1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Delayed Accelaration When Battery is Low.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bam801, Jun 20, 2017.

1. bam801

bam801 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello All,

I've had my prius for about 6 years and currently sit around 214,900 miles. Lately when I start driving after the car has been sitting in the garage or a parking spot, I have experienced delayed acceleration. To elaborate, when I step on the gas it will move very slow for about 3 seconds as if the electric motor tried to push first but then the gas motor kicks in and it moves. It's a noticeable delay that makes me concerned when making a left hand turns. It even feels like it stalls a bit after it's made the transition before coming back to full power. I've never had this issue before. Some factors I see around it, I live in AZ and it's about 115 degrees when this happens with the AC running, the battery is showing anywhere between 1 purple bar and up to 1 bar over half (starting towards the lower end upon startup). The engine is constantly running during this time and the battery fan as well. The HV battery was replaced back in April (around 212,000 miles) with a refurbished battery that the hybrid shop reconditioned before installation and I do have a warranty on it. The problem tends to go away quicker if I turn the AC off for a short period which leads me to believe the battery may have an issue. It doesn't do it all the time when the weather is better, but I've experienced several summers without this issue and religiously serviced the car since I bought it with 104k miles. Anybody have any idea what it could be or experience with this issue. It's more annoying than anything, but it becomes a safety issue when I need to move immediately.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This sounds like you have a failed HV battery, you should get the warranty service if you still have it.