1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Defect or "External Influence" with Melted Plastic

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by chowyungfatso, Jan 23, 2013.

1. chowyungfatso

chowyungfatso Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a friend who has a 2011 Prius that she's owned for about a year (bought new). About the middle-late last year (I know, she waited a while), she noticed some warping and serious rippling on a couple of places of her car.

I enclose a picture of the location of the warped plastic. We've taking it to the dealer, and they need an official Toyota representative to come and look at it. However, the service manager is implying that the car was parked near some "radiant" heat source or "someone took a heat gun to it".

Wth???

Has anyone seen or heard of this? These rest of the car is fine, and no other parts we can find are warped or defective like this. Also, according to the first picture, the location of the defects are so far apart, it would be hard to figure out what kind of "radiant" heat source could have possibly done this with such localized results.

Any help?

Screen Shot 2013-01-23 at 7.15.01 PM.png Screen Shot 2013-01-23 at 7.16.53 PM.png Screen Shot 2013-01-23 at 7.17.06 PM.png

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is seriously weird. Never seen or heard of that problem before on any car, foreign or domestic.

3. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I can understand how the service manager formed that conclusion. It looks like it was parked next to a fire or, perhaps, a radiant heater. I once had a plastic bumper cover damaged by a car having a ruptured radiator that sprayed out hot coolant. Is all of the damage on the same side of her car?

4. chowyungfatso

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, the damage is on the same side, but look at their locations. They are several feet away from each other, and at different heights.

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does the car get parked where the sun reflects off of high efficiency thermal pane windows onto the car? I know people in my area that have had partial melting of garbage cans from the reflections.

That's a long shot, when that happens the damage is usually in a longer horizontal line from the reflected image moving as the sun moves.

Blu-ray likes this.
  6. chowyungfatso

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm looking again at the pictures, could the rippled portion have come from someone kicking the sideboard?

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not likely.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A long-ago coworker with a different brand car received a hole in her plastic bumper from the exhaust of an idling SUV or pickup parked much too close. But it did not look similar to this.

9. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what I thought. Didn't the LA concert hall have to be modified due to similar issues: USATODAY.com - New L.A. concert hall raises temperatures of neighbors

10. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  11. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  12. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OP doesn't say where in Calif. car is driven? Having a dark car in the desert might be a contributing factor, but obviously is not the complete story.

Regarding reflection from low-emissivity glazing, my partially open casement window reflected enough radiation to distort my vinyl siding -- and I'm in NJ.

13. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I certainly wouldn't rule out vandalism. The damage is so localized that it is very suspicious indeed. A natural occurring anomaly or a heat proximity event would have most likely caused some sort of paint blistering in the surrounding areas.

14. chowyungfatso

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Haven't ruled out vandalism. Though I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what someone could have done to do that type of damage. If the Toyota service manager is to be believed, then people are walking around with a heat gun or hair dryer--or maybe some diffused laser device?

re: Windows. According to my friend, she doesn't remember where she parked all the time, but it was mainly residential (home or sister's apartment), neither of which has these types of windows.

15. phickson

phickson Tron Pod Occupier

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

16. phickson

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Excerpt from Wikipedia Prius Gen III:

"In constructing the Prius, Toyota used a new range of plant-derived ecological bioplastics, made out of cellulose derived from wood or grass instead of petroleum. The two principal crops used are kenaf and ramie. Kenaf is a member of the hibiscus family, a relative to cotton and okra; ramie, commonly known as China grass, is a member of the nettle family and one of the strongest natural fibres, with a density and absorbency comparable to flax. Toyota says this is a particularly timely breakthrough for plant-based eco-plastics because 2009 is the United Nations’ International Year of Natural Fibres, which spotlights kenaf and ramie among others."

17. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you know for a fact that bioplastic melts easier?

18. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It appears the two spots had a concentrated heat source very close to their locations, whether intentional or not. I agree with Toyota not covering under warranty. Was it parked next to a bonfire or heatlamp? LOL Figuring out what the source of the heat was may lead to who is ultimately responsible.

19. phickson

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No

20. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model: