1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes - HV Battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Adam Russell, May 30, 2014.

1. Adam Russell

Adam Russell New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2006 Prius 128K miles - second owner

The dreaded triangle lit up on my way to work yesterday, with check engine light and VSC light. I immediately took to my dealer. They told me it was probably just a loose gas cap, and to try and drive the car a few more days. Today the car began experiencing trouble accelerating and we took it back. They ran the diagnostics with the below listed codes:

P0A80
    P3018
    P0571
    P0607
    P3000

The dealer told us they were "history" codes which meant it was not a current problem and could have just been a "burp" in the system. Told us it was "really weird" and they weren't sure what the problem was, but may be the battery - really couldn't tell us anything. Told us they could either replace the Hybrid Battery ($3,048.67) or we could keep driving it and see what happens. I picked it up today and the red triangle, VSC, and check engine lights remain on. I have attached scans of the codes. I am wondering what alternatives I have. Reading through these posts it appears I should maybe try the 12V first? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attached Files:

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The first two DTCs indicate the HV traction battery has a problem. If it has, you should be hearing the battery cooling fan running at its highest speed. It's located kitty corner from the drivers seat. Another indicator is the HV battery charge level on the MFD. It should be fluctuating fairly rapidly from purple bars to all green bars if the HV battery has an issue.

uart likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, a loose gas cap does not release the dreaded 'triangle of death.'

4. Adam Russell

Adam Russell New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    jadziasman - that is exactly what it is doing. It had one purple bar upon start today and I was able to get it up to green in no time. My wife said the rear blower fan in the back seat is blowing very hard.....

5. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Then it seems the HV battery in your Prius needs to be replaced. You have many options: new, rebuilt, salvage, or DIY cell replacement. I have not needed to replace the one in my 05 Prius yet - luckily.

6. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I researched it when mine did nearly the same after 250k, found the best value was brand new from the dealer upgrade. I had my independent certified mechanic at Lexology do the work. battery $2500 exchange and I paid 700 for install and tune up and detail.

iPhone ?

7. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A potentially cost effective alternative would be to rebalance the hybrid battery cells with our grid charger. It's the best preventative maintenance possible for a Prius Hybrid battery. The sooner one is used on the pack, the better the odds or preventing a full cell failure. If cells have not yet failed completely, and are displaying symptoms due to the NiMh cells being imbalanced, than our sub-$400 grid charger will resolve the issue. However, if a cell/module has already failed, then the grid charger will not be able to recover it.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you are in a carb state, the dealer should replace it for free. The codes indicate 100% bad hv battery. Why would dealer say "maybe"? What state are you in?

SM-N900P ?

9. Adam Russell

Adam Russell New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am in Kentucky. Not sure why the dealer cannot say for certain. They said "history" codes, and not current code.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You are not in a CARB state, no warranty applies to your car now. You can probably try and have someone rebalance the battery pack (as described in post #7 above), that will prolong the life of the battery a little longer. I would not travel too far away from home with this battery pack, it can fail you when you least expect it.