1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Defroster buttons are backwards for me (photos)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cybele, Feb 26, 2004.

1. cybele

cybele New Member

I hadn't noticed it before, because I haven't really needed the defroster much until it started raining a lot this past week ... but the defroster buttons are out of order on the steering wheel (for me).

At first I was having trouble telling which one was which, and I thought that was just my own fault for not figuring it out. I like to use the buttons on the steering wheel and not the screen because they're easier to access and I don't like to lean forward while driving.

Then I noticed that the buttons on the steering wheel aren't in the same order as they are on the display on the dash and the climate control screen:

The Steering Wheel - showing rear (square) and then front (curved):
    [​IMG]

The Climate Control Screen - shows front (labeled and curved) and then back (labeled and square):
    [​IMG]

The Dash - shows front (curved) and then back (square):
    [​IMG]

I know it's not a big deal, but I think this helps me to understand why I was having trouble knowing which was which. I know that the buttons must go clockwise on the steering wheel, but because the little pictogram of the car is just above the buttons, I assumed for a while that they matched up with the front and back of the car, as they were kind of under them.

I recognize that this may be only be my misunderstanding. I'm left-handed and often get things backwards as a result. I was kind of curious to know if anyone else had this trouble.

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Cyeble, when did you get that new holographic dash option?? :lol:

Good pics, by the way.

3. rockluvr

rockluvr New Member

I also found it confusing at first - not real intuitive. I'm used to it now.

4. joleta

joleta Junior Member

I haven't had to use the defroster yet, as I've only had my 04 for one day, but it's driving me crazy that I have to move the joystick upward to put it in reverse, and down to put it into drive. Does this mess with anyone else's mind?

Barbara

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I can never figure out the defrost buttons on the steering wheel. There really is no positional clue because they are at an angle to each other. I wish they'd say F and R. But then European cars would have to be different.

The transaxle joystick does not bother me: the positions correspond exactly to the display next to the speedometer.

6. rockluvr

rockluvr New Member

The positions of the joystick seemed odd to me at first also. I felt the same way that D and R should have been reversed, but now it is Ok. Just something else that you get used to - hint use the visual on the dashboard viewer as your guide instead of looking down at the shifter - somehow I find that is it easier that way.

7. Astroprius

Astroprius New Member

I think I've figured out the covention Toyota uses for the steering controls: Up (temperature, volume, front defroster) are all on raised bumps; Down (temp, volume, rear defroster) are all on buttons with the depression (crater?).

It would have been nice to have this scheme also on the track/station controls.

8. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not that I have one, but yes, when I first saw the pictures I thought it was really odd as I mentally rotated it to an "on the floor" manual and every one I have ever driven had 1st keft and up and reverse right and back.
    I posted on Yahoo and got these 2 type of responses:
    1) Mentally rotate it to the ceiling, then forward is drive and backward is reverse and all is fine with the world again :)
    2) Many cars ( racers I gather ) have manual transmissions with reverse being left and forward, 1st gear left and back. So it is a matter of one's prior experience.

9. cybele

cybele New Member

That's a very helpful observation. It helps to have some clue as to the "code" for these things.

Thanks!

10. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This is for blind drivers?

11. Astroprius

Astroprius New Member

I think the voice recognition is to accommodate the blind drivers. :wink:

12. Fredo

Fredo Junior Member

I don't know about driving, but last I heard, Wisconsin lets blind people go deer hunting! :mrgreen:

13. kmbell

kmbell New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I know it seems like humor about the "blind" drivers, but this is in fact one of the primary reasons I bought the car. I'm not blind, but I don't see 20/20 and those little icons are impossible for me to see while driving. I have the whole steering wheel figured out by touch and there are lots of clues like the bumps, depressions, raised dots, and shapes that help. I primarily wanted a car with a navigation system (not necessarily voice activated, but at least a "talking" NAV) because I can't read street signs until I'm in the intersection. In the past, I had to call up the place I wanted to go to and ask for landmarks around the important turns, etc. Now I can plug in the address and just go there. If I do miss a turn - no problem as the NAV system just reroutes me. I know most people think that everyone on the road is 20/20, but it is not that hard to drive safely with 20/40 vision as long as you understand the limitations. And, in many states people can and do learn to drive with much worse vision than that and in fact may be considered "legally blind". Scary? It shouldn't be - they have sophisticated visual aids and require many months of specialized training. OK, I know that sounded like preaching, but I did not mean it to be -- just thought I'd share because I LOVE my Prius and it was the ONLY car that met my requirements in the price range I wanted.

Anyway, I recommend taking time to memorize the feel of the buttons and the confusion will go away (hopefully).

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    God help us!

15. Fredo

Fredo Junior Member

It's not really that bad. "Legally blind" in some states may be vsion corectable to 20/70 to 20/100. At that level, street signs building addresses will be difficult to read, but not hitting people or objects is very reasonable. It wuld be helpful to know landmarks, and would be much easier in areas well known to the driver. I hadn't thought about the NAV system, or the bumps and dots, being a help to the visually impaired, but it does make sense. And I'm sure the training is much more extensive that any I could think of.