1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DICE Prius iPod Integration Unit now works for the 2006!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Danny, Sep 18, 2006.

1. abqpete

abqpete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(E. Lau @ Jan 13 2007, 09:25 PM) [snapback]375407[/snapback]</div>

Their display at CES was an '05 Prius. When I asked when they would fix the issues with the '06 and '07, the guy there quickly responded (maybe a bit annoyed as it seems that many may have asked) that it would be fixed this week and new firmware would be released. I am under the impression that new units ordered this week will have the fix and older units need to be sent in for an exchange. You should contact your dealer for instructions or DICE directly.

Regards, Peter

2. eric.krause

eric.krause New Member

I got mine right after new years. Finally found a good weekend to do the install. I had a buddy come down and help. (mostly so the wife wouldn't be worried I was going to break anything (I did anyway, don't tell her)). We opted for the short 30 min install. Then routed the wire into the bottom glove compartment by dremeling the holes down there a little bit. I liked this better as the wire was getting pinched when we tried to lay it over the top of the glove compartment.
    It really did take about 30 minutes, with a short pizza break for lunch. I have an 05 prius, and it seems to work fine. My concern has been itunes more then the dice. I've avoided them for a few years now, and have not been looking forward to using the software again.

Next up, adding lumbar support.
    Eric

3. dgstan

dgstan Member

OK - I read 13 pages of this thread and still didn't see an answer to my question.

I was one of the original beta-testers for the first DICE units on an '05. I still have - and am using without incident - the beta unit. DICE says they'd be happy to update my firmware to the latest version @ no charge.

My question is: What enhancements have been made from the old beta units to the latest version? Is the funny text character issue resolved? Does the "previous track" button now function normally (i.e. go back to the beginning of the song rather than the beginning of the previous song)? Does the rewind function work right now?

Is it worth having my firmware upgraded?

4. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is the funny text character issue resolved? YES
    Does the "previous track" button now function normally (i.e. go back to the beginning of the song rather than the beginning of the previous song)? I THINK IT DOES
    Does the rewind function work right now? YES

Is it worth having my firmware upgraded? YES. The only thing that wasn't fixed when I upgraded was the album skip count becoming the playlist number when you go from ALBUM mode to PLAYLIST mode.
    [/quote]

5. tolladay

tolladay Junior Member

Anyone get one with the new firmware? My finger's itching to make the order, but since I have an 06, I'm not in the mood to install it twice.

6. eric.krause

eric.krause New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tolladay @ Jan 20 2007, 12:20 AM) [snapback]378149[/snapback]</div>
    Not sure if you have to return the dice box that you got for the firmware upgrade, but when I installed mine, I ran the cable from the back of the stereo into the glove box. (there is a small hole that we made a little bigger for it to fit through) So the dice unit sits in the little lip in the bottom glove box. Then if they only want the box for the firmware update, you can disconnect it easily and do whatever you need.

7. tomchak

tomchak New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eric.krause @ Jan 20 2007, 11:36 AM) [snapback]378256[/snapback]</div>
    Actually I just sent mine back to get upgraded (I had not installed it yet) and that is all they wanted was the box. So that's a great plan on your part. I'll have to do the same thing.

8. tolladay

tolladay Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eric.krause @ Jan 20 2007, 08:36 AM) [snapback]378256[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, but I'd rather install it out of the way (inside the dash), once, and be done with it.

It'd be darn handy if you could connect the dice box to your computer with a USB cable, download the latest firmware, and install it that way. Kind of like an iPod.

9. eric.krause

eric.krause New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tolladay @ Jan 20 2007, 09:38 PM) [snapback]378470[/snapback]</div>
    Your call. But just lay it in there once and see. I can't even see mine unless I take the glove box off. I agree on the usb cable, that would be a nice way to get upgrades.

10. toad

toad New Member

Has anyone else install the new Firmware? Can someone give some more details? Are all issue fixed? Should i go ahead a order?

Thanks!

