1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Detecting ready mode from under the hood?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Creech927, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Creech927

Creech927 New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi there.

I’m trying to figure out if there’s a way to detect ready mode by something under the hood. Specifically I’m trying to turn on a piece of equipment I’m installing that I only want to run if the car is in ready mode (not off or accessory mode, as to not allow the device to operate unless the car is running off the traction battery). I need it automatic and fool proof so it only operates when the car is generating a charge to the starting battery.

is there something that goes live in the fuse box only when the car is in ready mode?

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not really. Best I can think of is some type of zener diode that would allow voltage to pass only after it goes above a certain value- maybe 13.5-14V? Use that to control a power relay for your widget.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In my first version aux power distribution thingy I home-brewed a circuit with a zener diode that did that.

It worked great for about six and a half years and then failed ON and drained my battery. But by then I had discovered a little module made by InPower that did the same thing, with some other features I also wanted (built-in current limiting, and a time-delay off, so I could make a brief stop for a fillup or a bite to eat and the accessories would stay on). Those details are in that thread too.