1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Detailing Your Vehicle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tideland Prius, Sep 13, 2006.

1. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ...I'm curious what folks do after driving in the rain... assuming garage coverage at home/work, anyone towel-down the whole car after a thorough rainfall soaking? I'm talking when the car is dripping wet when you pull in, not say, caught in the rain while driving an hour ago, and now wind-dried and streaky when you get home. (And of course, this is assuming it isn't splattered with wet mud, or otherwise needing a true washing, etc., when you pull into the garage.)

I just washed mine 3 nights ago, and then got caught in a sudden downpour while out on errands at lunch today. Back in the office garage, I got out the chamois/drying cloth and wiped the whole car down... couldn't stand the thought of dried water spots all over, when my carwash wasn't 96 hours old just yet!

Of course, it will probably be sprinkling in time for the commute home in 90 minutes... ;) I'd probably towel it down again at home, if it is soaked. (I don't have a hose connection at either the home or office garage, so this towelling down would only really strike me when the car is essentially clean already, just very wet.)

2. meshell

meshell New Member

my husband and i are both getting new cars. we were looking into getting waterless washes for our cars. i have seen information on eco touch. has anyone had experience with this product, or any other waterless car product and how does it work? i mean, if your car is really dirty what do you do? are these products for those with just 'dusty' cars...?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah I've heard of it but they're rather expensive. What sounded the alarm was when I asked about wheels/tyres shine and the salesman said it'll do those too... and I'm like.. err they're usually silicone or oil-based and a waterless carwash doesn't make a tyre shiny (esp. when there's a separate tyre bottle right on the table too which he didn't see).

Anyway, if it's freshly waxed and not too dirty, swiffer the entire car and it'll come right off.

Otherwise, I (unfortunately) do it the conventional way with a bucket. I don't leave the water running and I try to wash the soap off with minimal water (i.e. let the water sheet down rather than just jet and have overspray).

4. Freightbusters@aol.com

[email protected] New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Never touched my car drying it....

I have used the wash and filtered water system by mr clean and it works...I began with it because of the hard water in Florida ..but I watch it dry without and I mean without spots!!!! :)

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can add Optimum No Rinse to the detailing garage. It's great for those in apartments/condos or people with water restrictions.

Coopers ST likes this.
  6. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Zaino here baby! smmmmoooth! :)

Rain runs off clean. The neighborhood cat also slid off trying to jump on the hood! went away unhappy!

7. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you can keep up on it, just pull it up in the drive way and let water run down the panels, roof, hood etc..then dry it good. You want to wash away any crude that was in the air/rain so it won't etch your paint bad if it is allowed to dry. I have 4 really bad waterspots that will not come off on my roof(black car) because of lazyness after it rained out here, and when our sun kicks in here in neveda it only takes 1 min to dry those puddles...and if left over night forget about it! Will need to buff sometime to remove it. Vinegar will get some water spot's off. Anyway just rinse the car, and dry it after it rains, or do a full wash..whatever you have time for.

keep a bottle of quick detailer in your car also, mothers brand or meguiars are easily found in most stores...this stuff is awesome on fairly clean paint, dont rub if it is really dusty though. This can remove water spot, etc right after it has encountered your car.

8. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got my Prius professionally detailed after 20 months. Looks really clean inside, almost like when it was new.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats! How much was it?

10. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh no! Don't ever use dishwashing soap on a car. It removes and strips wax, and also gets the finish too clean for the health of the car. There's a lot more to it, but I don't remember it off hand. Google it!

Coopers ST likes this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You use dishwashing soap only IF you want to remove the wax and start with a clean slate (or metal rather) and of course you have to wax the car after the wash. Also, avoid washing it with the soap regularly.

So far, I haven't had the nerves to use dishwashing liquid, leaving it to the claybar to remove some of the wax (it doesn't remove all I don't tihnk.. at least not my bar).

12. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, actually the article suggested using vinegar on a sponge, applying it to an area, waiting exactly one minute, and rinsing it off. That should remove all the wax, then you can use the clay bar (lubricated with a little bit of the regular polish.. I think) and then polish,... wax blah blah. haha I'm watching all the videos. They have been pretty excellent. (the Adams stuff.)