11. dzoutzidis

dzoutzidis New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toad @ Jan 27 2007, 01:23 AM) [snapback]381514[/snapback]</div>
    I'm wondering the same thing. I've waited months to get it because so many people have been having problems with it. I think at this point I'm ready to finally get it but so far I haven't heard anybody give it the official OK.

Also, any chance there'll be another group buy or do I have to order it from their website?

12. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I called Jessie (888-DICE-999 x121) today and she confirmed that the new firmware has performed very well in their testing and she is already shipping out replacement units to people who have already tried a swap. She said mine was going in the mail tomorrow, so I'll report back once I get it. If you haven't talked to them before, give her a call and I'm sure she'll hook you up.

As for some people's installation concerns, I thought I'd share my experiences. You know that vent panel to the left of the glove box? The one you have to remove to get at that big white connector block you need to remove to gain access to the back of the radio? In my 2006 there is considerable "empty" space in there just below that block. I was able to shove the DICE up in there and just run the cable into the glove box via the little "dent" that was already present in the back of the glove box. It's very easy to pop the glove box out again, reach my hand back there and pull out the DICE. The last time I swapped the thing it took about 30 seconds all total.

13. tolladay

tolladay Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Zorg @ Jan 31 2007, 04:59 PM) [snapback]383583[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the info. Looking forward to hearing your progress report.

Someone else did a similar install. I know because I remember seeing the photos. Of course it was late at night, and I can't find it now.... Sheesh.

I may just order one anyway. Sounds like it will be really easy to do.

14. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Zorg @ Jan 31 2007, 04:59 PM) [snapback]383583[/snapback]</div>
    I've got a 2007 Touring Prius. It sounds like the DICE works for 2006/2007 Priuses now. I'd like to put it in the little cubby hole just under the radio instead of the glove box because it would be easier to get.

My wife loves to STUFF glove boxes with things so that isn't a good option for me. Either that, or try to run it to the box under the cup holders. I think I should be allowed one spot in the Prius for myself. Don't you? lol

15. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I installed my DICE behind the far right A/C vent and have the iPod in the lower glove box (when it's in use). You can see it in the lower right-hand corner of the picture. The RCA cables are the connections for my portable XM radio (as I have a 2005 and no AUX input). Thus, if I need to get to the DICE itself, all I need to remove is the lower glove box.

[​IMG]

16. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got the "fixed" unit today. Firmware v. A0000A (the old one was v. A00008). So far so good, but I'll give it a few days before checking in with a final opinion. When you install it, notice that the documentation is different, and the car switch has different settings now. For my 2006 I used MP3 mode, DOWN-UP. So far, in the 5 minutes I played with it, I was able to skip forward repeatedly, backwards then forwards again, etc. I did my best to confuse it, but it always caught up and displayed the correct info with a couple seconds of the song starting. Very nice. :lol:

17. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Zorg @ Feb 5 2007, 06:17 PM) [snapback]385838[/snapback]</div>
    One minor observation, if I turn the car off with the audio screen on the MFD, when I start the car again, the audio screen comes back up with just the 6 discs listed, no text. Hitting the audio button twice to toggle out and back in to the screen fixes it. That sounds almost like a Prius issue, not DICE... But I rarely leave it on that screen except when I'm checking out how it works!

18. tolladay

tolladay Junior Member

Thanks for the info Mr. Zorg.

I just ordered a DICE unit from PriusChat. Hopefully it will be the newer firmware.

19. jesart

jesart Junior Member

I just ordered one too! :D I requested the latest firmware in the comments section..., Anyone out there have a DICE installed on a 2007 Prius? Any issues?

20. dzoutzidis

dzoutzidis New Member

Question about how the DICE works. When you're driving, can you change songs if you don't like what you're listening to? Do all the controls on the screen stay active or do they go away as soon as you start moving?
    Now I understand that you can have up to 99 songs on a playlist and 99 playlists total. lets say I'm listening to something on my A playlist and I want to listen to a certain song on the M playlist, how would I get there and to the song I want?

I'm just trying to compare ease of use against buying a new head unit with ipod connectivity for example.