1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Design Flaw for windshield

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Skip50, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Skip50

Skip50 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    We purchased a 2017 Prius 3 touring late December 2016 in the following 5 months we had 3 cracked windshields from rock chips that went immediately to a long crack. The last chip (in May 2017) was delayed for repair because there were 9 replacement windshields back ordered. I would guess there were more than 9 broken windshields since all suppliers in our area had no inventory. This is our 3rd prius and we had no problems with any of them. In every other way, the 2017 is a great car however, I am wondering if the windshield is now made with thinner glass or the new aerodynamics is creating a air channel to hit the windshield.
    Does anyone else have this same problem?
    Would a bug deflector create a different aerodynamic that would alleviate this problem?

2. robsnyder20

robsnyder20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have heard of many with cracked windshields but I have not had that issue myself at 18K so far (fingers crossed). On my last car (toyota matrix) I went thru 3 windshields, but that was with 12 years of use and 290K of miles

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the windshield is more upright than the last two generations.... could that be it?

wrprice likes this.
  4. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The new Prius is not just a redesign - but a completely new platform where re-use is minimal.
    The chassis is totally new - which means that there might be cases in which the windshield is under non predicted stresses that with a stone hit can cause quickly a crack. Moreover, I would expect an out of factory windshield replacement to be a perfectly placed as the original one.
    So only time will tell - either it is a design flaw of the chassis and the windshield mount that causes excessive stresses, or you are really unlucky with stones hitting your windshield...

RCO likes this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I mentioned in another thread that my wife had our 2017 in a hail storm near the edge of a tornado that blew the car sideways across a two lane road. She was surprised the windshield survived. When washing the car last weekend we noticed some small pits in the windshield and a few minor hail dents.
    Does the 2017 have a stronger windshield? That might explain why they were out of stock for a while.

6. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It might - I wouldn't be surprised if they made a new stronger but thinner design to save weight. Stronger to torsion and pressures from the chassis, not from stones chipping it...

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thank you, Skip50. I agree the car has an inferior windshield wrt cracking. Two weeks ago a rock hit mine and it shattered. I contacted Toyota, and posted on another windshield thread here at priuschat. Toyota agreed with me and helped cover the cost but I took a fair amount of ribbing here.

Ive owned 3 prius', been driving almost forty years and never had a windshield shatter. I think the wide tires on my four tourIng are kicking rocks up over the fender onto the hood. I heard a pebble hit the windshield today. Now I'm paranoid! It's my understanding the glass is a heat reflecting thin dual pane with poly laminate between, lightweight. i would like to know the specifics. Tideland Prius can you fill us in?

8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I remember reading that the Eco had a special heat reflecting windshield. Perhaps Eco and higher have this but my Trim Two has a stronger windshield without the heat reflecting quality.

'LectroFuel likes this.
  9. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    But what really sucks about the windshield cracking is the camera calibration. It takes a few hours for them to calibrate the camera after the windshield replacement.(n) I wish the dealer could replace the windshield and recalibrate the camera in one visit.

RCO likes this.
  10. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I was just thinking that. Do trims above the two eco have the UV resistant windshield? Maybe the 2016s had defective windshields.

11. Montana Prius Owner

Montana Prius Owner New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

12. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  13. joey185

joey185 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Mine just broke. First window I have ever broken. Toyota says it will be over a month because they are back ordered. They also mentioned the recalibration. :(

tucatz likes this.
  14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you trade in your 2012 PiP? You may need to update your profile.

davebernier and bisco like this.
  15. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    About a month ago while in Texas, My 2016 Prius was hit by a rock and made a small star. Less than 1/2 inch across. By the next day, three cracks appeared and within 24 hours had spread all the way across the windshield.

Took it to the dealer.It took a couple of weeks to get a replacement windshield in. They used safelite to install and the camera had to be reprogrammed. All toll took 2 days to complete.

It semms like there it undue pressure on the windshield that would make it crack that way.

16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wonder if either they improved the windshield for 2017 or the Trim Two has a less fragile design.
    I know they said the Eco had a heat blocking windshield. All the failed ones I have heard of so far appear to be 2016 Trim 3, 3T, 4, 4T. Perhaps they have this "improved" windshield material too :(

17. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    THREE cracked windshields on a 2017 model? In only 5 months? So now BOTH the '16 AND the '17 have windshield flaws? If true, Toyota sure went cheap!

I'm about ready to go back to driving a pickup truck!

"We purchased a 2017 Prius 3 touring late December 2016 in the following 5 months we had 3 cracked windshields from rock chips that went immediately to a long crack."

#17 CoastRider, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There may be some service bulletin, authorizing them to do gratis replacements. Maybe they're getting a lot of this?

I would think technically it's an insurance claim, the rock hitting the windshield, but seems like they are playing nice to placate?

19. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is really disappointing to keep reading about all these windshields/windscreens cracking. I mentioned this to the service advisor at the dealer, asked him if he's seen broken windshields on the 2016 Prius. "Not one", he replied. (Obviously, he doesn't read Prius Chat! :))

20. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't believe it's a "design flaw" at all. The Toyota engineers are too smart for that. They've been making the Prius for 18 years??? I just think it's a simple case of going CHEAP, using thinner and lighter glass in an attempt to to cut weight any way they could, and improve mpg. Cheap glass. Thats my opinion, and I'm sticking with it! :)

Feeling grumpy this morning... Where did I put that bottle of Jim Beam?!

Mendel Leisk likes this.