1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Devestating experience at the dealer/ done with Toyota?!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by joy, May 8, 2006.

1. brighamwj

brighamwj Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sms92 @ May 12 2006, 11:02 PM) [snapback]254537[/snapback]</div>
    Excellent comment... With the Kanban system of JIT production there is no reason toyota cannot sell direct in the U.S. market. Except that dealers would have to restructure.

2. RedVeragoe

RedVeragoe New Member

3. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the issue Toyota has had with the Prius, their various North American sales divisions and of course the sales creatures on the showroom floors is pretty simple. They didn't define the rules of engagement regarding the sales of a vehicle that was in limited production prior to delievering them to dealers.

Aside from Gulf States and South East regions, Toyota basically runs the remaining NA sales regions. Corporate in Japan could have laid down the law and given the NA divisions a take it or leave it proposition with regard to how this vehicle was to be allocated and sold.

I suppose it would have gone something like this:
    • No deposits are taken. The car is popular enough that should a buyer walk away from a dealer, another buyer will come along. There is no lost money or any extra flooring cost with a vehicle that doesn't sit on the lot very long after its arrival.
    • Orders are placed by a dealership to the regional sales office. The regional office will then keep track of all orders making sure that specific colors and packages are delievered to dealers with customers who are waiting.
    • There are no side stickers or markups beyond MSRP. If a dealer wants to deal below MSRP, more power to them, but nobody gets prefferential treatment becasue they are crazy enough to pay money in addition to the MSRP. Toyota has determined the amount of profit a dealer is going to get off the car, end of story.
    • Packages and color combinations that are not on order by anyone in a region will go to the lot to be sold. No customer will be told that what is coming in off the car carrier is what they get. Somebody will buy the white package 1 eventually, and probably sooner rather than later.
    • Dealers will place orders onto a central computer system in the presence of the buyers. Buyers will be given a printout of the confirmed order and the contact information for the dealer they are working with, the sales manager of the dealership they are working through and at least two contacts at the Toyota regional office they may contact if they are not satisfied with the progress of their order.
    • In additon, any party who is contacted by a buyer and does not return the call withing a 24 hour period during the regular business week will cost the dealer or Toytoa $500 off the price of the vehicle as compensation for lack of attention to a waiting customer. This would be incentive to take care of the customer or risk loosing profit on the vehicle.
    Sure, this is pretty harsh, but it would have been just one of numerous conditions that would have improved the buying experience for everyone.

4. jclay1965

jclay1965 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dealing with most car dealerships is an unpleasant nigthmare--it's like horse trading. They are only out to make as much money off of you and the deal as possible-- just keep that in mind. I didn't particularly care for the dealership where I ended up getting my Prius, however, I love the car and that's all that matters. Today I went to the dealership and cancelled my 'Extended Warranty' (which was offered through a third party, not Toyota) as well as a 'Road Hazard/Tire/Wheel' Warranty that I purchased and feel are not worth the money after educating myself after the fact and reading various forums here on the website. Feels good to know I'll be getting a check from the dealership soon.

You have to be firm with these people and not act as if you are a pushover, otherwise they'll give you the run-around and a bunch of backtalk. Be pushy and I am sure you'll get your Prius soon.

