1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Deprogramming a single key fob Non-SKS?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Umar Farooq, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Umar Farooq

Umar Farooq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello All,

I have a question regarding possibly removing a keyfob from the car's ECU? The situation is that I ordered 3 key fobs from ebay for my Prius, and one of the fobs will not program to lock/unlock the doors with the chicken dance. The second one I tried worked perfectly. And the 3rd one was able to be programmed to lock/unlock the car, but it will not be programmed to start the car, as the car now has 5 key's stored in it's ECU.

I wanted to return the 2 keys that wont fully work with the car, and was wondering if there is any way to deprogram a specific key fob before I return it? I have looked into using Techstream and a mini vci cable, but will I be able to reprogram my existing remotes after I clear the ECU using the software?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you all.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I believe one of the available functions is "forget every registered fob except this one" (the one you're using to authenticate the function). Then, using that one for authentication, you re-register the ones you want to keep.

3. Umar Farooq

Umar Farooq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello,
    Thank you for your reply! I chose that option, and was able to get it done. The start function on all the remotes, except the master was reset. Also the unlock/lock function on all the remotes remained after the reset.

Thank You

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I remember right from the last time I programmed fobs on a Gen 2, there are in fact two different registration utilities involved; the functions for wireless lock/unlock and immobilizer are separate. If you want to unregister some of the fobs for lock/unlock, there is probably still an extra step.