1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Determining max amps with JuiceBox 40

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by JeremyM09, Dec 8, 2022.

1. JeremyM09

JeremyM09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Our new detached garage is getting a 240 volt electric connection which our old garage never had.

I've bought a JuiceBox 40 amp which uses a NEMA 14-50 receptacle and at least a 50A circuit breaker in the new panel in the garage.

I understand that it will throttle down the total amps for the Prius, but to what amount of amps specifically?

We're putting in a second 240 outlet to future-proof the garage and the electrician wants to make sure the wiring from the house will be enough amps for both outlets, though we're uncertain what the other outlet will eventually be for.

Hopefully this makes sense, thanks!

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On Prius Prime, L2 EVSE at 240V will draw a max of 16A.

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  3. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'M THINKING ABOUT the Juice Box 48 myself. I understand it needs a 60A breaker and #6 THHN wire run to it from the service panel of the house. No problem. I just did this for a Hot Tub install and have down it 3 other times in different homes. From what I can see the Juice Box only need L1 and L2 and a ground. Correct? No neutral.

4. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, but for "future proofing" and versatility you may want to consider making the run with a four wire to a 14-50 outlet. A tad pricier but if you're going to pull it anyways...

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Future proofing sounds nice, but really doesn't have much of a payoff. Both of our EVSE on 40-amp lines are 5.5 years old now. Upgrading from Prius Prime to bZ4X makes no difference. It's plenty... 8 hours of pulling 32 amps delivers around 200 miles.

6. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    True. Well the main reason with going with the Juice box 48 is my wife plans to buy a TESLA and with the adapter the Juice Box 40 can charge a Tesla and ANY other BEV or PHEV. I just want to buy once and cry once. The tesla charger is $600 and the JUice Box 40 is $779.
    I will probably just buy and install both. I know you can daisy chain up to 4 Tesla units together...but they all have to be Teslas.