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh ok. Well as long as it doesn't etch into the paint =).

Yeah that's why I wanted to share the article. Very informative. That's how I got my Prius shiny (the photos are on the site somewhere after the claybar/S&G/wax)

14. KJR

KJR New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've got a 5 month old black Prius. It's been washed a couple of times in a car wash ( maybe a mistake ). I've washed it several times myself with a soft mitt, Turtle Was car wash in the bucket and the microfibre towels to dry off. I bought some Turtle Wax liquid clay and ICE liquid polish and did the whole car last weekend. It came out looking good but this morning I noticed curved scratches on the hood in the reflection from the garage light. I must have put those in washing the car. I've looked at the Adams videos and read some of the posts here but am I describing swirl marks. How do I remove them? Am I better off getting a Zaino or Adams starter set? Will one of there clay bars remove these marks or do I need a orbital polisher like what is shown in the Adams videos? Or is this the nature of a black finishe ( my first black car).

Thanks for any advice.

Kelvin

15. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    KJR,

In your case I would get the Zaino Z5 product which fills in swirl marks. Remember to use up and down motions on the vertical surfaces and forward and back motions on the horizontal surfaces due to light refraction tricks. No circular motions. Clay removes impurities in the clearcoat/paint, it does not address swirl marks.

1st - Use Dawn hand/dishwashing liquid, which is alkaline, to remove wax and contaminates. Water the car down prior to washing with Dawn. Rinse throughly. (Don't use Dawn on a regular basis).
    2nd - Claybar the vehicle using your favorite claybar. Zaino and Meguiar is okay, among others. Use plenty of wipe and shine, detail spray or even more soapy suds with the clay. Check the area with the back of your finger or even a woman's sheer stocking for anything left that needs more work.
    3rd - Supposed to wash the car again, but I don't, I wipe and shine as I go, no clay marks.
    4th - Don't use microfiber towels, they can scratch. Use 100% cotton white new towels (Canon, Feldspar, etc). No towels that have been washed with or dried with fabric softner.
    5th - Don't use an orbital polisher without the previous steps and I wouldn't use one without heaps of experience, I've seen the damage an inexperienced user can do.
    6th - Use either Zaino All-In-One or the Z2pro, Z6, ZFX system or the polish you prefer.
    The deal is: preparation of the surface is KEY. Light pressure, whether orbital or hand gives the best results.

The Zaino system is a bit confusing, their website says "You need this, and that, unless you add this or that, and don't forget this other stuff too" Whew, not even the questions and answers help much.
    I think I had to read it 3 times before I understood what I needed from Zaino.
    This weekend I will be applying Zaino for the first time.
    Wish me success.

ZC1

16. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $145 (interior and exterior). It is a lot of money, but the car really needed it. They shampooed the seats and all.

17. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    NONSENSE. Orbital polishers don't require any special skills and cannot harm your paint. Anyone can use one.

It's rotary polishers that require skill. Orbital polishers just wiggle a free-spinning pad in little circles (orbits). A rotary actually spins, and the velocity of the pad at the outer edge is fast enough and can get hot enough to burn paint right through to the bare metal if you don't know what you're doing. Those tiny little orbits made by an orbital polisher - there isn't enough velocity there to even break down a lot of polishes, let alone harm your paint.

Coopers ST likes this.
  18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  19. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I stand corrected!

I'd forgotten the name and had meant the rotary polisher.

Thanks for the heads up.

ZC1

20. KJR

KJR New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've read others on this site and others post that microfiber towels are the way to go. I use two to dry. One in the right hand to get the water off and the other on the left hand to dry. I'll swap out the right hand towel more often. I dry the car in the shade of the garage.

Zaino products are confusing. Z this and Z that. I've written a list of products that most use
    Z7 Wash
    Z18 Clay
    Z5 + ZFX
    Z2 + ZFX
    Z8
    ZCS
    Z-AIO

Confusing but the steps I need to do are to
    Wash
    Clay
    Touch up scratch marks and swirls
    Wax
    Polish

I'll generate a list of products for each step.

What about the Adams products. No one seems to talk about those much.

Thanks for the replies.

Kelvin