1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DICE iPod integration in 2005 w/ nav

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Brent, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Brent

Brent New Member

I know the answers to my questions are in here someplace, but I am a bit confused and would like any help that members can give me. So far I have not found anything that gives me the confidence to make the DICE purchase for my particular Prius.

I have a 2005 Prius with Navigation system, bluetooth, and the high-end stereo w/ 6-disc in-dash CD player. If I recall correctly, this was a "package six" in 2005.

My wife is getting me an iPod for X-mas.

Am I correct in thinking that the DICE iPod integration unit will work in my 2005 with full functionality - specifically, I will be able to control the iPod with my steering wheel controls & MFD "soft buttons", as well as see the song information on the screen? Will the iPod receive a charge when hooked up? Is there any advantage to the brand name iPod with iTunes as opposed to a generic player with MP3 files?

Will I lose the ability to use my in-dash 6 disc CD player?

The DICE manufacturer page describes a limitation "2" on a table found there, but fails to give a footnote to describe what the limitation is. Does anyone know?

I am sorry for redundant questions, but I am not experienced with iPod devices, nor am I familiar with the DICE unit.

I appreciate any help that PriusChat members can give me.

Brent

2. stomsf

stomsf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brent @ Dec 3 2006, 01:37 PM) [snapback]357094[/snapback]</div>

I'll try.

Pseudo full functionality -- the DICE is a little buggy, depending on who you talk to and how you expect to use it. For me, I am more than happy with it but other PC users are inclined to rip it out of the car because of some of the problems. You can use the wheel buttons to control your iPod but don't expect the full slick interface you get on your iPod with the click wheel -- I've found the best way to use the iPod with the Prius is to set a large playlist of songs that you like and leave it on shuffle. Most of the time I get the right song/artist/album but every once in awhile it'll skip one or all three. Minor annoyance, it usually fixes itself on the next song. The iPod will charge while hooked to the DICE unit. The DICE unit is built to interface with an iPod -- I don't know of any other interface which will output the artist/song/album to the MFD other than an iPod and a DICE/VAIS unit. Satellite will, but that's a different animal.

No, you will maintain use of the 6-disc changer, at least with the DICE.

Not sure what limitation 2 is.

FYI, I have a 2007 Prius but most of the information should be consistent with your car.

3. Brent

Brent New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stomsf @ Dec 3 2006, 08:04 PM) [snapback]357164[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you, stomsf! I truly appreciate the help.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stomsf @ Dec 3 2006, 05:04 PM) [snapback]357164[/snapback]</div>
    A couple of things, it's the DICE for the 2006-2007 that's the really buggy one; that's due to the enhanced graphics. As your Prius is a 2005 #6 (as is mine), it should be better. I've found that if I want to listen to a wide variety, I use the shuffle control on the iPod itself. Normally I want to listen to a specific playlist, so I can use the controls on the steering wheel and the MFD. For example, I plug in the iPod and it plays the first song on the first Playlist. I make sure it's on D2 and that allows me to change playlists (using the buttons on the steering wheel) alphabetically. When I'm on the chosen playlist I hold the "down" button on the steering wheel, which changes it to D1; this allows me to change within a playlist. I've found that in order to see Artist, Album and Title at the same time it has to be on D1.

As mentioned, there is no real advantage using a generic MP3 player over the iPod (at least for a 2005) as all you'll be using is the AUX input. It would be as if you were using a cassette adapter.

Like stomsf, I don't know about the #2 limitation and I can't seem to find it on their site. Could you please provide a link?

I like the DICE, in fact, I got my iPod because of it.

5. Brent

Brent New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Dec 4 2006, 12:48 AM) [snapback]357235[/snapback]</div>

It is in the DICE Toyota Installation supplement - attached.

Everyone, thank you for your help. I think I will get one and give it a try.

Attached Files:

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes and yes. It will charge and you can control using the steering wheel.

A generic mp3 player hooks up via the AUX Input (similar to all 06 cars) and it does not have text display nor car controls. It also doesn't charge the mp3 player.

It makes no difference where you download the mp3. If your player will play the songs, you will hear it via the car's speakers

Nope. It'll just be labelled as CD1. The DICE will be CD2

No idea.

7. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have no idea what note 2 is, but my DICE unit works fine with my 2005 JBL system Prius and my 5G Video iPod.

One weird gotcha is that if you don't select a playlist first, the first song (in my case, The 911 Commission Report, Chapter 3) starts playing when the unit initializes. Easiest to turn on your iPod and select a playlist first, then select CD2.

I also suggest you mostly ignore the DICE installation instructions you posted. Look on here for installation instructions (here are some from me) and you'll be playing tunes in about an hour. You do not need to remove the radio to plug in the DICE unit, and dash ripping is minimal.

Have fun!