1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Devestating experience at the dealer/ done with Toyota?!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by joy, May 8, 2006.

1. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry for your bad experience. While it's a sad state of affairs that car dealers can be very slimy and telling which ones are and which aren't are impossible until the rubber hits the road. Unfortunately, though I don't like the accusatorial tone, I tend to agree with the general intent of daron's post. The bottom line is buyer beware. If they promise you something, get it in writing, if they won't put it in writing then don't believe it until you see it.

I think the action you've taken with the letter is a good start, a f/u phone call to the TV guy might be a good idea. Sending the letter to the owner of the dealership via certified mail requiring a signature should assure it's seen and not just dropped into the circular file.

That said, I think you should not punish Toyota and the Prius by going to something else b/c of the behavior of this one dealer. You could (and might) have just as bad of an experience with a Ford dealer, GM dealer, etc.

I definately agree that you should call around to dealers within a couple hundred miles...that really isn't that far if they have a car in stock that meets your needs. Consider some flexibility on the color...I know that's as important as air and sex to some people, but you can't see the color when you're driving and most of the colors look nice. I'd personally take anything but white. Don't compromise on the package..esp. as far as the safety stuff goes. Those are things that will impact your daily driving and are hard or impossible to upgrade later.

Finally, if all local/regional efforts fail consider contacting our PriusChat Sponsor in Chicago. I bet you could find a cheap flight up and make a nice weekend drive home becoming familiar with your new car:
    http://priuschat.com/New-Unallocated-Hybri...and-t18814.html

3. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Joy,
    What color /package are you looking for for both of you? Seems like a #7 but what colors/interiors?

We can get our PriusChat'ers to work....

4. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(inventor00 @ May 9 2006, 11:38 AM) [snapback]252185[/snapback]</div>
    yep.....I'm still getting emails from dealers about incoming cars...(in the Houston area)

here's an email I JUST RCVD -- "Hello Mike, I will have a Silver Prius with package #5 coming in that is available if you are still in the market for a Prius, give me a call, thanks.

Ulysses Price
    Internet Sales Manager
    Mike Calvert Toyota Inc
    Tel: 713 558 8230"

5. joy

joy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ May 9 2006, 10:11 AM) [snapback]252121[/snapback]</div>

6. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    But the rest of us are trying to help you....what color are you looking for?

7. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not at all surprised by the behavior of this dealership. Metro dealerships tend to be the worst. It doesn't matter how badly they treat one customer, there is always another with thicker skin or less sensitivity or less scruples who will come in and fill the gap.

I know you have purchased a car before this attempt and I can understand how a positive car purchase excursions in the past would cause you to believe what this dealership and its sales creatures would tell you with regard to vehicle arrival. However, in all things business, unless it is in writing, don't trust it.

Dealerships rely on things not being in writing in order to do what they have done to you. As such, if you are "on a schedule" with regard to a vehicle purchase then that dealer either needs to give you a contractual schedule regarding delivery with appropriate consideration and consequence for non-performance, or you don't operate on a schedule with regard to the dealer.

I think your complaint about the dealership is fair, but as an outsider looking in, I see many things you have done to yourself with regard to this situation. Selling your vehicle prior to taking delivery of your new vehicle is really the largest and most obvious mistake. As I might tell friends, family or loved ones; this is a learning experience and definitely something not to be repeated again.

My only good suggestion is to pound the pavement, or rather, take some time on the Internet and find all the Toyota dealerships inside a 300 or 400 mile radius of your home and start making calls. I am certain that there are dealerships with Prii on the lot and I'm also sure you can find a dealer that would be happy to find you the package and colors you want without any extra hassle.

Get your deposit back from the first dealer, they have not delievered a vehicle for you and as such they have no claim on the deposit. If necessary get a lawyer to go to bat for you with them. A letter from a law office tends to get attention and action pretty quickly. And also, do not agree to a deposit with any other dealer.

Keep in mind that the Prius inventory issue has created a lot of false structures for doing business that dealerships are capitalizing on, such as deposits and waiting lists and "take it or leave it" delievery policies. This is a situation which Toyota corporate needs to nip in the bud, but so far has failed at doing. Shame on them.

8. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

It's wierd, though. I bought my Prius from the same dealer and same salesperson and had a wonderful experience. Although there were a few snags, Tracey was quick to resolve my issues. The car was exactly what I wanted and was delivered as promised (it, too, was on its way when I agreed to buy it). I found her to be very honest, upfront and easy to deal with. She gave me a good price on my trade, sight unseen (I was dealing with her from out of state). When I got there it had 1 mile on the odometer -- she said she was very protective of my car and would not let anyone test drive it (it was the only one they had and it was sitting there almost a week before I could drive down and get it). I gave her glowing reviews on the Toyota questionnaire.

