1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Delay between pushing gas pedal and acceleration

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GoldenChariot, May 7, 2020.

1. GoldenChariot

GoldenChariot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2004 Prius with 184,000 miles. In the past few months it has started having a problem that has gotten increasingly worse. When I push down on the gas pedal, the car idles for about a full second before jolting into accelerating. Today, the car freaked out and a bunch of warning lights went off. I took it to the shop and they topped off the oil and sent me on my way. But the issue has not been fixed. The gap in time is still present, if not worse. Then when I put the car in park, the red triangle of death flashes once then disappears. Another thing I have noticed is that the car has generally been louder lately when sitting still or moving slowly. Times when it normally is very quiet, it sounds like the engine is working really hard.

I called the shop back and they said it's most likely the hybrid battery needs to be replaced. This sounds reasonable because of the car's age, but if there's anything else it could be, I'd like to try that first.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need a shop with a prius aware scanner to read the trouble codes.

try hybrid fix

3. GoldenChariot

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update: I disconnected then reconnected the 12v battery. Everything seems to be fine and normal now.

Graeme1949 and bisco like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done!(y)

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It might be advisable to clean the throttle body and also the MAF sensor. The disconnect the 12 V battery again after doing both those things so the ECM can relearn the idle throttle position.

Search Gen 2 forums using the Advanced Search options (click on the "More..." button on the search pop-up) or use Google to search using this string:
    Code:
    site:https://priuschat.com/forum/ Gen 2 MAF Cleaning
    I hope that helps.

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hybrid battery probably failing. Disconnecting the 12v made the computer forget that it should act like the battery is failing. It'll probably drive okay for a while and then do the same thing again. Lots of people limp it through a few loops like that for a while.

Can't be certain without a real diagnosis, but it's likely that you are on borrowed time to make plans for a replacement battery or a replacement car.

edthefox5 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That likely won't last long.
    You really need to get both batteries tested at a qualified shop.
    If the 12 V is over 5 years old, it should just be replaced.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a bit of a stretch, LJ, what you seem to be leaning toward is a ground isolation fault, which is not supported by the reported symptoms. I also don't see explicit signs of bad HV battery, so the OP should tread with caution. The best bit of your advice is to read the codes and then there will be more certainty of where to focus.

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I made no such specific inference, and this isn't the first time you've incorrectly read in more than I've written out.

I'm glad we can agree that a more thorough hands-on diagnosis should be the next step.

edthefox5 and bisco like this.
  10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What else could be the symptom disconnecting the 12 V battery help solve? Please enlighten.

11. GoldenChariot

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I ended up replacing both batteries which of course cost quite a bit of money. However, we are now almost 2.5 months in and the problem seems to have resurfaced. It appears to happen when I haven't driven the car for a few days and also if it is left parked in temperatures over 90. If the batteries are new, what could be the problem? I'll take it to another shop and hopefully they can solve it, but I'd rather not keep pouring money into this if it sounds like a lost cause.

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Leadfoot for the win.

13. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Was the new 12 V fully charged before being used ?
    Is the HV battery really "new" or is it an old one rebuilt or "refurbished" ??