1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Deer Ate My 2010 Prius- replace underhood fusebox?????

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by joeslawn, Jan 9, 2020.

1. joeslawn

joeslawn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Deer ate my 2010 Prius with 219K miles on it
    Just paid $4000 with 211K on it in October.
    No insurance

Trying to get $1000 for it for parts
    online offered me $600
    Haven't called around to local yards yet

Exploring fixing it, hood, bumper cover, driver's fender all smashed
    biggest issue is engine compartment fuse box smashed to bits
    Inverter radiator smashed and lost all it's coolant, drove it 2 miles home and parked it.

Car still runs and drives, every light on dash is lit up now though

Radiator support frame is twisted up will need replacing and driver's side sub frame will need straitening. Very minor repair in that area.

3 spot welds for radiator support bars and rest of it is bolt on parts.

Anybody know how hard it is to do the RIGHT job on replacing the fuse box?

As in- replace the fuse box, track down all the wiring to the connections and swap out the whole harness????

I think it's more of a job than I want to do and would take me a good 8 hours for disassembly and another 8 hours for reassembly. That's $400 at my business rate and can save up $4000 to buy another car pretty quick.

Thanks for any input.

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Toyota’s Repair Manual (more info) series doesn’t include procedures for replacing an entire wire harness or major electrical distribution components, such as the Engine Room Relay Block, nor are there labor times for those tasks in the Flat Rate Manual.

The Electrical Wiring Diagram shows the connections and internal wiring of the Engine Room R/B (Engine Room J/B), so there shouldn’t be much detective work. Most of the connections come from one harness, the Engine Room Main Wire. (Toyota sometimes writes “wire” when they mean “wire harness.”)

If the block is destroyed, what’s the condition of the connectors? If there aren’t too many damaged or broken wires, perhaps you could extract the remaining terminals with the wires still attached and put them into new housings, splice on repair wires for the others, and then install a new block. The Wire Harness Repair Manual (PDF) describes the procedures for working with connectors and repair wires.

Several of the connector housings appear to be available as service parts. They’re not all listed in the EWD until later years, however:

1A 90980-12485
    1B 90980-12486
    1C 90980-10995
    1D 90980-12796
    1G 90980-12561
    1H 90980-11527

Parts catalog references: Figure 82-02, Wiring & Clamp; Figure 84-01, Switch & Relay & Computer.

3. joeslawn

joeslawn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you very much for your info!!!

The casing of the fuse box is smashed, however, most if not all of the connections inside should still be intact. Maybe a couple on the outside are broken but I doubt that it's much at all. I haven't explored taking the connections out of the fuse box and just replacing the exterior box.

Very interesting that Toyota doesn't even list a time or cost for working on these parts.

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great, not listed then it’s on the house (y)