1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Deduction cargo weight tag

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by abra, Jul 31, 2013.

1. abra

abra Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    2010 package 4
    I have a tag in the driver door that says "mod deduct 13pounds from cargo weight" Why?

2. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine does also [​IMG]

Don't know why but Prius can haul several hundred pounds of cargo plus people and still get 45 mpg.

Mike

3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Why? Because you have pounds of extras over the base model. It probably it exceeds the Fed limits and Toyota is required to modify the max weight.

4. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All Prius have that sticker and it says the same thing. I originally thought it was from my glass roof but then I seen the same sticker on rental Prius Two's. I believe the 2013 RAV4 also has a similar sticker. I forgot to look at the Camry's the last time I drove one :(:(

Mike

5. g4_power

g4_power Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Solar panel weight? Just guessing

6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That was my guess until I seen the rental Prius have the same sticker and the ones I drove are the base stripper models.

Mike

g4_power likes this.
  7. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My Prius placard says weight capacity is 825 lbs and I would say it's realistic --- based on driving with (4) passengers and considerable luggage and noticing a degradation in handling.

8. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most vehicles will get that heavy feeling when loaded with 4 people and even more so when adding luggage or other items. Prius handles just fine packed floor to ceiling with several hundred pounds of stuff and 3 people with their luggage. I've driven them from Central Florida to Central Minnesota loaded that way with zero problems even running 70-75 mph on the Interstates. Only one time did I have the car get squirrely but that was on a black ice covered Iowa road at night :p It was easy to recover and keep on down the road ;) Prius is an amazing design.

Mike

9. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No, not all Priuses have this sticker; mine does not, for example. It just has the stock 825 lb sticker.

I think I remember reading on here a while back that Southeast Toyota mailed out some of those stickers for cars that were supposed to have them due to the addition of port-installed options. Maybe it's possible they could be a little aggressive with the application of the sticker - applying the 13 pound sticker to every vehicle that goes through, even if it doesn't get all 13 pounds of extras that could be added.

WE0H likes this.
  10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wonder if it is just the 2011 and newer that have the sticker? I am pretty sure I seen them on rentals back then and definitely on the 2012 & 2013 rentals as well as my own 2012. Kind of like a mystery figuring out little things like this sticker ;)

Mike

11. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Unfortunately, this is correct. The irony is that some spacious vehicles (I consider Prius to be very spacious) have relatively low load ratings. Another example is the the Honda CRV with a rating of 850lbs. Meanwhile, a VWGolf has a rating of about 1100lbs. Perhaps it's a function of how close to the road you carry your load? Or is it suspension stiffness? My old Volvo 850 carries 1000lbs with ease, but the ride is objectionably harsh when empty and it sucks twice as much gas as the Prius. Minivans seem to be the answer for carrying a lot of weight -- see link below:

Exterior & Cargo - Consumer Reports

WE0H likes this.
  12. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe it's the (expensive) factory carpet mats?
    I had that same sticker on my 2012 Five.
    I have that same sticker on my 2012 PIP.
    The common denominator- both cars came with the overpriced/heavy factory carpet mats.

WE0H likes this.
  13. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That rear mat sure is heavy, but I expect it to last forever :)

Mike