1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Delivered with one key FOB

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by 23-TJ, May 13, 2023.

1. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Remote Connect is $8/month after the trial period. Bundled with Drive Connect (Toyota Digital Navigation), it's $15/month.

2. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Hmmm... That's good to know.

3. jpm8766

jpm8766 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I haven't found a place where one can subscribe to only Remote Connect. Everywhere on the Toyota Connected Services website I can only find "Remote Connect is standard in all [$15/mo plans]." The PDF even has conflicting information saying that Drive Connect is $16/mo while the Connected Services website says $15/mo.

4. Numtini

Numtini Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    There's an updated version of the PDF which leaves out the $8 remote connect only option and includes the bundled options at the bottom.

5. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Latest Update:

bisco likes this.
  6. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Toyota Key Fob Program.jpg I've attached the chart referenced in the video. You can find the month your car was built at the top of the black label on the driver's door frame.

7. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Short short version:

Toyota doesn't seem to be changing the number of keys they are able to produce each month, but they're reallocating the production to favor the cars already produced versus the cars yet to be produced.

This means a shorter wait for people who have already bought a 1-key car, but that new Toyotas will continue to ship with 1-key for longer than they had originally been planning for.

If you're currently waiting for a 2nd key, you'll get it before the end of the year.

8. Argyros

Argyros Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The mechanical key doesn't allow driving, only opening the car, for some reason. I don't quite understand it; there's another mechanical key in the keyfob.

9. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The 2nd key is for the 2nd keyfob when you get it. Just as the keyfob will need to be programmed by a dealer, it also will not contain a mechanical key because it needs to be customized to fit the car. While you don't get a second keyfob at purchase because of the chip shortage, there was no shortage of mechanical key blanks, so a mechanical key was customized at that time and should be placed in the slot of the 2nd keyfob.

10. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Yay! Just got the app notification this morning! Now I have to wait until Tuesday to be able to call the dealer. I got the car in mid-August, so a bit under 4.5 months from purchase to keyfob. I appreciate all the posts on this thread for the information while waiting.

will

11. jeremnyc

jeremnyc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Picked up car in October and my second key notification popped on my Toyota app- already. Think they're catching up.

12. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Warning, slight rant:

<rant> (does anyone use this tag anymore?)

Finally went in to get my second keyfob this morning. Alas I am back home without the second keyfob or even a car! I was told 2 hours to get the second keyfob programmed! yea, sure! :) The shuttle wasn't back for 1.5 hours, so I just walked home. Not impressed. I figure the actual programming can't be more complicated than pairing our phones to be keyfobs, so 5 mins max for someone who doesn't even know what they are doing?

</rant>

Net-net, looking forward to going back to my independent Toyota mechanic. I've gotten my two "free" oil changes and maybe a tire rotation in there somewhere. I haven't dealt with a dealership in a while and after this, not terribly inclined to go back unless it is a recall or something. Admittedly the experience hasn't been terrible, just lucky that I've found a great local independent place.

will

13. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    ...and adding insult to injury, just got a call saying they ordered the wrong keyfob! I get to do this all over again in a few days.

will

MarkRussell likes this.
  14. Peter3232

Peter3232 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    So I guess this is still an issue (unfortunately). I’m due to pick up a 2024 Prius Prime SE next month and from what I’ve read in this thread and others, I should be prepared to receive 1 fob and second physical key that can’t actually start the car?

15. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    You should have received the 2nd physical key with the car. The only thing being provided is the key fob, which must be programmed at the dealership using both the car and your first key fob. If you can't find the 2nd physical key, the dealership can cut a new one from a blank, but you may need the key number plate that came with the car.

16. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    This is what I'm getting here in Ottawa too Peter. I have one keyfob and the key that will eventually go into the second keyfob when i pick up my car this week.

We'll just need to wait sadly.

17. Beach Dweller

Beach Dweller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I picked up my 2024 Prime XSE last week. Got 1 fob and two mechanical keys. Was told that “They will call me when the second fob comes in, and I’ll have to bring them the car and mechanical key so they can program the 2nd fob to the car.”

What a crock!!

bisco likes this.
  18. Award

Award New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Sorry to say you may be waiting a while. I purchased my 2023 on March 15 and still waiting on my 2nd fob. Was first told it would be August, then October and in December I finally received my letter to contact the dealer, me thinking it was in. Nope, that was for the dealer to place the order and they would call me when in. I was at the dealer for service yesterday, 1/29/24 checked on the fob and I have 70 people in front of me. Unreal!!!

bisco likes this.
  19. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    If you had installed and registered with the Toyota app, you probably would have received the notice much earlier. My Prius was built in March 2023, and I received the notification via the app near the end of November. Once I notified my dealer, it took only a few days for them to receive the fob and have me bring the car in to have it programmed.

20. JH26036

JH26036 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    You might want to call up a different dealer. I just got my key today, ~7 weeks into ownership. I could have gotten it honestly a month ago but just didn't have the time. I got the notice within 2 weeks of picking up the car.

I did not get the 2nd key fob from the same dealer I bought it from.