I wish you had had a similar experience!

9. joy

joy New Member

this is in reply to darenspinchers post
    I agree with you about not selling my car first, I do regret that. I don't want to sound naive and I have done much research before doing this. This is what happened with my car--- I put down the deposit March 22 for the Prius. Put my car up for sale a couple of weeks later ( thinking a little over 2 weeks before delievery date to sell my car was realistic). Someone from Oregon (Kathy) wanted it, she knew my situation and didn't need the car till May, she put down a deposit of $2000.00 so I wouldn't sell it to anyone else, and let me use my car untill the delivery date of the Prius (extremely nice of her) I took off some $ from the price of my car for her doing this, as I was putting miles on it. It seemed like the perfect settup, and when the cars delivery date came and went (I thought 38 days was ample enough time for them to get the car, in addition to being told I would have it within that time), Kathy let me keep my car alittle longer (as she wasn't needing it yet). I explained to Tracey(dealer) my situation, and she said we will have it on the 1st of May or for sure or within that week, so not wanting Kathy to wait any longer, and Tracey telling me it will be in and to go ahead, I sold my car while Tracey watched. It was maybe not the smartest, but with all of the circumstances and promises, it was a tricky situation, plus Tracey was going to give me a car in the interm saying we will have the car in this week. The part that was bad as far as the dealership goes, that I won't take responsiblity for is the way they handled the cars being damaged. (I'm sure you read the letter). That was wrong, and that's why i'm so angry. I have been extremely nice with Tracey throughout this whole experience, up untill last Thursday, when she told me the cars were damaged in transport. Even then, considering how disapointed and frustrated I was, I was still very nice. I have never talked to her direspectfully or rudely, at this point my communication with her is on a business level only, and firm but polite. I wrote the letter to stand up for myself and get this resoved, as they dropped the ball. I feel they wanted to get out because they had no idea I would end up having two brothers who did body work on cars and would catch thier illegal practices, and it scared them. I do not want to buy a vehicle that had been damaged and is being sold to me at full price! The fact that it was going to take 1 week for my car and two weeks for Mellisa's, tells me that there may have been more damage than a dent or broken windshield. Those can be fixed in a day or so, and they woudln't want to take any longer than necesary to fix something minor as it was costing them $ for the rental cars. By the way, I did make sure Tracey signed a copy of the agreed charges before I gave her a downpayment, thought I was prepared. I respect your courage to speak your opinion, even though it doesn't support me, and I can see your point of veiw about me selling my car, but not about the dealership's lack of responsibilty, and appalling practices.

10. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 9 2006, 10:39 AM) [snapback]252111[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: How many suspensions has squid had imposed upon him so far? Perhaps that little statistic could go in his signature eh?

11. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This dealership's practices are apualing, however this is a song that is sung here all the time. It would be sung at a Taurus web sites or Ford sites or Camry sites too, if they had the attention that the Prius has. In general, the Toyota dealer network, in 5 years after having the first Prii show up on U.S. shores, still doesn't know how to sell these cars, how to maintain or manage inventory and how to satisfy the Prius customer base. As a side note, this would make a great college or MBA program case for how not to manage customer relationships.

But I'm totally convinced that if you were purchasing a special order Camry, you probably would have had the same issues with these folks. I think this is just a bad dealership, that found itself having to do more for you and your friend than the typical car buyer and wanted out. end of story.

Were the cars damaged prior to delievery? You and I will never know. It is possible. It is also possible that this is just one of many dealer lies they pull out of their sack of tricks to escape from a sales situation which is not working in their favor.

In any sales situation there are inexpensive customers and expensive customers. You don't know which way a customer is going to go until you get involved with their purchase. The ethical thing to do when a customer starts to become expensive is to do your best to complete the sale and take whatever profit you make on them in the end. The hope is that you satisfied them and they will be back again and the next time they will be less expensive. The inexpensive customer who closes the sale quickly pays the bills and keeps the organization alive, but a good business needs both customers. Expensive customers tend to spend more and tend to vocalize their pleasure or displeasure over a sales experience more than an inexpensive customer.

This dealership has chosen to spin off an expensive customer because they don't want to deal with the expense. Unethical and self-serving. They deserve to loose your business and more importantly your future business.

Again, good luck. Look at rural dealers for your vehicle.

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i don't think the cars were damaged if they can't provide evidence.

it's entirely possible they were fine and went to the highest bidder as i mentioned. the likelihood of something being "damaged" and then all-out disappearing being legitimate? very low. the likelihood of a dealer wanting more profit and lying? high.

13. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

It is frustrating when dealers come on as all "truthy" and then fail to deliver what they promised. I had that experience with Dianne from Carson Toyota. I put down my deposit check of $500 for my place in line when the 2004 Prius came out. She kept talking about her superior morals and it was supported by others who had good experiences with her in the past. But when the rubber hit the road she couldn't deliver. After I waited many months past her estimated time of delivery she changed her tune to something along the lines of "You might want to buy elsewhere because I sold your car to people willing to pay more than you and I agreed, and will continue ignore our agreement and sell to people willing to pay more." Well, those weren't her words but that was the jist.

The takehome lesson is simply don't rely on a car dealer's word. Protect yourself.

14. joy

joy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(inventor00 @ May 9 2006, 12:43 PM) [snapback]252237[/snapback]</div>
    That's very nice of you to extend your help. We are looking for 2 pkg 7, one silver, the other silver pine mica, both with grey interior.
    I intend to talk to the dealer today, the GM has finally responded and has been calling this morning. I have no idea what he is going to propose, but have heard they can get the cars. At this point, we both feel we don't want to do business with them unless they have found the cars at another dealership for us, or they're willing to give us a price break (which would be Tracey's commision, seems only fair). otherwise, it still makes us feel sick to even support them at all, but we will see what they have to say, I suppose, and then decide what to do from there.

15. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree selling both your cars before the arrival of the Prius(s) was a mistake. I don't think global warming is relevant to the problem your having with the dealership. Also I didn't understand the paragraph about Tracey being able to special order a vehicle. Still, I would think you have a pretty good case to get the next two Prius that come in from that dealer. You and your friend are both witnesses and the actions taken by the dealer (letting you drive a fleet vehicle) would seem to side with what you are saying. If you leave the deposits with them and they do not get the cars quickly, you can BOTH take them to small claims court. It is usually a $5000. limit so that would be $10,000 the dealer would be on the hook for. That might speed things along and won't cost you lawyer fees. Be sure to have ALL your paper work and witnesses the FIRST time because you will need to prove everything you say the FIRST time. You get one shot to explain your side. I think the judge will want to side with you if he can legally. After all the dealer should know better about selling cars than you should about buying them. Go down to the court and file the small claims papers and have the dealer served. He might start to rethink his position. I think the dealer just wants you to walk away, once you get your deposit back it's over. Good Luck.

Edit: Your damages would be possible loss of tax credit, rental fees, costs involved in getting a different vehicle further away, paying more for the same vehicle, possibly having to buy a vehicle that gets less mileage (on a side note, get a Civic Hybrid and get the dealer to pay for the gas difference), be creative. The biggest fear for the dealer is getting before a judge, you never know how those crazy judges will rule!

16. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Joy: in the past, people in Socal were having luck buying prius off the lot in Barstow of all places. Good luck.

17. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ May 9 2006, 02:36 PM) [snapback]252263[/snapback]</div>
    I was actually thinking about that... and leaving one with a blank date for "BANNED". :D

FWIW, I know it's probably too far, but hey, you never know... A local dealer (where I got mine actually) outside of Boston, has 7 '06's sitting in their lot....

http://www.iramotorgroup.com/new_inventory...bodystyle=clear

18. bigj3347

bigj3347 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I get the impression that those of use who live in the southern california region are spoiled by our large allotment of prii and great dealer service etc. I only had to wait four days for my silver 05 #6 and that was becasue I wanted silver and not the white one they already had on the lot. I went to Quality Toyota in Corona, CA. They had i think two silver #6s and 2 Black #6s on the lot as well but when I asked about it, my sales rep said those were already spoken for so they weren' available. Now one would think that is standard practice for all dealers but judging from this thread, i guess it is not. Quality didn't take a cent from me until they handed me the keys to my prius too, I asked if he needed a deposit or anything and he said no. I don't know how long a drive AZ is from CA but I'm pretty sure Longo Toyota and Quality Toyota would have cars in stock, they always seem to these days, at least whenever i stop by to pick up some filters.

19. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joy @ May 9 2006, 03:01 PM) [snapback]252279[/snapback]</div>
    Getting the cars you want at the agreed price and not having to pay rental fees seem pretty fair to me. Usually there's some overlap with two vehicles if you are not trading in your car. You probably sold your car for more than the trade-in would have been. They are going to sell whatever Prius they get in so I wouldn't be too worried about the profit they make on those cars.

20. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Nuts, isn't there a way to delete double posts? I hit the back key and then accidentally hit the refresh button and BINGO a double post.