1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Delayed transaxle oil change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 2005prius, Aug 30, 2019.

1. 2005prius

2005prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Has anyone experienced any problems after changing the transaxle fluid later than recommended?

I ask because I'm approaching 150K and I don't think it's ever been changed. Yes, that's a me problem. :(

I was told by one of my mechanics that sometimes transmission clutch disks fail after a delayed oil change because the dirt in the oil is holding everything together and the fresh oil will "clean" the grime that is allowing the friction on the clutch disks.

The transaxle works perfect, and I'm very light on the pedal. I drive the car for mileage, not to race to the next red light.:cool:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the prius tranny is unlike any other. there are no 'clutch discs' and fewer mechanics who have a clue about them.
    just change it and no worries!(y)

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Make sure your mechanic uses Toyota ATF WS fluid, from newly opened bottles, Toyota cautions strongly against using anything else, in the Owner's Manual. 4 quarts should do, and any Toyota dealership parts department should have it, or be able to get it. Up here it's $9.14 (CDN) per liter. Get replacement washers for the drain and fill bolts while you're at the dealership.

Proper level is achieve by filling with the car level, till it starts coming back out. A funnel with about 3 foot of hose extension (keep OD of hose to 5/8" max) is the simplest way to get the new fluid. Perhaps supply your mechanic with such a funnel, brand-new, to avoid contamination with other fluids.

There's a little info in the attached, just how to check level, and torque value (just for fill bolt, I would use that value for both fill and drain bolts, in lieu of Toyota spec). Gen 2 Repair Manual does not include a drain-and-fill instruction: hey, it's lifetime... :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2005prius and dig4dirt like this.
  4. 2005prius

2005prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring

I'm going to do it myself. Thanks for the info on the OD of the fill tube. I was planning on doing the change just as you outlined; great minds

5. 2005prius

2005prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Perfect, thanks for the info.

bisco likes this.