1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Desperately seeking roof rack for 2016 Prius (Four Touring)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by dpbsmith4, Apr 11, 2016.

1. basemulot

basemulot New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
  2. seedubxj

seedubxj New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey all, new here. About to order the OEM bars and was wondering if I'll be able to use standard Thule or Yakima bike mounts with them. Has anyone been able to do this successfully? TIA!

3. dpbsmith4

dpbsmith4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Just checking in. We called our Toyota dealer a few weeks ago, they were able to order them, got them in about 24 hours later, and installed them. Look fine. They do not lock, which is not too important to us; you are apparently relying on needing to have an unusual tool, which they supply, to get them off. Rather oddly, the housing on the rear bar does not quite follow the curve of the roof, although the front one does. It appears to be a purely cosmetic issue and we are just shrugging and accepting it.

Mambo Dave and RCO like this.
  4. Karen Owings

Karen Owings New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    IV

So, I just skipped through all of your frustrations and now I'm hoping I'm at the end and there IS a cargo rack available for the 2016 Prius? I'm so sorry you had to go thru all that pain.

RCO likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah there are now - Toyota OEM or Thule or Yakima.

RCO and wjtracy like this.
  6. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I trust you don't get any problems with getting one - and welcome to Prius Chat @Karen Owings (y)

7. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    My question as well - the OEM roof rack is a nice price, but what bike rack mounts fit to it, if any?

8. dpbsmith4

dpbsmith4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    This thread is now so out of date I am trying to figure out if I can delete it. I suggest that recent posters start new threads. The OEM racks cost about $500 or so, dealer-installed and are completely "ordinary" and accepted our cargo box with no problems. You end up with two fairly rigid horizontal bars, which should work with anything designed to attach to two fairly rigid horizontal bars. The reason for all the angst was that we bought the car in spring of 2016, planning to make an eight-week camping road trip in the summer. The roof rack became available in late 2016, too late for our trip. We ended up making the trip with a soft-sided roof bag (and less gear than we wanted to bring). All is well now. This thread is obsolete.

9. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Sorry, I try to stick to remaining threads when I can just to reduce clutter, and help people looking for info later on. I understand though.