1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Deep trouble - Prius 2005

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JohnPrius3005, Feb 4, 2021.

1. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Greeting Oh Wise Prius Ones.

I have 4 Priuses - 2014 (fine), 2008, 2004, 2005. All are subject to a great deal of abuse. The 2014 and 2004 are kept in California. The 2008 and 2005 are kept in Kauai, in a VERY rainy area, mostly outside. Needless to say all the earlier models have a number of issues. I have a Techstream knock-off so I can read fault codes, and there are quite a few.

For a few months the Kauai cars would reluctantly start, after disconnecting and reconnecting the 12V battery. The ICE would keep running, the main battery would charge and I could use them.

Now the 2005 will not start. I have charged the 12V battery, and jumped the battery terminals with another known good battery. All the expected dash lights come on, and eventually if I hold the Power button long enough, various relays "click", and the Ready light flickers on, but goes out immediately without the ICE starting. The MFD shows 2 or 3 bars left in the charge of the Main battery.

I'm sure there is corrosion everywhere but would welcome any insights from those smarter than me.

I'd also like to know if there is a way to "jump" the Main battery from the Main battery in the 2008.

Obviously I would prefer to not swap Main batteries between the 2 cars, but I will if I have to.

There is absolutely no practical or economically feasible way for me to take these cars to the on island Toyota dealer, so whatever fix I do will be my own "shade tree, DIY work", hopefully with some guidance from those of you on here with more experience.

Thanks in advance.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Are there any OBD2 codes (DTCs) worth sharing?

3. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to clean the connections on the 12v battery, and or possibly replace the 12v.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you own a good voltmeter? Get the 12 volt circuit working good first and stop jumping it.

list the codes dude.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, that's just teasing us.

6. chronon

chronon Active Member

here and there aint be in frozen wasteland no mo..
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    yeah plug that techstream in and post the 'quite a few' codes right here -- otherwise we are throwing rocks in the dark ...

7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Take a screen shot of all those codes and post it, otherwise all I can say for sure is that the problem is somewhere between the front and back bumpers

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

chronon likes this.
  8. JohnPrius3005

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi SFO and others asking about codes: Thanks for the welcome . I appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

These are the codes I read from the 2008 (which now starts, but requires that I disconnect and reconnect the 12V bat each time. The ICE engine runs without shutting off, no matter how far I drive. I would be happy to get the 2005 in the same status. I had planned on replacing parts as necessary to clear all these codes, but presently just getting the 2005 started is my priority.

HV Bat:
    *PO AFA - Hybrid battery system voltage low
    *PO ACO - Hybrid battery current sensor circuit

above both current and in history

PO AF7 - Hybrid battery pack detector pending
    P3012 - Battery block 2 becomes weak
    P3013 - Battery block 3

Power Source Control:
    No diagnostic codes

Hybrid Controls:
    *PO AID - Hybrid powertrain control module

*P3000 - Battery control system (shown both in current and history)

Engine and ECT:
    No diagnostic codes

ABS/VSC/Traction:
    C1259 - HV system regeneration malfunction
    *C1300 - ABS ECU malfunction
    *C1310 - Hybrid system malfunction
    (the above 3 all current)

Transmission Control:
    No diagnostic codes

Cruise control:
    No diagnostic codes

I'm pretty confident that these all indicate some significant problems with the various systems in this 2008, but because these are old cars I can live with them running like this for a while - which is why I hesitated to post these codes. Thanks again.

9. JohnPrius3005

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Aaron, Yes I thoroughly cleaned the connections and have a known good battery. And other known good, well charged batteries I have tried attaching. Whatever battery I use makes no difference.

Thanks edthefox5, I have a good voltmeter. 12V circuit appears ok.

Thanks ChapmanF, Appreciate the focus on codes. I'll do that with the 2005 asap.

Thanks chronon, I'll post codes from the 2005 asap. I much appreciate that I received so many replies. It's highly motivating ;-)

Thanks mr_guy_mann, You're right. Thanks for the reply. I'll get on this asap. Much appreciate the response.

#9 JohnPrius3005, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2021
  10. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First the 2008, that HV battery is failing fast. Best to plan accordingly. There are options, what is your budget and DIY attitude like?

Now the 2005, double check that you're getting the full 12v to the jump points under the front hood.

Is it possible that you've run down the HV battery on the 2005 by trying to start it too many times?

If you disconnect the 12v, the HV battery SOC will jump from low to default (4 bars?). But you don't really have 4 bars to play with.

If you find another working HV battery and the one in the 2005 ends up being fine, then you can use it in the 2008 which has failed.

Since its only you and your tools, best to dive into that battery or find a working replacement (that 2008 is barely working at this point). Start by looking for water leaks in the back of the 2005, then check the HV battery ECU (drivers side of the HV battery) and the associated connectors for corrosion. You could also take off the main cover to the HV battery and see what is what, likely more corrosion if the pack is a virgin. Be sure to clean up the HV battery fan while everything is apart, unless already clean.

If everything looks good, and the HV battery isn't charged enough to turn over the engine, then you might get by with cleaning the bus bars, installing a new voltage sense harness ($60+) and using a $30 LED power supply to charge up the existing HV battery.

