of the freeway go full EV for the last few miles.

1 person likes this.