1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DEFEATING ICE OPERATION

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Andyprius1, Aug 18, 2013.

1. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This observation could be evaluated if there was some way to measure the amount of gasoline saved by taking the load off the engine vs leaving it in a drive mode until it reaches 130°F and turns itself off. So it'd be interesting to follow up on this observation with some data. Not sure what metric to use, though.

2. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Well obviously the goal is to not have the ICE run at all. But I believe the consensus was that when the engine runs at lower temps it produces more condensation but it eliminates this by the time it warms up properly (burns it off at higher temps). I am definitely no expert on this, just regurgitating what I've heard others say. But it seems to be fairly logical.

3. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Again, just regurgitating here, not sure where I read it. I believe the engine does the same warmup cycle regardless whether you are moving or not. It simply uses the traction battery to move you during the warmup.

4. Ken Blake

Ken Blake Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    People were reporting clanking noises from the ICE the next time it started when it was shut down before it was completely warmed up. I believe there was even a Toyota TSB referenced. I will try to dig up the threads when I have a little time.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  5. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Has anybody else actually tried what I suggested to attempt to form some type of favorable or unfavorable consensus on MPG. Forget all these useless discussions. Basically we have little control over whether the ICE runs or not, BUT, remember that you are shutting off the ICE, IF you, touch the brake pedal, stop at a light, stop at a stop sign, put the car in neutral. ( with EV option still available )The driver has very little control over when and if the ICE runs, ( after warm-up ) anything the driver does during warmup has little to no effect. Condesation is minimal in a Prius as the temperatures it reaches are the lowest of any other car in the market. It is difficult to impossible to burn your hand.

6. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    . Good

7. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    . The stop/Go system dictates that when you are stopped, the engine is OFF.

8. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I've never heard a clanking noise when the ICE starts. Usually I can't even tell when it starts until a while later. Then I realize...yep 124 miles since the last time it ran. Or, oops, I accelerated hard to pass that car.

Mike

Andyprius1 likes this.
  9. Ken Blake

Ken Blake Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  10. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Seems a bit anedotal for me. But maybe there is something to it for people who just washed their cars, thus getting lots of moisture near it and/or people in colder climates. But even so...is it doing any damage? Or it is just adding a tad to normal wear and tear?

Mike

Andyprius1 likes this.
  11. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Never experienced this myself. Exactly why somebody wants to waste gas to warm up the engine, on a car that is known for great economy, is beyond me. If I lived in a cold climate I would deliberately start out in HV and drive briskly to warm up naturally. Later returning to EV. BUT, unfortunately I do not live in a cold climate anymore. I think the whole thing is a anomaly and he should have gone straight to the dealer.

12. Ken Blake

Ken Blake Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you read farther down the thread, multiple owners were reporting engine knocking the next start after prematurely shutting down the ICE.

13. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I guess the question is: What does Toyota say about this?

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    replacement intake manifold.

15. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Lets see...

The warmup cycle costs about 10 cents in gas.

This is a wild ballpark, but say the worst happened and you had to get a new ICE out of warranty...what would that cost...maybe $5,000?

So in other words....if you think there is less than a .002% chance that shutting off the ICE prematurely is 100% bad for the car...than by all means, make that bet.

As for me, I'll just spend the dime.

Ken Blake likes this.
  16. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Everything in the world is not devided into categories of good and bad, these are only humankinds perceptions. As for interrupting the warmup cycle, there is no such thing. Whenever the option is Hv, the computers will run the engine. One would have to be very determined to never allow the engine to run. Toyota designed the Car so the engine must run every 125 miles anyway, that is actually a very broad cycle, I doubt anybody goes that far without the engine running. Let us know if you can do that. The purpose of my experiment was not dictated by $/cents but only to maximize consumption bars. I believe what I accomplished was a anomaly anyway.

17. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I, myself, as well as lots of other people on this forum have gone the 124 miles in between times the ICE must come on. Not bragging, just letting you know since that's what you wanted me to do. :)

Andyprius1 likes this.
  18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The warmup cycle stops when the Cat temp reaches certain (i recall 400 F) degree -- normal operating temp. The purpose is to prepare for hard acceleration with ICE.

I don't think it hurts the ICE if I shut it off before Cat temp is reached. I also don't pull over and reboot the car. If I arrive in my garage and PiP is warming up, I turn it off instead of waiting.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  19. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you more than 99.998% sure it does no harm? ;)

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am not sure. It was my conjecture based on a SAE paper Toyota published on PiP. If it is harmful, I think Toyota would have some measure to prevent it.