1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DICE HD-Radio/Ipod Problems/Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Black2006, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Black2006

Black2006 Member

I just had a DICE HD-Radio, with the optional iPod cable, installed.

Couple of issues:

1. Cannot save stations as presets: When pressing the Scan button, nothing happens (except that Scan turns on/off.) Anything I might be doing wrong?

2. Really bad HD-Radio reception in LA. In practice it is much worse than the regular FM when driving. It keeps losing the HD signal every minute or two, and it defaults to analog FM. Or if it is split frequency station, then it just keeps going in and out every minute or so. Basically, listening to HD-Radio when moving is a fairly annoying/unpleasant/ or silent experience. The analog reception of the DICE unit is considerably noisier than the stock Prius radio. Again, is this normal?

2. emtownsend

emtownsend New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Black2006 @ Aug 3 2007, 04:16 PM) [snapback]490155[/snapback]</div>
    I would check your antenna placement/install. Make sure it is up and down and not behind tined glass. The other issues I can't help you with... Someone will be along soon that can though!

3. Inches

Inches Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Black2006 @ Aug 3 2007, 02:16 PM) [snapback]490155[/snapback]</div>
    I have found that you have to lock on to the HD signal before you can save it. I am not happy with the with the over all performance. I have a HD radio in the house and there is an AM station it will lock up on and when I get the car in the open this AM station never goes into HD mode.

IMHO the HD module is not worth the expense.

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Black2006 @ Aug 3 2007, 02:16 PM) [snapback]490155[/snapback]</div>
    How did you ground the antenna?

5. Black2006

Black2006 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Aug 6 2007, 09:54 AM) [snapback]491317[/snapback]</div>
    Not sure about grounding, had an installer come by and put it in.

I did, however, ask him to place the antenna inside the plastic A pillar cover. At the time of install, while stationary, DICE locked onto a couple of HD stations, and there was no difference as to the number of stations regardless of whether the antenna was stuck on the glass, or inside the cover. So, he thought it should be fine.

I am not convinced that the placement of the antenna has so much impact, but in any case, is there another type of antenna for the DICE, which doesn't have to dangle in front of my passenger?

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Black2006 @ Aug 7 2007, 10:55 PM) [snapback]492266[/snapback]</div>

oh boy

You have to have it on the glass because while it's currently stuck on plastic, it's surrounded by metal of your A-pillar. That's going to screw up the signal big time. And if he didn't ground it correctly, it's 2x screwed. There is no other antenna available. If you're so worried about it being seen, why didn't your installer get inventive and run it along side the tint so it's alot harder to be seen?

7. Black2006

Black2006 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Aug 8 2007, 09:35 AM) [snapback]492445[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, boy.... You just made a project for me this weekend:-(

I am assuming that all I have to do, is take the plastic A-pillar cover off, take the antenna out and stick it on the glass. Is there anything tricky I should know?

So, I can stick the black square box way up in the upper right (looking from inside the car) of the window, behind the tinting strip?

Thanks!

8. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Black2006 @ Aug 8 2007, 11:06 AM) [snapback]492514[/snapback]</div>

Yea, that's not a big deal - it's how I have mine setup. The Wire itself cannot be behind tint.