1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Deployed, recommendations for service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by theclarinetguy32, Mar 18, 2013.

1. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello,
    Hopefully a straightforward question:
    I am currently deployed overseas and have had my 07 prius sitting in my garage since early Jan. I do have a battery minder on it as my last deployment didn't go too well with the battery. In addition I do have the vehicle on blocks to relieve pressure on the tires. I most likely won't be returning to the states until late September or October.
    Can't quite remember the exact number, but I do recall my service indicator nagging me for a oil change which should be around 75k.
    Given the long sitting time, can anyone offer recommendations on what should be done for the 75k mark along with or interdependently of the long storage time.

Thanks
    Jeremy

2. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you are going to do it yourself I'd spend the $25 or so and change the v-ribbed belt about now. If you are going to pay someone else to do it I'd wait for the 85,000 to 100,000 mile area to have someone else do it as the belt isn't likely to be too distressed. It's not easy to visually inspect though so if you just want to be cautious no one would fault you for changing it a little early.

3. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    WHAT HE SAID.. MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU.
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!

4. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    after sitting that long you might also want to check the air in the tires and the battery voltage (just in case the battery tender didn't do it's job).

If humidity is an issue you might try driving up to 50mph or so put the car in neutral and hit the brakes evenly until you stop. This will engage the friction brakes and scrape the rust off.

Gotta go through the motions that way because in drive the prius avoids using the friction brakes as much as possible. Great for efficiency, not so good for dealing with humidity or low usage scenarios.