1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DICE Prius iPod Integration Unit now works for the 2006!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Danny, Sep 18, 2006.

1. dzoutzidis

dzoutzidis New Member

I know some people have been asking about this and I've been curious too so I did some looking around. The question is:

Can the Toyota Prius play movies on the center screen?

The simple answer seems to be yes, the hard part is how. I asked the DICE tech help guys on their website and they said that yes it can do it. When I looked further into it though it seems as though they didn't include the fact that you'd have to do more than just buy the DICE and an I-Pod and be done with it.

I called up a guy from http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/stor...ml/contact.html and he told me that yes it is possible to get the center screen to play videos but you need to do more than just buy the DICE to do it. He said something about the DICE only plugging into the audio system so unless you got something else to connect the I-POD's video out to your car you'd be SOL. He said they can do it, but it'd probably cost about $500 total to get it.

Personally I was just curious about it as it seemed a good way to spend time in your car if you're waiting for somebody for example but I'm not really willing to spend $500 on it when I can spend about $200 to get the audio only.

Hope this helps someone.

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dzoutzidis @ Nov 13 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]348253[/snapback]</div>
    If you're willing to use a portable DVD player for the input, take a look at http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=16560 to see one way.

3. xraynano

xraynano New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(motty @ Nov 9 2006, 01:22 PM) [snapback]346406[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I sometimes see exactly this behavior, more often as time goes on: things just go blank when you press D2 and up, and only be restored by cycling power. It would be VERY nice if DICE would actually communicate something here about how it should work, and what the proper DIP switch settings are and mean. Or even on their web site! The information they actually provide we now know is simply WRONG. I think I will have to give them a call too...

4. garyrodriguez

garyrodriguez New Member

My DICE unit is starting to act pretty dicey!

I have never been able to display song /playlist titles, tried dips switch setting recommended here, unplugged the unit, took out "dome" fuse. Nothing seemed to help.

Well I was just going to live with it, but now I cannot switch tracks via the steering wheel controls, and it does not turn off when the audio is powered off. I was able to get this to work again one time by disconnecting all wires from DICE unit and reinserting. That worked one time, but now it's back to being flakey and nothing seem to fix it! (disconnedted, pulled the fuse....)

Just opened a ticket with them today. Would be nice to get these bugs fixed! I would be happy to have the "next track from steering wheel" feature back.

5. xraynano

xraynano New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My ticket was in last week, and they suggest unplugging unit and resetting iPod. I did this with no improvement, and I believe I am also seeing degradation of performance with time. At least they acknowledge the problem exists with 2006 NAV units, but their response seemed to suggest that it tested OK originally and the problem is appearing in the field over time. If this is so, it may not be a programming problem but a manufacturing or QA problem with the units. I requested that they consider posting updates here when they learn something more about the problem.

6. garyrodriguez

garyrodriguez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xraynano @ Nov 17 2006, 09:51 AM) [snapback]350775[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, information is alway nice. BTW, they sent me the suggestion that I press the "TITLE" button to get the text. Duh!. I guess they have to assume the end user is somewhat lacking in commons sense. They completely ignored the 2nd part of my ticket where I complained about loss of the functionality of changing tracks via streeing wheel and powering down!

7. cgates30

cgates30 Junior Member

I really wanted to order an iPod kit for my car, but the reviews aren't so good. Can anybody suggest an alternative to the Dice system which actually works? I've got an '06 (JBL, but no NAV). The AUX plug is okay, but I'd like to control my iPod from steering wheel.

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Several people have posted that the Vais product (http://www.vaistech.com/) works a bit better...

Personally, i got the Dice and am not terribly impressed with it (there's some high end static out the tweeters on some songs and the display is messed up, as others have said). I figure thats what i get for getting something so new that they were obviously trying to rush out to sales. So now i'm just waiting for Vais to re-release their AVIC-100i, so i can get both iPod audio, and an auxiliary video input.

9. motty99

motty99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK...

Got the new unit...the most noticeable change is that the logo is now on a "puffy" plastic label, instead of the paper one, that I had on my old unit...

Installed...and in my testing, it has worked like a champ!...it always displays the correct song, when you hit the audio button...

So...I would call Dension and request an RMA...

10. augustson

augustson New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(motty @ Nov 20 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]352055[/snapback]</div>
    What phone number? The 888-Dice-999 one?

11. motty99

motty99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(augustson @ Nov 20 2006, 10:35 AM) [snapback]352072[/snapback]</div>
    I believe so...I created a call on their site first, and they told me to contact them, which I did...

12. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(motty @ Nov 20 2006, 08:03 AM) [snapback]352055[/snapback]</div>
    Which button are you talking about ? Does it display the correct data when changing modes e.g. CD1, CD2, CD3 ? Most of the time mine just goes blank. When it does display the correct data it does make me feel like I won the Lotto :)

Ken

13. motty99

motty99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(H2OSkier @ Nov 20 2006, 02:18 PM) [snapback]352191[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, that was my problem...blanking display...call them and get a new one!

14. xraynano

xraynano New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(motty @ Nov 21 2006, 08:39 AM) [snapback]352467[/snapback]</div>
    I am still waiting for a final diagnosis of the problem. Sounds like they don't know what the problem is but they know the units are bad. I have requested them to replace mine now.

15. augustson

augustson New Member

I just called and they issued an RMA pretty quickly and without incident. My replacement is already on the way! At least they seem quick to try and fix the problem.

16. dzoutzidis

dzoutzidis New Member

Boy.... this is pretty sad... I was waiting for the DICE to come out for the 2006 but now I think I'm going to keep waiting because from the sounds of it EVERYBODY's having trouble with their units! Could it be that I'm only hearing from the people who ARE having trouble so I've got a skewed point of view? Has anybody just bought the unit and had it work without any issues on the first go? From the sounds of things it might be prudent to wait for a month at least to get one.

I even posted a few questions on their website and they haven't answered at all even though it's been a whole week!

17. xraynano

xraynano New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dzoutzidis @ Nov 22 2006, 07:47 AM) [snapback]352960[/snapback]</div>
    I called them to ask for an RMA, and they were quite willing to do so. However, they still don't understand the problem. The units shipped out had tested correctly, and the replacement units they are sending out are from the same batch. So if you get a replacement and it works, great, but they don't understand why and there is a possibility the unit could eventually develop problems again. Their technicians are trying to determine what the actual problem is. I suggested they consider posting updates here. My sense is that they are small and all resources are preoccupied with solving the problem.

18. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just wanted to update this thread and let everyone know that the new shipment of DICE units came in today and I'll be shipping them out Friday via USPS Priority Mail.

I also received 10 iPod cradles. I'll be posting them up on the PC Shop tonight. Here's a quick rundown on the cradles:

* Securely holds 3G & newer iPods, including the Nano
    * Built-in dock connector for quick and easy connection
    * Dock output connector works with any dock-compatible iPod interface
    * 3.5mm mini-jack video output
    * Feed video from your iPod Video & pictures from your iPod Photo or Nano
    * Includes universal mounting base with ball-and-socket swivel
    * AMPS compatible base for easy use with mounting solutions (available separately)
    * Dimensions: 2.75" H x 1.25" D x variable W (not including swivel mount)

19. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  20. cgates30

cgates30 Junior Member

Any updates on performance of new units?