1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Detailing a Prius engine compartment. How do you do yours?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dxta, Jun 9, 2019.

1. egn83b

egn83b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My prius runs like a top its been sprayed down about 10 times since i owned it from 2014 its never had an issue. My wiring harness is prestine and the car runs fine.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. egn83b

egn83b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Never had an issue with pressure washing ever on any car i have owned. You dont pressure wash a damaged harness but keeping the dirt off the harness will add years to your engine.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    upload_2019-6-10_13-9-26.png

Stevewoods likes this.
  4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    Good one.

Stevewoods likes this.
  5. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Uh, I "detailed" the engine in my old Datsun when I was about 20 years old. It never ran right again. Skip that idea.

6. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I guess we will all have to live with dirty engines...

Just clean the darn thing and be done with it.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Admittedly a low miles garage queen, and near-never on dirt roads, but build-date is just about 10 years back. I only use brushes and a vacuum, and/or a leaf blower, very occasionally. There's pipe insulation tubes pushed onto the crimped seams running down the sides (you can see on just above the engine coolant reservoir). Couple with the engine cover, I think it keeps the dust down some?

IMG_0634.JPG

exstudent and jb in NE like this.
  8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have posted numerous times.
    I lived down from one of those high pressure wash car wash places and I don't know how many countless times I'd see someone pressure washing their engine, then struggling to get it started because they knocked something loose.

IMO, with all the electronic components in todays modern engines, especially a Prius, I absolutely would not use a pressure washer, regardless of how many precautions are taken.

Here's how I handle it...and it's advice that I realize everyone can NOT take.

But I really think the key is PREVENTION.

In normal driving conditions, I think if you check your engine compartment, every 3-6 weeks, and then just wipe things off by hand with whatever cleaner you want.....I use...water....it keeps everything looking good.

Also, maybe I've lowered my standards just a little. I feel it's good to keep your engine compartment relatively clean BUT...I no longer feel I need to keep it brand new, show room clean. It's an engine compartment...I don't eat off it. So part of my answer, is I guess I've reached a point where I don't feel I need to "detail" my engine compartment. As long as most of the visible parts are clean or on the cleaner side, I'm happy.

Since I'm advocating PREVENTION, I know that doesn't help somebody who's engine compartment is already very, very dirty.

But my advice, really is get it clean...and then just keep it clean through routine checks, using the LEAST invasive method possible, which IMO is careful hand wiping down of visible surfaces. And the most pressure I use, is just a squirt bottle.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Learned to steam clean engines and engine bays as a mechanics helper at the diesel shop when I was teenager in highschool back in the 70's. Been doing all my vehicles (cars, trucks, motorcycles, lawn equipment) with cold pressure washers/car washes even since; just use some common sense around electronics, the air system, and very old vehicles.

TIP: starting sooner rather than later in keeping things clean will make the job MUCH easier and basically eliminate "major surgery". If you've waited too long or come into possession of a very dirty or leaky specimen, then high pressure and chemicals and lots of elbow grease+rags are needed. This was the case with my daughters used 12 year old suzuki sx4 that was very dirty/dusty (rural owner). Sorry no "pre" pics but here's the results.

IMG_3640.jpeg IMG_3641.jpeg IMG_3642.jpeg IMG_3643.jpeg

2015 OutBack with about the same amount of miles as the Suzuki but subjected to approx. once per year light pressure washes to stay ahead of the game. Lot less work and evasiveness in this method. It has never been detailed, just washed.

IMG_4693.jpeg

#29 fotomoto, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  10. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wao! This is interesting to know.
    Would pay more attention to the electronics, and air induction systems.

11. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Diesel engines in the '70s had little to NO electronics in the engine bay.
    There wasn't much to be hurt with water.
    Avoid the generator and air intake and you were pretty much good.

Dxta likes this.
  12. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    They still pressure wash them to this day at any Blue Beacon truck wash. And those trucks pull out of the wash bay and head on down the road.

13. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    By design, a diesel engine does not have an "ignition" system like gas engines.
    Thus there are a LOT fewer parts to be damaged by water.
    I suspect that any computer boards required to run the injection system are NOT located under the hood near the engine.

Whole different situation.

14. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    People wash engines of all kinds today, and with no problems. As evidenced by the pictures posted above by several members. A few basic precautions are all that is required. If you don't want to wash your engine, then don't.

Edit:

In many cases, right on the engine block itself. Cat engines all have them there, on the left side, away from the exhaust manifold.

#34 jb in NE, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    fotomoto likes this.
  15. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And some people try to wash them and DO have problems.......as evidenced by the observations of the guy who lives next to a car wash.
    And some of us who have done it and had problems (LONG time ago and it ran again after drying out for a few hours.)

And back to the original post:
    Judging from the pictures he posted, his engine and related equipment is way, WAY past doing anything remotely near to "detailing".
    Any attempt to make it look better might end up with it looking WORSE......never mind the question of "Will it run" or not.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use the mist spray using a spray handle I purchased at the local Pep Boys. Once a year I use the soap mist at the local do it yourself car wash. I don't "power spray" the compartment. I have done this with all my cars. Never a problem. Below is my 2006 Scion engine when I sold after driving it for 9 years!! And the additional photos is my 2015 Prius.

Attached Files:

jb in NE and Dxta like this.
  17. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    So.....my bottom line is:
    So now you have a shiny engine that looks almost like brand new.
    Who cares ????

Nobody ever sees it but you and your mechanic.

18. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The owner cares and that's the only person that matters in this equation. Not a lot different than keeping the rest of the car clean. If somebody chooses to have a filthy interior or car and they're OK with that, that is their decision. Same with the engine - cleaning it isn't mandatory. Many owners like clean engines because it makes spotting problems easier, makes working on the engine more pleasant, etc.

Dxta and Skibob like this.
  19. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My mechanic is me. And he appreciates it every time he works on it. The pic of the subaru was taken during its 100k mile maintenance he performed. I like his labor charge too (free!).

Montgomery, Skibob and jb in NE like this.
  20. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Ditto. And even if you are not your own mechanic, I think a mechanic who opens up a clean engine compartment recognizes that the owner is probably particular about the vehicle and may be more inclined to do a good job.

Same reason I keep the lawnmower, chain saw and other equipment clean.

#40 jb in NE, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019