5. joy

joy New Member

Hey guys, here's an update of the latest GOOD events. I know there are some of you that have been very supportive and did not want me to even mess with this dealer anymore, which I understand. I myself was so put off by my experience that I almost walked away. My letter reached the GM and he has done an incredible job of salvaging the situation. I really thought my whole Prius experience would be permanently tainted from this. I felt that I needed to give this guy an opportunity to fix things, since i've never worked with him before and he promised (there's that word again) he would take care of us. He has been great, and has done more than I could have ever asked for to make sure we are completely happy. We went in the dealership on Saturday and picked up my friends car and they were incredibly generous, attentive, and proffesional. We dealt with both GM's at the dealership, and they were both great guys. I can't reveal all the details, but trust me when I say, they gave us a great deal. I still don't have my Prius yet, but they put me in a brand new 2007 Toyota Camry to drive while i'm waiting, it had 0 miles on it, NEW!!! Crazy nice. They genuinely want us to be very happy customers and are doing everything in their power to make that happen. They have stepped in and are willing to clean up someone else's mistake at their own expense. This isn't about a profit for them anymore, this is about integrity and doing the right thing, and I am grateful that someone with authority and compassion is running the show. He won't let me settle for another package, color, ect and want's me to get what I really want, and is going to get it for me. I can't wait to get my car, but have to admit i'm not hurtin too bad with this new Camry (it's a fantastic car). I am looking forward to the day when I will finally have my car and can tell you how much I love it! Thanks for all your support and hope that your happy for us inspite of the rough ride to the finish.

6. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Joy,
    I am glad that your firend got her car. Let us know when the happy event arrives for you!!!!

7. joy

joy New Member

Ok, I got my car on Thursday night and man do I love it!!!!! It's been ages it seems since I first posted this thread and I have to say I am so happy, everything turned out wonderfully. The GM I have been working with has been outstanding and has taken extremely good care of us.

I love my car (did i mention that), it's crazy how much more I appreciate it after having gone through this whole thing. It's strange, but it kinda feels like a pet car, i'm already so attatched to it, it talks to me and vice versa, accomidates and guides me on my daily journeys, it's very clever and smart. I have 3 cats and my love for my cats doesn't even compare to an inatimate object at all, but it's a love none the less. What a cool car. I think iv'e been deprived, reading all your posts about your experience with your cars has left me desperate to have mine, and now Iv'e gotten a little obsesesed with it, (I know there are some of you that can relate, so i don't feel too nutty).

Thanks for all the support everyone has showed, this is a great forum with a lot of kind- hearted, like-minded generous people who share thier wisdom, and experiences to help others , it seems to be the Prius mentality, it's refreshing.

purrr purrrrrr :p

8. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jclay1965 @ May 23 2006, 11:09 PM) [snapback]260085[/snapback]</div>
    I always bear in mind that car dealers are the modern day version of horse traders. And their lack of ethics, honesty, etc., etc. are celebrated in many stories that end up in tar and feathers! :lol:

9. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joy @ Jun 18 2006, 01:37 AM) [snapback]272953[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe it's the fact that I also own 3 cats and a Prius that makes me empathize with you, but I am delighted to read the happy ending to this otherwise heartrending thread.

I am a bit suspicious that it wasn't just your letter to the GM that turned him into such a gummy bear. More likely, he heard from Toyota in no uncertain terms. I recall a similar experience many years ago, with a Chevy dealer that promised something not normally available. (That should always make you suspicious.) After many unfulfilled promises to make it happen, I wrote to GM (the corporation in Detroit) and they reamed him good.

Now enjoy the fruits of your suffering. Good luck and lots of fun in your Prius. And keep us posted on your experience with the car and the dealer.

10. Mauibound

Mauibound New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeromep @ May 23 2006, 12:14 AM) [snapback]259608[/snapback]</div>
    Okay, somebody give this person a job at Toyota now please. Very well thought out. Nice job.

11. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with Jeromep. Such measures will keep those "bad apple" dealers from ruining Toyota's (and associated dealer's) reputations which also hurts the Prius and hyrbid reputation.

For some reason no one wants the upper packages. I had a choice to take the top package on the lot or wait 6 mo in a waiting list for lesser packages. We decided to just take the two on the lot.

Your story is why I hate when I have to go buy a new car. I will hope to have our two priuses/prii for many many years. I will only get something new if they manage to double the MPG after 6 years (our break even point).

12. Mary Snyder

Mary Snyder New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joy @ May 9 2006, 01:24 PM) [snapback]252260[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Jun 18 2006, 09:19 AM) [snapback]273016[/snapback]</div>