11. JohnPrius3005

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi SFO,

Thanks a million. A lot of excellent insights.

Yes, as issues started arising with the 2008 I knew from my California 2004 Prius that the fixes were not going to be easy, so planning accordingly involved buying a Honda Civic from an owner who had the wherewithal and incentive to have kept up with all maintenance. Well, the starter on the Honda died and got me a lot of attention from airport security, and I bought the tools to do what one youTuber describes as the hardest job he's ever done on a car! hahaha

But your point is well taken, thanks. My budget is fine - I'm ok buying tools and parts if they'll get the job done and make sense. The car(s) are of limited value for sure so I'm unlikely to throw a $3500 HV battery at one. My DIY persistence exceeds my knowledge and abilities, but I don't give up easily so more likely I will learn about these HV batteries and what it takes to get more life out of them. Clearly looking for a local good battery from an otherwise totaled car is a good idea.

The 2005:

I will post all current codes below in my posting following this one.

When powering up the 12V system I attach a known good, fully charged 12V battery to the positive terminal of the installed 12V battery, disconnect the negative terminal of the installed battery from the battery, and attach the ground strap to the new battery. I have not checked the voltage at the front jump points, but I will. Thanks for that. I'm confident however that I'm getting good 12V+ power to the car, just as if I had an almost new 12V battery installed.

It is very possible I have run the HV battery down as you suggest, and it's also possible that when I did previously drive the car the HV battery was only partially charging.

Jumping (!!) right to your suggestion of a $30 LED power supply. I like that idea a LOT. I'll get right on getting one of those. Any specs or suggestions very welcome - charging voltage, (even a link to one), etc. Thanks. I was hoping there was a way to charge the HV battery other than trying to charge it off the other car!

Looking at the HV bars today it looks like there are barely 2.

Yeah, you get it! It's just me and my tools - and a lot of very, very valuable help from highly knowledgeable people like you!

This is Kauai north shore. It rains every day. Both cars have leaks into the back, and had them before I got them. No way to sugar coat this!

Now you're getting to the details I hoped for - HV battery ECU and location! Thank you. Yes, there will be corrosion. Keeping a car here is a little like taking your Dell laptop out on top of your windsurfer in San Francisco Bay, and then leaving it on the beach in salt spray, and then trying to boot it up~! My guess is that once I get access to the HV bat ECU and the HV bat, I'll be taking them out to clean them up fully.

Yes, I'll clean the bus bars, and see how the voltage sense harness looks. For sure I'd be interested to know how to most simply charge the HV batteries (of both cars) with the LED power supply. That won't solve all the problems for sure, but having an immobile vehicle here compounds any problems. Again, thank you so much.

12. JohnPrius3005

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    These are the codes from my 2008 Prius which I read off TechStream. If PriusChat permits me to I will attach the printouts also.

I checked all systems with 12V battery power selected on. The car will not start so the ICE engine was not running and the Ready light did not come on. I have not listed the systems which DTC codes showed as "none". I ran the checks twice, and noted which showed addition codes on the second check.

Hybrid Control:
    P3000 - battery control system

HV Battery:
    P3030 - disconnection between battery and ECU
    On 2nd check also:
    POA7F - Hybrid battery pack deteriorating

ABS/VSC/TRAC:
    calls for car to be idling - unable to start, so no idling possible
    C1241 - low battery positive voltage or abnormal high battery positive voltage
    C1242 - open circuit in IG1/IG2 power source circuit
    C1259 - HV system regenerative malfunction
    C1300 - ABS ECU malfunction
    C1310 - HV system malfunction
    C1377 - capacitor

Air Conditioner:
    B1421 - solar sensor circuit
    B1423 - open in pressure sensor circuit/abnormal refrigerant pressure

Gateway:
    B1248 - AVC-LAN communication impossible (in history only)
    B1260 - transmission control ECU communication stop (in history only)
    B1271 - combination meter ECU (in current and history)
    on second check all 3 were only in history

I did the following when checking the codes:
    Left the 12V battery disconnected overnight
    Connected a good, known fully charged 12V battery
    plugged in the TechStream OBDII plug
    with foot on the brake selected Power on
    For the first check there was no driver's display of any sort
    I conducted all the TechStream checks
    Again with foot on the brake I pushed and held Power on
    At this time the driver's displays returned to normal
    But still no Ready light
    After completing the second round of checks I again pushed and held the Power on button
    The Ready light goes on and off on a cycle with "turn signal - like" double clicks from the back of the car

I cleared all DTC codes with TechStream.
    This made no difference as far as being able to start the car.

There you have it, oh wise ones! Thanks for reading all this.

Attached Files:

13. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You mentioned 2008, but was this the 2005 ??

Some of the DTCs have associated INFs or sub codes (aka detailed code), do you know how to find these within techstream?

