1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Denver to Sacramento (and Back)

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by coyote303, Aug 6, 2013.

1. coyote303

coyote303 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My goal was 50 MPG from Denver to Sacramento. However, I needed to be there by late afternoon on the second day, so my speeds needed to be reasonably fast. I started strong, but then headwinds in Nevada dropped me below 50 MPG. It didn’t look good except I forgot about coming down the Sierra Madres in California. From Donner Summit to my destination, 60 miles later, I averaged over 86 MPG! That brought the average of the entire trip up to 50.7.

The return journey started below par. After all, I had to go up those same mountains that helped me so much at the end of my outgoing trip. Then, those westerly winds in Nevada that killed me a few days earlier shifted about 135 degrees and got me again. Utah, I swear, is uphill all the way in both directions! But this time, it was strong tailwinds in Wyoming that put me over the top. It didn’t hurt also that I slowed down a bit on the second day. I had thought about driving straight through, but when I decided to stop for the night, speed was no longer so important. Anyway, I ended up with 51 MPG on the return trip.

A couple of lessons learned from this, my first long trip, with my new car:

1. Don’t use ECO mode for freeway driving, especially if you have any hills. When I finally turned it off, the car was much more responsive and so much more fun to drive. (I use ECO mode most of the time around town.)

2. Never buy gas in Salt Lake City (unless you’re very familiar with the city). Stations aren’t advertised nor are they visible from I-80. I also paid the highest price on my trip there.

3. Taking the shortcut Highway 287 from Ft. Collins CO to Laramie WY (and back) is a good idea. It took it on the way out, but I went the “faster” (but longer) way through Cheyenne on the way back and hit some nasty construction.

With the trip behind me, I’m looking forward to improved mileage again on my fill-ups!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a beautiful trip, great job on the mpg's!(y) donner pass just freaks me out.:eek:

coyote303 likes this.
  3. sisharp

sisharp Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I took the liberty of visualizing your trip for others to get a grasp of what that route looks like. Around where the arrow is, Google says you reached around 9000+ feet, if you look on the bottom of the first image you can see the max height and elevation gain and all that good stuff. But here are the stats if it is too small:

Elevation:

Min: 28 ft
    Average: 5477 ft
    Max: 9091 ft
    Total Gain: 54,200 ft
    Total Loss: 59,569 ft

Total 1 way miles: 1166

Max Up Hill Slope: 14.8%
    Max Down Hill Slope: 13.1%

Avg Up Hill Slope: 1.3%
    Avg Down Hill Slope: 1.4%

Keep in mind these are rough estimates since I manually traced the route path but they should be real close to actual.

Even more impressive you managed 50+ mpg with a route like this.

I may have messed up on the route since I am not sure which was the shortcut. This was the shortest Google says and I think it's through Cheyenne.(y)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

minkus, ChinchillaGirl and coyote303 like this.
  4. coyote303

coyote303 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    How fun! Thanks for doing this.

By the way, the shortcut consists of exiting I-25 at Ft. Collins, Colorado, and taking Highway 287 to Laramie, Wyoming. Otherwise (as you correctly diagrammed) the trip essentially consists of taking I-25 to I-80, turn left, and (1000 miles later) you're there!

ChinchillaGirl likes this.
  5. ChinchillaGirl

ChinchillaGirl OrcaCar

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think the Donner Party took that short cut and regretted it, but good for you!

ztanos likes this.