1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Democratic debate

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dragonfly, Apr 26, 2007.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Apr 27 2007, 12:41 PM) [snapback]431325[/snapback]</div>
    You beat me to it! Saddam was going to start selling oil for euros instead of dollars. I'd have described the result as a "decline" in the dollar, rather than a "crash," but that's nit-picking. The choice of currency used for buying and selling oil was a big issue for the people who decided to invade.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Apr 27 2007, 12:16 PM) [snapback]431309[/snapback]</div>
    If anybody is paying Berman to post, it's the democrats, because he makes the Republicans took so vile, with his distortions, lies, and racist tirades. No, I think it more likely he's acting on his own. It would surprise me, however, if he's the person he took his screen name from.

2. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Its interesting to see that the Democrat candidates, in their very first debate, did not impress anyone. In fact, even their 'target audience' here cannot think of enough things to say about them so they have to descend yet again into Bush bashing.

Think that's enough to win an election when Bush isn't running?

But back to the topic at hand:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 27 2007, 11:26 AM) [snapback]431315[/snapback]</div>
    Now I find that very interesting! You are usually a "pox on all their houses" type of guy when it comes to anyone in the major political parties. What is appealing about Obama for you?

I know why I like him (that's not an endorsement, as I wouldn't vote for him, but he's one of two candidates up there that wouldn't upset me that much if he won).

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Apr 27 2007, 08:46 PM) [snapback]431500[/snapback]</div>
    He's intelligent. It's that more than anything. But he impresses me as being more honest than your run-of-the-mill politician. Also, he's a bridge-builder. Rather than slamming the other side and calling them un-American, he looks for common ground and tries to work with his opposition.

Of course, for all those reasons, he doesn't have much of a chance.

P.S. I also like Kucinich.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Apr 27 2007, 10:46 PM) [snapback]431500[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think it's that so much as it's just so dang early. I've got my favorite (Obama) and want to hear what everyone has to say, but this "debate" was hardly more than an introduction of the candidates. The format didn't allow any back & forth (aka debate) at all, just 30-60 second sound bites pretty much spewing out what you'd expect anyone to say. It'll be no different for the first republican debate either. Don't alienate anyone, try not to sound stupid, look at the camera and try to act sincere.....

The rest will be sorted out by the media for us over the next 18 months or so

I agree with Daniel on Obama. I find him genuine...his background, self motivated education, intelligence, and clear spoken manner are encouraging. Forget that he's a democrat and listen to him speak on the issues...he rejects some democratic dogma in favor of seen the gray area and finding a way to find agreement. Yet on issues where he needs to make a stand he does so.

He's been very quiet on his gun control stance...in the past he's been pretty anti-gun, and that's my personal biggest negative on him. On all else I'm in near perfect agreement and I like the way he operates.

5. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 27 2007, 08:02 PM) [snapback]431506[/snapback]</div>
    We like Obama for the same reasons! He is attractive for those reasons, and he's one I wouldn't mind seeing as President. Kucinich is not in the same league, either in terms of personality, or his chances. He and Mike Gravel could form a mutual-admiration society though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 28 2007, 03:46 AM) [snapback]431610[/snapback]</div>
    When you read his keynote speech at the Democrat Convention, you get a sense that he wants to bridge differences and get things done, and even in that ultra partisan environment, where "appealing to the base" means throwing them some red meat, his speech is relatively moderate in tone.

He impresses me as a reasonable fellow, and he seems articulate. The pundits say he will have to put a bit more meat into his campaign soon.

What surprised me was John Edwards recent bump in the polls. The guy who helped lose the election to one of the weakest candidates in Republican history (and that's saying something), is now a not-so-distant third in the polls. Is it because its so early, and his wife's cancer has given him a boost just through name recognition? I just don't care for Edwards at all; he seems too slick by half, the epitome of the ambulance chasing trial lawyer who scored big, got a great haircut, and now wants to smooze all of us. He's the only one on the dias that I have that reaction to, so its more of visceral thing to me, and not at all "reasonable" and based on his policies. I'd shake his hand, but I'd have to go wash it right away.

I actually didn't see the debate, but have seen the clips from it. I'm surprised Bill Richardson didn't do better (in the opinion of the pundits, anyway). I've always liked him for the same reasons I like Obama.

6. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Apr 27 2007, 05:50 AM) [snapback]431061[/snapback]</div>
    There was that one interview were she stated that she has never been for the war and didn’t vote for it. if you look at her voting history not only did she vote to go to war but she also mad statement about our need to go to war.

I can remember I think it was on npr but that all I know. I am not even sure if her words were skewed or any of that just what I heard from a quick tidbit.
    I can see how something like that might cause a dip in the poles.

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Apr 28 2007, 01:37 PM) [snapback]431801[/snapback]</div>
    For some reason, I was under the impression that you were above resorting to juvenile denigration of the Democratic Party by deliberately using the phrase "Democrat Party" when referring to it. Its official name is the Democratic Party.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do think Edwards got a big boost due to the publicity of his wife's cancer stuff. But he "looks" presidential. Youngish but not too young. Handsome but not movie star. Clear simple evenly paced speaking style with a decent personality. He's going to appeal to the masses...the lesser informed voters that make judgements by the looks. Not everyone analyzes things like you and I....

But I agree, he makes me nervous. I suspect he'd be the guy in everyone's back pocket and would be a guy that could set our already screwed up legal system back another 10 years!

9. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Apr 28 2007, 02:16 PM) [snapback]431836[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm ... not intentional (or at least, not consciously intentional). I may have picked up that usage from somewhere ... in regular conversation, I refer to the conventions as the Democratic Convention and the party as the Democratic Party.