Check for corrosion on that HV battery ECU, and the male/female cable connectors. Here is the workup for DTC P3030 : https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0%E6%99%AE%E7%91%9E%E6%96%AF%E5%8E%9F%E5%8E%82%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8Cpdf%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F/repair%20manual/04pruisr/05/20zmw/cip3030b.pdf

Then focus on the combination meter. Prior to the latest round, have you had issues with the combination meter going black, or was the vehicle ever been difficult to start/ready or turn off?

Given the DTC B1271, and assuming the combination meter hasn't been repaired/replaced before, this will likely need a DIY fix or buy a replacement with the ODO fix and a lifetime warranty at : Prius Speedometer Replacement

Here is the workup for DTC B1271 : https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0%E6%99%AE%E7%91%9E%E6%96%AF%E5%8E%9F%E5%8E%82%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8Cpdf%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F/repair%20manual/04pruisr/05/21acw/cib1271.pdf
    Missed that, did you mean they are barely corroded?
    Have personally used the Prolong gear from Prolong Battery Systems | Hybrid Automotive California, USA

Never used a LED power supply, but try these links :

https://priuschat.com/threads/diy-harness-for-diy-charger-discharger.222559

DIY Grid Reconditioning Charger | PriusChat

https://www.meanwell-web.com/content/files/pdfs/productPdfs/MW/HLG-80H-C/HLG-80H-C350AB.pdf

The voltages on these may be a bit high :

https://www.meanwell-web.com/en-gb/ac-dc-single-output-led-driver-constant-current-cc-lpc--100--350

HLG-185H-C-MEAN WELL Switching Power Supply Manufacturer

Another option is a used Electrophoresis power supply (min. 250VDC - 350mA) for around the same cost. Example: EC-570

Let us know what you end up using, and any progress made.

14. JohnPrius3005

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi SFO,

Thank you SO much. Your help is worth it's weight in gold. While I was waiting for any replies I started reading up on combination meter fixes on Gen 2 Priuses on PriusChat. I also noticed that there is a very long thread on HV battery maintenance. My thanks again to you for not simply telling me to read that!

Yes, my mistake, these codes are from the 2005.

No, I don't know how to find the INFs or sub codes. I'll try to dig around with Techstream hooked up again asap. And I'd welcome of course any insight.

Yes, to both. The combination meter/ turn off/on/ready is problematic on all my Priuses, except the 2014 ;-) And, because "a man's gotta know his limitations" I can probably remove the combination meter without breaking too much plastic but definitely do not have the skills, tools, or experience to work on circuit boards myself, so I'll get replacements.

Regarding the "HV bat bars" I meant the level of charge shown on the MFD is barely 2 bars. I haven't opened up the battery yet to view corrosion.

Thanks for all the links. Really, really helpful.

I hope I can reciprocate in some way, some time.

I'll keep you posted on what I find.

I did get my junk farm/dump run truck - 2000 Ford Ranger - to start - by hot wiring the starter solenoid power terminal to a heavy wire I touch on the positive battery terminal. The corrosion on vehicles unavoidably left outside in this climate has to be seen to be believed!

Have a great weekend

John

PS Eventually I'll get better using this chat board and learn how to quote the specific question to which I'm responding ;-)

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  15. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Notice how some DTCs will have a small cloud / flower / snow flake, click on that to pull up the 'freeze frame' data.

[​IMG]

Detail Code, INF, secondary code, sub code... all the same.

[​IMG]

#15 SFO, Feb 14, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  16. JohnPrius3005

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

Got it, thanks a million.

jp

17. chronon

chronon Active Member

here and there aint be in frozen wasteland no mo..
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

Aside from a volt test on the battery u can do a load test .. it's an SLA battery so it's not gonna behave like a 'starting battery' with swiss cheese style plates for high current draw for a starter motor ...

so you would do a 'slow load test' --- autozone may look at you funny because they are not usually used to hybrid auxilliary batteries ..

maybe the Dr. Prius app has something regarding the 12v battery testing .. which should be simpler than the hybrid bat which it does 'load tests' on to determine ~ traction battery life equivalence .

18. JohnPrius3005

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi chronom, I much appreciate your insight. At this point I have a number of 12V batteries available to me, which I use as required. These are fully charged with bench chargers, so I'm confident that I have at very least an adequate 12V battery in place to power up the various circuits and processors at start up. Undoubtedly the 12V system(s) on my Prii have issues and if/when I get the HV batteries issues resolved I'll look into these more deeply. Thanks again.

19. JohnPrius3005

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I finally got a couple of Meanwell power supplies delivered to me here in third world Kauai ;-)

They look like well made units. I have not yet torn my Prius battery apart to investigate further, but in the interests of being prepared can anyone who has used these Meanwell units tell me how they attached them the the Prius HV battery?

Thanks

John

20. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are likely plenty of videos out there in the wild, but I like this write up with pictures :

2004 – 2009 Toyota Prius Plug-and-Play Car Harness Installation Instructions | Hybrid Automotive

Skip steps 15 though 17, and pay attention to steps 22 and 23. Also take notice of the larger white connector in step 22, just above the red circle, take it apart and check both sides for corrosion (likely) as this is a known issue. If you need a corroded picture let us know.

Don't forget to power the 12v fan, or find another cooling solution for the HV battery.