1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Declining EV every day after full charge??

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by SocialSuzy, May 17, 2012.

1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    he meant the smiley in the reply box

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    right. what icon are you referring to andy?

3. Test, sorry, I see no smiley (icon)......... Anywhere.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it must be the ipad. have you tried a computer yet? it's right at the top of message box where you type, along with a bunch of other stuff for fonts and etc.

5. Ty Bisco,perhaps Danny did not program for the IPad, the IPad is a computer. But I know what you mean.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    right. here's a smiley for you, the selection is limited. :p

7. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The EV range issue does seem to resemble the DTE (Distance to Empty) calculation. It seems to be an estimate of what you can expect to get (EV range) given your historical driving habits. Will the amount of charge stored in the battery increase or decrease relative to the outside air temperature while charging? Will the distance driven change with outside air temperatures while driving?

If someone would like to give me their PHEV Prius, I can check it out for you *wink*.

8. stu lb

stu lb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    As I stated above, my EV range estimate has declined from 13.2 when new to 11.0 after my latest full recharge today (car now has 1100 miles on it). After this recharge, I took the car out and drove it around town to completely drain the EV battery: it went 12.2 miles on EV, and MPGe at the end of the trip was 982. Conclusion: the estimate really is just an estimate based on past driving, as several PC members have said.

9. eddiesudz

eddiesudz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Mine was down in the low 10's about a month ago. Gotten it up to 12.1 as of the last couple of days. Been actively working the HV/EV button to maximize miles on EV. So far it's paid off.......

Not really worried or concerned about it but it's more of a challenge to see how high I can get it to go. My biggest problem is 95% of my driving is on the fwy so it's hard to keep the EV/HV ratio high... Just not possible with my commute

10. stu lb

stu lb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    eddiesudz: would you share the techniques you use to raise the ev range? Specifically, what's the best way to use the EV/HV button so that you get the most miles on EV? Thanks.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you use ev where you can travel a greater distance on ev (slow flat driving) and hv to ver your hilly high speed terrain, your ev miles will close in on 15 miles and the computer will begin adjusting to those miles. but in the end, it's just a game. the next time you drive pure ev, you will only get what you always got because you won't be driving slow flat terrain all the way. you can't get more energy out of the batteries than they can store. the people who are getting higher ev ranges are driving slower flatter terrain than you are. same as gasoline, there's a reason why different people get different mpg's on fifferent commutes with different driving styles and that's why everyone complains about epa estimates.

12. JamesCSmith

JamesCSmith New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Other than drive down hill with the wind at your back

13. stu lb

stu lb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks, bisco--I appreciate the info. Agreed, it really is a game. My wife also has a PIP, does a lot of freeway driving, and she never pays attention to things like EV range or anything else like that. And she has a higher EV estimate than I do! (11.6 vs. 11.0). I try to remember the advice: just drive and enjoy the Prius! But I'm a computer nerd, and enjoy the tech aspects of the PIP.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no nerd here, but i enjoy the game too. i just like to know the rules before i play!:p

15. SimiPrius

SimiPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    I can tell you it takes a long time to get the range up. I started switching to HV mode the last 3 miles to my home because it is all slightly uphill. My range in the morning was down to 11.2 before i started this process. It began increasing 1 or 2 tenths each day. After 3 weeks I am now at 15.2 when I first start it in the AM.

16. eddiesudz

eddiesudz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know if it's a great technique but when I'm on the fwy I engage the HV when coasting or slowing down in traffic or on the offramp. My thoughts are that the system logs these miles and it regens the battery so I get a two'fer. I find that I can regen about 5 or so miles with this technique which then adds to the number of miles I can drive on HV when I hit the streets.....

Anyone have an option on this? Is there a different or better way of bumping the numbers up?

17. Technique for suburbia: Accelerate slowly in HV til you are at or a bit beyond the speed limit then put the car in neutral and glide until a light comes up and put the car in EV For a good regen, stop for light. I drove over 30 miles yesterday and came home still with 5 miles charge left. Long glides in neutral in EV or HV will produce 100 mpg bars on minute scale. I use this in non regenerative situations in lieu of cruise control, and always back in gear when decelerating.

18. guardia1937

guardia1937 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am on my third tank of gas and the indicator for the battery after charging is decreasing. I am now at 11.3 EV range Originally I had a reading of 13.3 then 12. 8 then 11.8. I am unable to complete a round trip of 12.2 miles that I made in the past.
    I am going to report this to my car dealer who doesn't have a PIP so the next stop is Toyota.

19. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This probably has more to do with your driving style, speed, and altitude change along your route than the car or battery.

I've had my PiP for almost 4 months now (it'll be 4 months old on July 1st). The first few weeks when I was monitoring my battery's state-of-charge (SoC) when full, I was getting a consistent 85.1%. I havent logged in a quite a while, but decided to log my commute home yesterday. I was surprised to see my battery's SoC when leaving work (after a full charge) was reading 85.5% now. This was the number reported by two different readings, one for SoC and the other for IgnOn SoC (which I assume is the initial instant reading as soon as the car is is turned on, which is supposed to be more accurate I believe).

Now, the 85.1 to 85.5 change could be attributable to inaccuracies in the reading or maybe because its warmer now. Maybe it has something to do with how the battery itself works or the battery management system works. Either way, I think its safe to say the battery has experienced no degradation (and I would never expect there to be any degradation for quite sometime).

Additionally, my initial EV range displayed on a full charge has varied from 13.4 to as low as 11.2 or so. It now reads somewhere around 12.6 to 12.9 depending on the flow of traffic (traffic lights, speed of flow, etc). But my daily commute to and from work is the same pretty much every day. And each day when I get to work, I end up with around 2-3 miles of EV range left. And each day when I get home, it runs out of EV within about 1.0 to 1.5 miles from home. But, again, in both cases, the number varies depending on traffic and how fast I'm driving.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be weather too.