1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Detroit axle brand - front struts - has anyone here used them?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BrokenWrench, Jan 3, 2021.

1. BrokenWrench

BrokenWrench Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a 2007 prius with 242,000 miles on it. The front struts are pretty much shot and I've been thinking about low cost replacements.

Has anyone here used the Detroit Axle brand with good results and if so how many miles have you put on them?

Thanks in advance.

2. BrokenWrench

BrokenWrench Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I also see that Rock Auto has KYB ready struts for a similar price of just under $ 100.00 each.

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never heard of the first brand, but KYB was the likely OEM supplier for this product. Just buy KYB if quality is a concern.

4. blackedout2005

blackedout2005 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    dont buy detroit axle anything. they are scammers. they stole $179 from me

5. BuyJapanese

BuyJapanese Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've never had a problem with Detroit Axle. Share the full story if you want to help influence people.

6. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Feel free to do a google search.

Avoid anything made by Detroit Axle.
    Fwiw, Detroit Axle used to be a good company and brand.
    Then, they sold the company, and basically the brand name.
    Now, basically all Detroit Axle stuff is low-cost junk, made with very inferior/low-quality parts, even the American-made stuff.

Some quick references:
    Very Quick read:
    Used to pass the Detroit Axle factory ever day on the way to work- are these made in the USA or outsourced/rebranded?
    Amazon.com: Customer Questions & Answers

Long video review:

LCA comparison Moog vs Detroit axle one is found lacking in quality
    MACTFORDEDGE

(My Notes about the video review above: I don't know anything about the reviewer. My guess is that he doesn't have a MechE (mechanic engineering) degree.
    A ball joint held in a a snap-ring. WTH?!?!? Yikes!
    Detroit Axle does that so that they can have a low precision and quality of the ball joint and press joint. Press-fit ball joints are industry standard for just about every vehicle manufacturer. Fwiw, even the "bolt in" Toyota ball joints have the ball joint press-fitted to a metal bracket.)

A big company/conglomerate buying a company with a good reputation, and then using that good company's previous good reputation to sell low-quality high-profit products, is a very old practice, and has been done tons of times.

The same is for a companies with a good reputation, out sourcing their products, and then selling low-quality junk. AC-Delco ("GM"), does that for parts for older vehicles. Buy an "OEM" AC-Delco fuel-pump for your 10+ year old GM vehicle, and you're likely to get the cheapest junk fuel pump that any aftermarket supplier sells - I know all too well.

As for KYB, I know a lot of people seem to like that brand.
    Fwiw, there is little to no difference between KYB shocks and top quality Monroe shocks. And, KYB often costs more.
    Maybe Monroe doesn't offer their pressurized shocks for Prius cars (I haven't looked, no reason to :).
    For Sports cars (and I mean Sports cars, not "Sporty cars" :)), KYB shocks are often viewed as similar to OEM. So, not junk, but clearly nothing to brag about.

Imho, depending on the price difference, I'd suggest Toyota OEM shocks.
    Toyota OEM stuff often easily lasts 10years or 100K miles. You have proof on your car, and millions of others.
    As for KYB products....

Good Luck!

#6 prius16, Mar 30, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2022