1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Detroit driving us to buy foreign cars

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jkash, Jan 8, 2006.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Detroit driving us to buy foreign cars

It is the American auto manufacturers who are unpatriotic as they have done nothing to help reduce our dependence on foreign oil. The American car buyer is not unpatriotic by buying what Detroit doesn't offer, namely good dependable cars that use a lot less gas. I drove only American cars from 1980 to 2005, when I purchased a Toyota Prius hybrid. Detroit puts out nothing like it, and I don't feel unpatriotic at all.

Read more here.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not a bad letter and puts things into perspective.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My friend has an "American made" Dodge pickup which was manufactured in Mexico by a German managed company. Before I bought my Prius I sold a "Japanese" Honda Accord which was manufacturered in Ohio. The distinction blurs.

4. Florida Prius

Florida Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When I lived in the Detroit area (Ann Arbor) there was a lot of pressure to buy "American". And I did. I bowed to the pressure and people who threatened that the vehicle would be "mysteriously" damaged if it were other than an American brand. Well, that was way back in the 80's. I still have that car - My "airport" car now that I fly around. It sits at the airport for a couple weeks then I drive it home and it sits there for a couple weeks. But, I digress. I'm wondering if the same mentality still exists in that area. Anybody (especially Detroiters)?

5. Rabid1

Rabid1 New Member

Personally, I would LOVE to buy American when they can engineer, and build, a vehicle that comes close to what the Japanese have been doing for years.

We have the engineers. We have the resources. What's preventing American car manufacturers from producing better vehicles than the foreign manufacturers? This has baffled me forever.

Every time I shop for a new car I do a lot of research and test driving. This includes American brands. Same old crap, different body.

I'm ashamed of Detroit. Does this make me unpatriotic? HELL NO!!

6. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

I agree. I did really want to try & buy America. The 'Employee pricing' was very attractive last year. In the class I was looking for, the top cars I found were all foreign... I was looking at compact/sub with top gas mileage with a history of reliability, or predicted reliability. My search, in no particular order, came down to a buy on one of these:

Scion XB
    Toyotaa Corolla
    Toyota Echo
    VX Jetta/GOLF . TDI
    Honda Civic
    Honda Civic Hybrid
    Prius

The only 'American' cars that came close were the & Chev Prizm & Ford Focus, but it's mileage is disappointing for it's size.