1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Diamond Lane

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by TeePee06, May 13, 2007.

1. TeePee06

TeePee06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is California the ONLY state that allows EV owners to drive in the diamond lane???

2. Stringmike

Stringmike New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TeePee06 @ May 13 2007, 02:57 AM) [snapback]440956[/snapback]</div>
    Nope - Arizona does too.

Mike

3. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We have HOV lanes in the Atlanta area of Georgia , too. But no Hybrid permit. Really disapoints me too, I've called everyone I can think of, and no one will make it happen.

4. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow.. y'all need some perspective... as far as I know we do not even have any HOV lanes in the entire state of Ohio (someone correct me if I am wrong). I have never seen any in Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnatti or Toledo... and I am fairly certain Akron, Canton or any of the other mid-size cities dont have them... and we have nearly 12 million people in Ohio... with a lot of Prii... So perspective people, perspective... At least you have HOV lanes... so go get a passenger and carpool.. that is what they are for!

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgdrewsif @ May 14 2007, 08:40 AM) [snapback]441548[/snapback]</div>
    Ha, I like this reply. It reminds me of how we all view the world through our own situations. Not only do we not have HOV lanes where I live, we don't have divided highways. The State of Michigan does, obviously, but not in this part of the state. I have to drive for and hour and a half to get to one. I tend to look at driving as having to do with two lane roads. Our traffic problems are caused by tourists and old people. We do have traffic tie-ups during rush hour in Traverse City, which is the nearest large city (population 14,532), but these are caused by a few traffic pinch points into and out of the city and could be fixed if the local citizens would agree on where to add more roads.

Talking about traffic and the roads in the U.S. is like the old story of blind men describing an elephant.

Tom

6. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgdrewsif @ May 14 2007, 08:40 AM) [snapback]441548[/snapback]</div>
    Nope they definately don't exist in Akron or Canton, as far as I know the closest we have in Ohio is that there are a few places in Cleveland and Columbus that have "Express Lanes" .

Oh I thought I had heard that hybrids have unlimited access to HOV lanes in VA, but I could be wrong.

7. jtmhog

jtmhog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ May 14 2007, 12:15 PM) [snapback]441694[/snapback]</div>
    Norther VA (around Wash D.C.) and Tidewater (Norfolk, Va Beach) have HOV lanes. In northern VA, hybrides and motorcycles have access to the HOV lanes during rush hours when the lanes are restricted. You have to get a clean fuel license plate to be legal. The state stopped issuing the plates for I95/I395 HOV lanes 6/30/06 because the lanes were backing up. I bought my 06 Prius 6/28/06 and applied for the special plates the same day. The original state law allowing the hybrids expired 6/30/07. In 1/07 they extended the law to 6/30/08. I66 in northern VA have HOV lanes and separate regulations. The state still issues special plates for hybrids for I66; those lanes have been backed-up for years.
    The latest grand idea to solve N VA congestion is to convert the HOV lanes into HOT lanes. The T stands for Toll. The majority of residents of VA do not want to spend billions to solve N VA traffic problems. Private companies would fund the expansion (3 lanes) and extension to Frederickburg. VA and charge tolls. Vehicles with at least 3 people and motorcycles would not pay the toll. The companies would keep the money. They would change the toll to regulate the volume of cars on the lanes. If the lanes start backing-up, then the toll would be raised to discourge usage. The estimate for the minimum toll from Frederickburg to the Pentagon, about 43 miles, is $20.00 one way. There would be no maximum toll--whatever the traffic will bear.

8. Sailfish11

Sailfish11 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TeePee06 @ May 13 2007, 02:57 AM) [snapback]440956[/snapback]</div>
    NYC allows the Prius in the diamond lane.